Sponsored by:

Prices are astronomical for 2017 Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 08:01 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

my two cents

buying a brand new car (any expensive brand new car) is a VERY expensive proposition from a depreciation perspective ...notable exceptions being selected limited supply/GT3 cars that hold their value atypically well... generally a 2-3 year old car is the sweet spot, as it is almost new (if well cared for by the first owner), still modern, and generally still under OEM warranty (or certified) but well off the new car price (usually by 25-30-35%, and very expensive options bought new are not well-valued in the used car price)

on top of that is the reality that leasing a car is additionally expensive... the fact is you are using someone else's money to buy the car and you are paying for the cost of using that money... there are details about residuals and money factors but they just determine HOW exorbitant is the additional cost...

third, porsche AG are master capitalists and as such they are truly expert and removing the green stuff from your wallet and bank account, so they price aggressively (base AND options) fully knowing if you want a porsche you will settle for little else

as i look at it, if at the present time you can't afford to pay cash for a luxury item like a new porsche, you really shouldn't have one... work harder, save money, invest wisely, build your career... then buy the porsche when you can just write a check or send a wire for the full amount and drive it away
Old 06-29-2016, 08:03 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Addixion
Folks, unless you're getting a business tax deduction, leasing via PFS is a *bad* option - and I say that as someone currently leasing a 2017 through PFS. The interest rate is 4.8% on the lease - in a low interest rate environment! Yes, the residuals are fairly solid when compared to MBZ and BMW; however, the lack of much movement from MSRP (5-6% in most cases) in combination with the high MF makes the lease less than compelling without a writeoff. If I wasn't writing off, buying the car at 1.99% money (or better yet, buying a 991.1 CPO) makes much more sense.

That being said, my car has a ~$125k MSRP, and with buy rate on the MF plus my discount (and including the residual bump for the prepaid maintenance), my payment is under $1500/month including tax. No cash down other than first month, fees, and prepaid maintenance.

At the end of the day, driving a new-model Porsche will never make good financial sense...you'll never be able to justify it or call it a steal. It'll never be a more sensible deal than what you can get from a number of other marques ($599 Ghibli leases, etc). It's an emotional decision - and I guarantee you that when you're behind the wheel, the last thing on your mind is the poor finances of the situation.
Your price is really great!

Update from another dealership.

4% off of MSRP.
$6000 due at delivery
7.5k a year
30 months lease
$1964.13 per month
RV 66%

Disclosure - I have a better price from a leasing company here in New York. Waiting to hear back from 2 other leasing companies.

Will keep you all posted - I am learning a lot here.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:06 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
my two cents

buying a brand new car (any expensive brand new car) is a VERY expensive proposition from a depreciation perspective ...notable exceptions being selected limited supply/GT3 cars that hold their value atypically well... generally a 2-3 year old car is the sweet spot, as it is almost new (if well cared for by the first owner), still modern, and generally still under OEM warranty (or certified) but well off the new car price (usually by 25-30-35%, and very expensive options bought new are not well-valued in the used car price)

on top that is, leasing a car is additionally expensive... the fact is you are using someone else's money to buy the car and you are paying for the cost of using that money... there are details about residuals and money factors but they just determine HOW exorbitant is the additional cost...

third, porsche AG are master capitalists and as such they are expert and removing the green stuff from your wallet and bank account, so they price aggressively (base AND options) knowing if you want a porsche you will settle for little else

as i look at it, if at the present time you can't afford to pay cash for a luxury item like a new porsche, you really shouldn't have one... work harder, save money, invest wisely, build your career... then buy the porsche when you can just write a check or send a wire and drive it away
Must dispute. "If you can't afford to pay cash for a luxury item like a new porsche, you really shouldn't have one" - can be said for a 2nd home, a home remodel done on a line of credit. Additionally, leaving the capital in your pocket vs paying cash for an item when you can borrow at low interest rate and make more money on the money in your pocket is silly.

It's not about the ability to afford it in cash - in full - it's about the best financial decision taking everything into consideration.

Just my own opinion of course.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:51 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott
Must dispute. "If you can't afford to pay cash for a luxury item like a new porsche, you really shouldn't have one"
Yeah totally. What is stupid is worrying about money so much that you don't have the experiences that make you happy until you're too old to really enjoy them. As long as your retirement plan is reasonable and on track, you should spend the rest of your money exactly how you feel like it.

On the other hand, I use protection so I don't have some snotty kid's college bills to worry about.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:59 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Yeah totally. What is stupid is worrying about money so much that you don't have the experiences that make you happy until you're too old to really enjoy them. As long as your retirement plan is reasonable and on track, you should spend the rest of your money exactly how you feel like it.

On the other hand, I use protection so I don't have some snotty kid's college bills to worry about.
A buddy of mine purchased a Lambo Hurrican last year. Paid $100,000 cash up front - and financed $200k at 1.75%. The 200k in his pocket earning on average of 8% - 12% in stockmarket more than paid for the interest with money left over.

He made the right decision. That's more along the lines of what I meant.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:21 PM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

8%-12% return in the stock market??? Uhh? Can you tell us what stock market that is? Most of us in here missed it ...
Old 06-29-2016, 09:29 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Haha 12, 18, even 47,647% risk-free in the stock market is easy! Just lie about it!
Old 06-29-2016, 09:55 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by LCW
8%-12% return in the stock market??? Uhh? Can you tell us what stock market that is? Most of us in here missed it ...
Various option trading based on earnings, day trading, some good timing, some bad timing. Not consistent but overall it's better to have the money work for you - vs not.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:56 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Haha 12, 18, even 47,647% risk-free in the stock market is easy! Just lie about it!
That's one way, sure.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:09 PM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you were really generating 8-12% return consistently with a moderate amount of risk you would be earning a lot of money as a professional money manager and you would be buying any car you want in cash. Moreover, you would not be wining about Porsche prices being "astronomical"...
Old 06-29-2016, 10:11 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott
Various option trading based on earnings, day trading, some good timing, some bad timing. Not consistent but overall it's better to have the money work for you - vs not.
Yeah... there's a reason there's no options equivalent of Warren Buffet.

People are much more likely to report their good years to their friends than they are to want to talk about it when they take a big loss too.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:13 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by LCW
If you were really generating 8-12% return consistently with a moderate amount of risk you would be earning a lot of money as a professional money manager and you would be buying any car you want in cash. Moreover, you would not be wining about Porsche prices being "astronomical"...
If this is going to spiral into a typical "who's the toughest guy on the internet" - that's a real shame.

Shorting Palo Alto, Going long on US Steel, etc - are we really going to start spending time trying to "shame" someone?

As mentioned, I was referring to another person with the Lambo.

With regards to myself, I'm coming off of my 4th S Class - and the price structure is far more expensive on a Porsche - hence my surprise. Hence my post.

Hence my first quote from a dealer which has been beaten by another dealer, and 2 leasing companies.

Now - if you want to quibble with me for the details to back up these statements - PM me your email - ill begin forwarding over the quotes.

If you want to sit back - open a bottle of good nappa wine - and put those guns away - I'm down with that.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:15 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Yeah... there's a reason there's no options equivalent of Warren Buffet.

People are much more likely to report their good years to their friends than they are to want to talk about it when they take a big loss too.
As I said - win some lose some. But the risks taken are never without some sort of hedging. Long position in stock is sometimes hedged with some puts just in case.

Lets get back to car conversation and leave the finance out.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:19 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by LCW
Nah. I have had a 10.2% return average since the 1980s. A lot more than that since the 2008 crisis - it averages out. All mutual funds. Vanguard, index tax advantaged funds. Low expense ratio.

I don't mean to turn this into a "measuring" contest. ...and yes I bought my 981 in cash and will buy my 991.2 in cash also. It's totally attainable if you are disciplined and non emotional.

...and personal finances are inextricably linked to Porsches. It's obvious.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:22 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

well wtf

my dick is......

hahahahahahahaha

some of these threads just crack me up

Quick Reply: Prices are astronomical for 2017 Porsche