Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prices are astronomical for 2017 Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016 | 02:55 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

The CPO route is best, if you are OK with a 991.1

With 15k down on a 85k CPO 991.1 C4S, which is very possible. You can actually own the car in 5-6 years versus having to give it back with reasonable monthly payments at 2% interest rate.

BUT if you are writing it off, the lease could be advantageous.
Old 06-28-2016 | 03:03 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Not connected to leasing, but check out this thread for great buys on 911s: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8636...k-991-1-a.html
Old 06-28-2016 | 03:04 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mechanic
When Porsche USA's CFO was asked -- "questioned" might be a better word -- about increased cost of the 991.2 at the Rennsport Reunion, he sniffed, "The median income of new 991 buyers is $440k."
Curious where that comes from. I wasn't asked -- never have been that I can remember -- what my income was when I've bought Porsches. If there was any kind of info given it would have been of the "Greater than $XXX" variety, but certainly not my AGI. And of course, I could have just said "$26.3M" or "$75,000" because I felt like it.

So where does he come up with that figure? Surely enough Porsche buyers pay cash or finance elsewhere that any data gleaned from buyers who lease or finance through Porsche would potentially be very flawed, no?

Am I just naive as to my financial privacy?
Old 06-28-2016 | 03:25 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
agreed
it's smoke and mirrors...BMW financial subsidized their US mkt 3 series ( and 5 series to lesser degree ) leases through the 90s and 00s by setting sky high used market fantasy residuals to offer those ubiquitous $ 299 / month radio and newspaper ad come ons ...which an inside mole said resulted in the parent company eating $ 10 billion dollars (!) over that time period in wholesale losses later at Mannheim auctions across the US , as they were hell bent with MBZ and Lexus to be the #1 luxury brand in total unit sales in the US for media bragging rights before the 2007 sub prime stock market melt down , with its US execs' bonuses tied to that , the hell with the parent's long term bottom line , as most of these regional auto industry sales execs then as now drift from company to company every few years and could care less !
It's a dog eat dog business ( see universal emissions cheating )!
Old 06-28-2016 | 03:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MKW
it's smoke and mirrors...BMW financial subsidized their US mkt 3 series leases through the 90s and 00s by setting sky high used market fantasy residuals to offer those ubiquitous $ 299 / month radio and newspaper ad come ons ...which an inside mole said resulted in the parent company eating $ 10 billion dollars in wholesailing them later at Mannheim auctions US , as they were hell bent with MBZ and Lexus to be the #1 luxury brand in total unit sales in the US for media bragging rights , with its US execs' bonuses tied to that , the hell with the parent's long term bottom line , as most of these regional auto industry sales execs then as now drift from company to company every few years and could care less !
yep.
Old 06-28-2016 | 04:37 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Porsche prices astronomical? Why, yes, they are.

When Porsche USA's CFO was asked -- "questioned" might be a better word -- about increased cost of the 991.2 at the Rennsport Reunion, he sniffed, "The median income of new 991 buyers is $440k." In this regard, there's no question that Porsche AG has been moving up market by design, and the company is being rewarded for doing so. That fact is clearly reflected on this forum where those buying new Porsches obviously take some pleasure in listing the cost of their cars and the expense of options they chosen. Curious habit, but it's clearly part of the culture now.
I don't see that much of a cost increase at all when you consider that the 991.2 now comes standard with PASM, rear view camera and sensors.....oh and 20 more hp. (all option I would want anyway) It seems like a reasonable price increase to me.
Old 06-28-2016 | 05:12 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Curious where that comes from. I wasn't asked -- never have been that I can remember -- what my income was when I've bought Porsches. If there was any kind of info given it would have been of the "Greater than $XXX" variety, but certainly not my AGI. And of course, I could have just said "$26.3M" or "$75,000" because I felt like it.

So where does he come up with that figure? Surely enough Porsche buyers pay cash or finance elsewhere that any data gleaned from buyers who lease or finance through Porsche would potentially be very flawed, no?

Am I just naive as to my financial privacy?
There is a post purchase survey that collects all that kind of info if you are willing to answer.
Old 06-29-2016 | 12:00 PM
jury_ca
Pro

Porsche prices astronomical? Why, yes, they are.

When Porsche USA's CFO was asked -- "questioned" might be a better word -- about increased cost of the 991.2 at the Rennsport Reunion, he sniffed, "The median income of new 991 buyers is $440k." In this regard, there's no question that Porsche AG has been moving up market by design, and the company is being rewarded for doing so. That fact is clearly reflected on this forum where those buying new Porsches obviously take some pleasure in listing the cost of their cars and the expense of options they chosen. Curious habit, but it's clearly part of the culture now.
This is why data privacy matters. Who in their right mind would tell Porsche how much you make?
Old 06-29-2016 | 12:20 PM
LCW
Pro

these days it is not difficult for a smart company to extrapolate a lot of information about their customers without getting it directly from their customers. You can easily correlate public real estate records, DMV records, credit report, and other sources to come up with a fairly reasonable profile of your customer... smart companies know how to extract every penny of disposable income out of your pocket... you can be certain of that.. IMHO.
Old 06-29-2016 | 12:41 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jury_ca
This is why data privacy matters. Who in their right mind would tell Porsche how much you make?
Anyone who finances their purchase/lease through PFS shares this info.
Old 06-29-2016 | 01:58 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by tgcrun
PM me, and I'll fill you in on my deal.
PM SENT
Old 06-29-2016 | 02:05 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by STG
"Prices are astronomical for 2017 Porsche"

Is this a surprise

Wait until you look at depreciation
That is what I'm waiting for, a CPO'ed 991.1 is a great deal right now but the 991.2 is so much better, especially up at altitude. It'll lose 50% of it's value in 3-4 years. I can certainly buy a $150K car but can't justify the deprecation. I've leaned my lesson, brought a $100K Mercedes and can't even get 50% of it back in trade in after 3 years of ownership. That's a nice CPO Boxster S or some serious modification money. Money doesn't grow on trees in this household.
Old 06-29-2016 | 03:46 PM
grendel88
Instructor

Originally Posted by MKW
it's smoke and mirrors...BMW financial subsidized their US mkt 3 series ( and 5 series to lesser degree ) leases through the 90s and 00s by setting sky high used market fantasy residuals to offer those ubiquitous $ 299 / month radio and newspaper ad come ons ...which an inside mole said resulted in the parent company eating $ 10 billion dollars (!) over that time period in wholesale losses later at Mannheim auctions across the US , as they were hell bent with MBZ and Lexus to be the #1 luxury brand in total unit sales in the US for media bragging rights before the 2007 sub prime stock market melt down , with its US execs' bonuses tied to that , the hell with the parent's long term bottom line , as most of these regional auto industry sales execs then as now drift from company to company every few years and could care less !
It's a dog eat dog business ( see universal emissions cheating )!
Dead on. I have leased 6 BMWs and never has the end residual been even close.
Old 06-29-2016 | 06:02 PM
aabueg2005
Instructor

Originally Posted by c_Gio
Quick plug for US Bank... They beat PFS in my case... Better in all three ways: residual, MF, mileage.

Had no relationship, dealer did all the work.
I have never leased with a bank, but if they can beat PFS lease rates then it would be great alternative. How much better was it, if you don't mind me asking? I have a C4S with a v260 code , so delivery is around late August so I need to know if I have to stick with PFS sucky rates or not.
Old 06-29-2016 | 07:55 PM
Addixion
AutoX

Folks, unless you're getting a business tax deduction, leasing via PFS is a *bad* option - and I say that as someone currently leasing a 2017 through PFS. The interest rate is 4.8% on the lease - in a low interest rate environment! Yes, the residuals are fairly solid when compared to MBZ and BMW; however, the lack of much movement from MSRP (5-6% in most cases) in combination with the high MF makes the lease less than compelling without a writeoff. If I wasn't writing off, buying the car at 1.99% money (or better yet, buying a 991.1 CPO) makes much more sense.

That being said, my car has a ~$125k MSRP, and with buy rate on the MF plus my discount (and including the residual bump for the prepaid maintenance), my payment is under $1500/month including tax. No cash down other than first month, fees, and prepaid maintenance.

At the end of the day, driving a new-model Porsche will never make good financial sense...you'll never be able to justify it or call it a steal. It'll never be a more sensible deal than what you can get from a number of other marques ($599 Ghibli leases, etc). It's an emotional decision - and I guarantee you that when you're behind the wheel, the last thing on your mind is the poor finances of the situation.

Quick Reply: Prices are astronomical for 2017 Porsche