Sponsored by:

Some guys don't get it

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 02:42 PM
Kennethjk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
That's true but think of the commute that the "average" driver has. I don't care what kind of car you have, it's not fun when you are in bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic. Moreover, not everyone can afford to have a $100K+ fun car for the weekends. When you have a significant monthly mortgage to pay, and invest in a 401K account along with the saving accounts for your children's education, there's not much disposable income remaining. So a $30K Japanese appliance that will easily provide six year 100K miles of trouble free driving with nominal maintenance costs can be quite appealing.
I dont disagree with you and I would never think that anyone should spend more on a car then they could comfortably afford (I am a CPA) but I know a lot of people including close friends that can afford more expensive cars, like BMWs or Audi's and choose Japanese. I bought some of those appliances years ago, nothing wrong with them.

I am sure some of my firends can't understand the fact that I love cars, always have, and at what I buy. People choose to spend on what they consider important and it doesn't bother me in the least. My brothers and brother in law love cars so they are the ones that I speak to when it comes to cars.

Most of my friends just dont know anything about cars. When they hear Porsche they do look up and kind of stare at you, thinking why waste your money.

I drive 30k miles a year and would rather enjoy that time. I've been driving BMW's for over 30 years. Looked at Porsche from time to time and bit the bullet last year and added another one recently.

Best car buying decisions I have ever made
Old 04-09-2016, 04:55 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennethjk
I dont disagree with you and I would never think that anyone should spend more on a car then they could comfortably afford (I am a CPA) but I know a lot of people including close friends that can afford more expensive cars, like BMWs or Audi's and choose Japanese. I bought some of those appliances years ago, nothing wrong with them.

I am sure some of my firends can't understand the fact that I love cars, always have, and at what I buy. People choose to spend on what they consider important and it doesn't bother me in the least. My brothers and brother in law love cars so they are the ones that I speak to when it comes to cars.

Most of my friends just dont know anything about cars. When they hear Porsche they do look up and kind of stare at you, thinking why waste your money.

I drive 30k miles a year and would rather enjoy that time. I've been driving BMW's for over 30 years. Looked at Porsche from time to time and bit the bullet last year and added another one recently.

Best car buying decisions I have ever made
You can get a well sorted 928,944,964, cayman, boxter, etc for 10-20K depending. You do not have to be rich to own a Porsche. As a second or third car is still a first world experience but owning a Porsche is absolutely not out of reach for almost any income level if it is a priority.

Porsche has always made a solid product and is one of the few sportscars worth having with high mileage.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:01 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
You can get a well sorted 928,944,964, cayman, boxter, etc for 10-20K depending. You do not have to be rich to own a Porsche. As a second or third car is still a first world experience but owning a Porsche is absolutely not out of reach for almost any income level if it is a priority.

Porsche has always made a solid product and is one of the few sportscars worth having with high mileage.
I agree, but it doesn't have to be a second or third car! My Boxster was my only car for a couple years.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:28 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,014 Posts

I didn't read all of the comments other than the opening posts.... But I get it.

I would not limit the conversation to guys though. I live in neighborhood that is 1/4 of my income potential. I like where I live.

Every year, we have a block party which encompasses my home. A neighbor comes up to me and gushes about my red 981 Boxster S (it's always hidden in the garage and not my daily driver). It does look a bit exotic but its not that expensive really.

She says...."now that is a status symbol!" These thoughts never entered my mind. Ever. She doesn't get it. Her comments still bother me.

My status symbol is a manual transmission and a naturally aspirated engine that can turn a C7 Corvette into a road block on turn 1.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:49 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carsnob
A friend who is a Big fan of practical "problem - free" Japanese cars, can't fathom the idea of spending $100-150k on a 911.
His take is that it's a lot of money just to show off and look cool .
I suppose a lot of people out there think Porsche owners just want to show off .
Clearly they don't get it...I mean just look at this forum!
I've never really cared about what people think, and the last thing that I would care about in a 911 would be the showing off factor.
Your friend is not passionate about cars. Your friend is into something else. Japanese cars or German cars are irrelevant.

If you're not passionate about something, spending any money on it will seem expensive to you. For example, people that are passionate about cars will spend $100K to millions on it. People that are passionate about watches will also spend a lot of money on it (hello $80K rolex). People that are passionate about clothing will spend a lot of money on it too. People that are passionate for their music instrument, will spend a lot of money on it too (hello $800K violin or maybe a few millions strad). People that are passionate for artistic painting, will spend a lot of money on it too.

For those that are passionate about savings money in bank and enjoy staring their bank statement or feeling rich by the numbers, or maybe passionate about enlightment and living like a monk (obviously nothing is wrong with that), feel free to do it. But, it's uncool to criticize people for having expensive things and doing things that they are passionate about. It's no living if you're not passionate about something.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:31 PM
Kennethjk
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porscheforever
Your friend is not passionate about cars. Your friend is into something else. Japanese cars or German cars are irrelevant.

If you're not passionate about something, spending any money on it will seem expensive to you. For example, people that are passionate about cars will spend $100K to millions on it. People that are passionate about watches will also spend a lot of money on it (hello $80K rolex). People that are passionate about clothing will spend a lot of money on it too. People that are passionate for their music instrument, will spend a lot of money on it too (hello $800K violin or maybe a few millions strad). People that are passionate for artistic painting, will spend a lot of money on it too.

For those that are passionate about savings money in bank and enjoy staring their bank statement or feeling rich by the numbers, or maybe passionate about enlightment and living like a monk (obviously nothing is wrong with that), feel free to do it. But, it's uncool to criticize people for having expensive things and doing things that they are passionate about. It's no living if you're not passionate about something.
Agree with everything you said but let's be real. There are people who only buy some of the things you mentioned just for show.

one of my partners used to buy expensive cars and he had no idea where the engine was and drove 4 miles an hour.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:35 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennethjk
Agree with everything you said but let's be real. There are people who only buy some of the things you mentioned just for show.

one of my partners used to buy expensive cars and he had no idea where the engine was and drove 4 miles an hour.
You don't have to be knowledgeable or intelligent to be passionate. There is no rule that you must conform to certain norms or certain standards in order to own some expensive luxury things. Maybe they appreciate the beauty, the comfort, and also maybe having expensive things bring them luck? You can appreciate good taste in wine or food, but you don't have to know how to make it. You can love a piece of art, but it doesn't mean that you should know the style of the art, the painter, or know how to paint it either. Also, you can be passionate about a car just by taking good care of it (washing, waxing, polishing, etc etc).

Also, IMO nothing is wrong with being 100% poser. They pay taxes for their cars and thus, shouldn't need our approval for what they do for them.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:55 AM
Kennethjk
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porscheforever
You don't have to be knowledgeable or intelligent to be passionate. There is no rule that you must conform to certain norms or certain standards in order to own some expensive luxury things. Maybe they appreciate the beauty, the comfort, and also maybe having expensive things bring them luck? You can appreciate good taste in wine or food, but you don't have to know how to make it. You can love a piece of art, but it doesn't mean that you should know the style of the art, the painter, or know how to paint it either. Also, you can be passionate about a car just by taking good care of it (washing, waxing, polishing, etc etc).

Also, IMO nothing is wrong with being 100% poser. They pay taxes for their cars and thus, shouldn't need our approval for what they do for them.

Not my partner, he bought them just for show. He didn't need my approval nor did he care what I thought.

I was just commenting that some people do buy things just for show and no other reason. And I might add , that's ok also. People buy things for what they think is important. I am ok with that.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:15 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 660 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
Lets not kid ourselves, a new Porsche is a pretty expensive indulgence and whether we like it or not there is a little bit of "showing off" with an expensive car like a 911. :
Not with me. I'd be happy living in a really small town at the end of a long winding canyon road with nobody around to show off to. Every one of the 9 Porsche's I've owned over the years have been about the driving experience for me. Sure, it's nice that my new Spyder gets a lot of approving comments and strained necks from passerby motorists, but for me it's all about the sick noise that 3.8 makes accelerating out of a cloverleaf, amplified by an overpass. That is some sick sound. Even my 996 GT3 didn't make this kind of music.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:26 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 660 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
The "midlife crisis" thing also makes less sense if it's someone who has driven Porsches since they were young... you can't tell by looking at the guy in the car if that's his first one or not.
Yup, took my first drive in an early 70's 911 when I was in college. I was early 20's and had started my own carpet cleaning business to pay my way through college. The business was successful enough that I was able to pay college, dental school, and buy my first Porsche, a used 77 911 S. Despite belong to one of the less desirable 911 models, it was quite reliable, and the first of many more Pcar purchases. I've never lost the passion in all these years!

Quick Reply: Some guys don't get it