Sponsored by:

Some guys don't get it

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 06:36 PM
dds007
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Midlife crisis? 50 is the new 25!

Who cares what the haters think. They are just poorer.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:50 PM
vivalaReagan
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by porschedog
Toyota sells a butt-load of Camrys to braindead guys like him all day long. I had a college roommate who could not begin to comprehend the appeal of a sportscar (I had a 240Z at the time - he had a F150 borrowed from grandpa's farm). His attitude was "all I need is to get from Point A to Point B.
i loved the 240 when i was in hs. a buddy owned one that we drove the snot out of while simultaneously babied in the garage. what a great car! i checked out your company's site; is the 240 pictured your 240?
Old 04-08-2016, 07:07 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

I don't care what other people think. I love my Porsche and I love driving my Porsche!

(I actually get a lot of very nice comments on the car...there are a lot of fans of Porsche in my area, apparently...)

I have never gotten the mid-life crisis comment (at least to my face) before. I've had sports cars (Corvettes until I picked up my first Porsche two years ago) since I was 30. If it was a mid-life crisis then, I wouldn't have too many years left to live!
Old 04-08-2016, 07:37 PM
vivalaReagan
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dflowerz
It all depends on how much your eyes light up when things get fast and the scenery starts blurring:cool
Originally Posted by Dewinator
Meh, some guys like wearing women's clothes, I like my 911
lol. two best lines in this thread. in their own unique way, both nail the essence of why i bought a 911.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:16 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow, how depressing! Like I always say, with women it's better to rent than to buy!
The Rule of the Three F's!!!!!
Old 04-08-2016, 09:19 PM
carsnob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DoninDen
Every time my ex would see a man in a sports car, she would glibly say "Midlife crisis".

I tried to explain to her that the man driving the car probably married right out of college, worked to buy and furnish the house his wife wanted and needed for their family. He saved and put their children through college, while putting away for retirement. That car may represent the one single thing he has done solely for his enjoyment, as a result of being an empty nester with the kids through school.

Some how, on the one hand she didn't get it but on the other always asked for a $10,000 Hermes Kelly purse, which I'm glad I never bought for her.
How true... Well said! We deserve it...
Old 04-08-2016, 09:31 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Wow, how depressing! Like I always say, with women it's better to rent than to buy!
there is an old saying, "If it flies, floats or fu#&s, its cheaper to rent it.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:24 PM
pantera1523
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

So ironically I sold a Ferrari 360 to buy my 991 because I was tired of all the attention the Ferrari drew and I wanted to fly under the radar.

So far my cunning plan has worked... I have similar performance more comfort/creature comforts and a much better ownership experience. Plus the added bonus of having a fun car that won't melt in the rain..
Old 04-08-2016, 10:38 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I play tennis with a bunch of non-car guys. Only 4 of the 20 are. Not one non-car guy knew what I meant when I told them that I bought the last N/A 991.1 GTS. My M5 friend told me to stop wasting my breath because they don't get it and they never will. They just laughed at us for buying expensive cars and wanting to take them on the track. They all live in very large, expensive homes and they can easily afford one but they don't care to. They would rather spend their money on expensive trips skiing, sailing, going to Grand Slam tennis events, etc. I don't make fun of them for how they spend their money so why should they care how I spend mine? That is the crux of why so many think Porsche owner's in mid-life are having a mid-life crisis. As a child and adult psychiatrist, a mid-life crisis is not a mid-life crisis but a crisis of adolescence that comes out in mid-life because they don't have a solid sense of who they are (read Erickson's stages of development). Since I have a solid sense of myself, I don't worry about people judging me for my purchases. I was finally in a position to buy my dream car and I did. Life is way too short to not enjoy it when you can. There's a great quote, " From the outside looking in you can't understand it. From the inside looking out you can't explain it". I think that perfectly explains a Porsche owner.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:38 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't believe anyone has the right to impose there belief system on me. I'm a grown man who knows what I want and I will do as I please. With my wife's approval of course.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:56 AM
Jhoffmann
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carsnob
A friend who is a Big fan of practical "problem - free" Japanese cars, can't fathom the idea of spending $100-150k on a 911.
His take is that it's a lot of money just to show off and look cool .
I suppose a lot of people out there think Porsche owners just want to show off .
Clearly they don't get it...I mean just look at this forum!
I've never really cared about what people think, and the last thing that I would care about in a 911 would be the showing off factor.
OK - I am also a fan of "problem free Japanese cars". I have worked for Toyota for the past 21 years and firmly we believe we build some great transportation that satisfies the need of the majority. That said, I own 3 Porsches and have found that the true enthusiasts at my office most likely also own a Porsche.

Enthusiasts are enthusiasts - I don't care if its cars, watches, wine or cigars - the majority will never understand. That's what makes us special - we understand the intricacies that separate the ordinary from the extraordinary while the masses do not.

While I have fellow colleagues that do not understand why I would spend my money on another car when I get one for free from Toyota, I have just as many that don't understand why I would spend X dollars on a watch or a bottle of wine. I am a firm believer in spend your money on what makes you happy and surround yourself with those who can appreciate what makes certain things in this world great. The masses will never understand, and that is fine.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:57 AM
carsnob
Advanced

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I don't believe anyone has the right to impose there belief system on me. I'm a grown man who knows what I want and I will do as I please. With my wife's approval of course.
Note that last line! How many of us are on a short leash w/ the wife, but have our 911's nonetheless? As for my wife -- she doesn't get it either ( a total opposite of a car guy) --but after so many cars and so many years she at least does get the fact I am a sports car guy and concedes....And actually liked the European delivery & factory tour .
Old 04-09-2016, 08:03 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by carsnob
Note that last line! How many of us are on a short leash w/ the wife, but have our 911's nonetheless? As for my wife -- she doesn't get it either ( a total opposite of a car guy) --but after so many cars and so many years she at least does get the fact I am a sports car guy and concedes....And actually liked the European delivery & factory tour .
Well my wife understands. She drives a Maserati. Even if she didn't. I'm sure your happiness is important to her and sometimes we have to take one for the team. Works both ways.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:08 AM
thomnellie
Racer

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
I feel very fortunate to drive my 911, and on occasion, a bit conspicuous depending on the area I'm driving. It is a very nice car. But like someone said above, I work hard, take good care of my family, and am at a point that I can do this. Would it be better to wait until my 15 year old is out of college? Sure, but no one knows the future so why not enjoy some of the fruits of your labor now. I started with VWs (lots of them), tried Saab, Subaru, and Acura. Nothing puts a smile on my face when driving, even the mundane trip to the grocery store, like the Pcar. I don't expect others to understand, I just hope they don't judge me (too harshly) for this purchase. And it is just a car, meant to be driven. That I do every chance I get.
Unfortunately, there are too many people who assume that all Porsche drivers are jerks.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:18 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennethjk
Japanese cars are great dependable cars. But as someone has already said most don't have any soul. Most people only care about getting from point A to B and don't get any enjoyment out of driving.

To each their own
That's true but think of the commute that the "average" driver has. I don't care what kind of car you have, it's not fun when you are in bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic. Moreover, not everyone can afford to have a $100K+ fun car for the weekends. When you have a significant monthly mortgage to pay, and invest in a 401K account along with the saving accounts for your children's education, there's not much disposable income remaining. So a $30K Japanese appliance that will easily provide six year 100K miles of trouble free driving with nominal maintenance costs can be quite appealing.

Quick Reply: Some guys don't get it