Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some guys don't get it

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 12:38 AM
pavster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really really wanted to love the problem-free Japanese cars. They were all ok, just not special. in the end, once I went German, which took a while due to stigma of being unreliable, I don't see myself going back. And yes, German cars are less reliable than Japanese, even in my limited experience (8 jap cars and 3 germans so far - and two swedes - which are worse than germans but which I would happily have kept buying if GM didn't kill them).
Old 04-08-2016, 12:48 AM
phil996cab99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-08-2016, 01:26 AM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The "don't get it folks" never see Porsche ownership as anything other than flaunting extravagance -- in my experience.

By the way, as an aside, I have a brother 13 years my senior, who is a vette guy so we have our fun debates and thoroughly enjoy each other's cars. I gave him a Porsche hat and told him how happy it would make me to picture him driving his vette with a Porsche hat on. He loves the hat and wears it continually, even while driving his vette. It does make me happy.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:55 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts

Your friend just isn't a 'car guy'...and it's ok
Old 04-08-2016, 03:27 AM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dflowerz
It all depends on how much your eyes light up when things get fast and the scenery starts blurring The sales guy on my 991 test drive said some people get it and some don't. Coming from very fast motorcycles, my test drive in a 911 was to see if the car was worth it in terms of performance and excitement compared to a bike. My first trip around a long onramp gave me my answer. Yes! Acceleration not quite the same as a bike, but the cornering was awesome. So I started the test drive kind of skeptical, but finished it knowing I must have one of these cars! It has NOTHING to do with showing off and everything to do with enjoying a car made to go fast!
This is it ^^ Regular people will never understand until they actually test drive a Porsche and even then they may not get it because they fall into the camp where cars exist to get them from A to B and nothing more.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:18 AM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I love my 991 and I also struggle with 'getting it' sometimes. Regardless of how big the smile is when I drive my 991, it is not a logical thing to do to spend $100k on a car ... it's an emotional thing to do. So why did I buy one? I've always loved 911's and I was at a point that I could spend the money and not be hurting from the purchase.

Yes, once in a while I still struggle driving such an expensive car, but hey ... some people have 3 children. Not that I want to compare children to a car, but pure financially, a 911 is cheap compared to having a child.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:03 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

1. A lot of guys buy 911s to show off. Including those on this site, regardless of what they might tell you.

2. Some people don't care one bit about cars, and thats fine. I don't care one bit about vintage guitars and some people would have a heart attack if they were able to play a les paul or whatever.

3. I think there are plenty of people that get that 911s are fun, and yet still don't want to spend the money. $100k for a car is still a ton of money.

4. Who cares? I stopped worrying long ago about trying to explain my hobbies to people who don't share them. Its pointless and we just move on to more enjoyable topics.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:43 AM
carsnob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's great to hear everyone's philosophy!
While we all seem to be pretty much in the same camp, we're also all very different... Our common interest in one of the world's finest automobiles makes for interesting reading...
Old 04-08-2016, 09:46 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

I'll add one more comment. I consider myself a "car guy" and appreciate most cars. However, I'll admit I don't understand some cars like a MB G-wagon for $150K. So even within the car circle there are some outliers that even baffle me. Apologies to G-wagon owners.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:41 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

showing off in a 911 is an interesting concept given the only people who seem to get excited by my car are middle aged men and some children...not exactly who I would like to impress.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:52 PM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before I got my first 911, I wondered about that stigma. I'm not the guy that drives it to look good. Then again, it's never dirty either, so I wonder what that means. Anyway, my good friend said, "Porsche isn't an exotic. It's a working-man's sports car." I didn't agree, but didn't argue. In the world of "Platinum" pickup trucks, he was probably right.

Nothing I've driven handles like it. It gets better when pushed, not worse. It's just so capable. I hope to enjoy one for a long time.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:00 PM
oolor13
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Plenty of people don't understand other people's passions or hobbies. There's a guy at work who sees food as solely nutrition and calories, and would be perfectly content eating a bowl of beige mush. He doesn't get foodies. There are people who don't understand why anyone would want any watch more expensive than a G-Shock when they all just tell time. And then there are people who see cars merely as appliances to move people and things between places. All these people are wrong, but that's okay, it just means more for me.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:10 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Meh, some guys like wearing women's clothes, I like my 911. People should do whatever makes them happy and I don't judge them for it.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:26 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Every time my ex would see a man in a sports car, she would glibly say "Midlife crisis".

I tried to explain to her that the man driving the car probably married right out of college, worked to buy and furnish the house his wife wanted and needed for their family. He saved and put their children through college, while putting away for retirement. That car may represent the one single thing he has done solely for his enjoyment, as a result of being an empty nester with the kids through school.

Some how, on the one hand she didn't get it but on the other always asked for a $10,000 Hermes Kelly purse, which I'm glad I never bought for her.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:36 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DoninDen
I tried to explain to her that the man driving the car probably married right out of college, worked to buy and furnish the house his wife wanted and needed for their family. He saved and put their children through college, while putting away for retirement. That car may represent the one single thing he has done solely for his enjoyment, as a result of being an empty nester with the kids through school.
Wow, how depressing! Like I always say, with women it's better to rent than to buy!

Quick Reply: Some guys don't get it