Sponsored by:

Possible to Add sports chrono to 991.1 3.4

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 07:03 PM
carbonbmw
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible to Add sports chrono to 991.1 3.4

My 2015 991 c2 does not have SC. Is it possible to add the engine software to the car so I can have launch control? I know that factory SC comes with dynamic Engine mounts also I dont mind that I wont have that. Really interested in the launch control and sport plus engine mapping.

Thanks
Old 04-09-2016, 07:12 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Unfortunately not
Old 04-09-2016, 07:43 PM
carbonbmw
Rennlist Member

STG991 - Thanks for the reply

Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket launch control option?
Old 04-09-2016, 09:01 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,029 Posts

It is possible. Anything is possible with these cars given enough money including the engine mounts, sport + button, chrono clock, PCM update, throttle mapping etc. All of our cars already have the accelerometers to measure G force etc. (even if the car did not come with SC)

There are several examples on the web.

The problem comes down to cost and benefit. Its better just to sell the car and buy one with your configuration that you want.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:25 PM
carbonbmw
Rennlist Member

How does the Porsche SC launch control work. Does it pop the trans into natural when launch control is activated then when you release the brake drop it into first gear and launch? or is it the same as holding the brake and gas same time then launching?

Since there is no way of me adding SC software to my car, I need to figure out a way to launch this thing better

Thanks
Old 04-10-2016, 08:11 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I got the impression that it pretty much holds the revs at 7k and drops the clutch. It's very violent, I would be scared to do that on my own.

I think the engine mounts are the best part of the SC package. LC is a "neat to try once or twice just to have seen it" thing for me.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:23 PM
TheEngineer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carbonbmw
How does the Porsche SC launch control work. Does it pop the trans into natural when launch control is activated then when you release the brake drop it into first gear and launch? or is it the same as holding the brake and gas same time then launching?

Since there is no way of me adding SC software to my car, I need to figure out a way to launch this thing better

Thanks
In launch control mode the computer is doing the equivalent of holding the clutch pedal down while managing the throttle to hold engine revs at the desired level. When you take your foot off the brake pedal, the computer rapidly engages the clutch and enables full throttle.

The PDK is a computer controlled manual gearbox with a clutch; not an automatic with a torque converter. In the case of a traditional automatic, you can apply throttle while holding the brakes because the fluid coupling of the torque converter allows the input side to rotate while the output is prevented from rotation without damage (for a short time). If you attempt the same with a manual you will quickly fry your clutch.

So the question you are asking is whether the computer is programmed to avoid engaging the clutch while your foot is on the brakes without launch control. I for one do not know for sure, but if the answer is no, it will be an expensive experiment.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:53 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TheEngineer
In launch control mode the computer is doing the equivalent of holding the clutch pedal down while managing the throttle to hold engine revs at the desired level. When you take your foot off the brake pedal, the computer rapidly engages the clutch and enables full throttle.

The PDK is a computer controlled manual gearbox with a clutch; not an automatic with a torque converter. In the case of a traditional automatic, you can apply throttle while holding the brakes because the fluid coupling of the torque converter allows the input side to rotate while the output is prevented from rotation without damage (for a short time). If you attempt the same with a manual you will quickly fry your clutch.

So the question you are asking is whether the computer is programmed to avoid engaging the clutch while your foot is on the brakes without launch control. I for one do not know for sure, but if the answer is no, it will be an expensive experiment.
I agree. No way I would try "launch control" without having launch control on my car.

Quick Reply: Possible to Add sports chrono to 991.1 3.4