Sponsored by:

Some guys don't get it

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 01:36 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Koorean
Show him the cost of NSX and GTR. Not all Japanese cars are cheap.
You mean inexpensive. A GTR is built very cheaply... We b1tch about no full leather... GTR has Walmart grade interior made from disposable ziplock container grade plastic.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:40 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
Lets not kid ourselves, a new Porsche is a pretty expensive indulgence and whether we like it or not there is a little bit of "showing off" with an expensive car like a 911. I happen to be very passionate about cars and have no problem spending a lot of money on them even though some people find it ridiculous. But just the same, I see people spend a lot of money on other hobbies or passions, that I have a hard time understanding.

At the end of the day, it's your money and you are free to spend it however you want. I just picked up my 991 C4S a month ago and my wife is annoyed that I'm already talking about my next car.
My favorite commercial states "even when you have your dream car, you still have a dream car..."
Old 04-08-2016, 01:43 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 209 Posts

Toyota sells a butt-load of Camrys to braindead guys like him all day long. I had a college roommate who could not begin to comprehend the appeal of a sportscar (I had a 240Z at the time - he had a F150 borrowed from grandpa's farm). His attitude was "all I need is to get from Point A to Point B.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:54 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by porschedog
Toyota sells a butt-load of Camrys to braindead guys like him all day long. I had a college roommate who could not begin to comprehend the appeal of a sportscar (I had a 240Z at the time - he had a F150 borrowed from grandpa's farm). His attitude was "all I need is to get from Point A to Point B.
so he's brain dead because he was a reliable, comfortable, commuter vehicle?

nice.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:55 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
My favorite commercial states "even when you have your dream car, you still have a dream car..."
Am I weird if when I get bored I often go on autogespot and look for pictures of Aqua Blue 991s when I could just go out to the parking lot instead?
Old 04-08-2016, 02:09 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
My 991 is my dream car. A base carrera, all I ever wanted.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:15 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
I'll add one more comment. I consider myself a "car guy" and appreciate most cars. However, I'll admit I don't understand some cars like a MB G-wagon for $150K. So even within the car circle there are some outliers that even baffle me. Apologies to G-wagon owners.
Lol, I'm with you sort of. As a frequent off-roader (wrangler) I'll cut somebody slack for wanting one of the worlds great off-road vehicles. But what really befuddles me is the AMG version: huge wheels, super lo-pro tires, lowered, and with side exhaust coming out ahead of the rear wheels and just begging to be crushed between the frame rails and a rock.

In other words, you've taken the worst on-road MB passenger vehicle and made it better on road at the cost of being severely compromised off road. But it's STILL the worst on-road MB vehicle; but now it's no longer an off-road threat. So what is it???
Old 04-08-2016, 02:37 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I feel very fortunate to drive my 911, and on occasion, a bit conspicuous depending on the area I'm driving. It is a very nice car. But like someone said above, I work hard, take good care of my family, and am at a point that I can do this. Would it be better to wait until my 15 year old is out of college? Sure, but no one knows the future so why not enjoy some of the fruits of your labor now. I started with VWs (lots of them), tried Saab, Subaru, and Acura. Nothing puts a smile on my face when driving, even the mundane trip to the grocery store, like the Pcar. I don't expect others to understand, I just hope they don't judge me (too harshly) for this purchase. And it is just a car, meant to be driven. That I do every chance I get.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:48 PM
Roosell
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DoninDen
Every time my ex would see a man in a sports car, she would glibly say "Midlife crisis".

Thanks for bringing that up. People who say that can't be very bright, and don't know crap about the world. Is naive the right word?

Balding older guy in a sports car is not a mid life crisis. The guy who cleans out the bank accounts and leaves his wife and college aged kids for a 20 something hottie is a mid-life crisis.

Every individual I've personally heard fling the midlife crisis label at someone they just saw driving down the street has proven- to a person they are idiotic "SeaWards".
Old 04-08-2016, 02:52 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

The "midlife crisis" thing also makes less sense if it's someone who has driven Porsches since they were young... you can't tell by looking at the guy in the car if that's his first one or not.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:58 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I guess I started on my mid-life crisis in high school Until this 911 I have on order, it was all motorcycles because they are the ultimate cheap speed. Of course then we have to put up with the people who call them "donor cycles", or crotch rockets. In the end I am beyond caring. I just like machines that go fast and do it well.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:03 PM
cpt_slow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Porsche is still a lot less expensive than any of the Italian sports cars.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:14 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by cpt_slow
A Porsche is still a lot less expensive than any of the Italian sports cars.
What about the Alfa 4C?
Old 04-08-2016, 06:25 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
What about the Alfa 4C?
very close in price to a Cayman S / GTS
Old 04-08-2016, 06:33 PM
ymg91150
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post