Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who actually uses their PDK in manual mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 07:49 PM
N2B8TOR
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

PDK in manual mode using the stick 90% of my driving. Love to be able to flip to auto PDK when I need to take a sip of water.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:42 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by slocumda@yahoo.com
I do not have PDK but this discussion makes me wonder. If you drive aggressively in automatic mode all the time, will it learn and change the shift points more to your liking?
I do not know. I think it does change the shift points. It seems like it is not based on a previous longer-time history though, but rather on actual driving style and throttle position in recent minute(s). At least it feels this way to me.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:22 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
I do not know. I think it does change the shift points. It seems like it is not based on a previous longer-time history though, but rather on actual driving style and throttle position in recent minute(s). At least it feels this way to me.
Correct. For instance if you break really hard, when you get back on the throttle it will downshift lower than if you had breaked lightly. But then after a minute or two of non-aggressive driving it will go back.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:58 AM
Dissol
Advanced

Received 141 Likes on 34 Posts

i have a slightly different take. As a wheelchair user, I have no choice, I use the PDK with hand controls for the accelerator and brake. The PDK is amazing, and enables me to really enjoy the car in the way that I want. To me, PDK gives the flexibility to use the car in many different ways. My 911 (991.2 base) is my daily driver. I regularly drive 1000mile trips (in a day), for work, but also am fortunate to live in an area with many great roads and mountain passes. On the long journeys the car just cruises along with ACC set, and in full auto. I can relax into the trip, and listen to podcasts, music, radio through the Car Play. I never use the manual mode, but may flick down a gear or two or three, in preparation to overtake a truck or similar. Or sometimes I move the **** and select Sport, and let the car do that completely for me. If I am playing in the mountain passes, then I often use the paddles, to be in the gear that i want, at the place that I want, and really apply myself to the job. But then other times, I will leave it in Sport, and concentrate fully on my lines, and braking points. That for me is the brilliance of the PDK and the 911; it can be used in a myriad of ways, to suit your specific needs of that day / journey. Yes, prior to becoming a wheelchair user I drove and raced a variety of (mostly historic) cars (and bikes). As a young (immature?) person, I would deride old men with automatic gearboxes in their sports cars. Maybe I have grown up, or just realised that the PDK is NOT an automatic gearbox. If needed I can still decide which gear I will be in and when. The PDK gives me more control over the vehicle, not less. But the flexibility of the system allows me to drive the car in different ways. This is a true all round machine. It can be a real long distance cruiser, it can carve the mountain passes. it can just be a box to move in the traffic with everyone else. It is a pretty good load carrier too (2 wheelchair users + 2 wheelchairs + all their luggage isn't bad for any vehicle). I have yet to be convinced that a full manual gearbox would give any more control. As for pleasure, this car exceeds all my expectations, and is easily the most pleasurable / fun vehicle I have ever owned. The only changes I would want would be unlimited fuel, self cleaning paint, zero traffic or potholes, free tyre supplies...oh, and the child in me would still like to be able to see the engine... But realistically, there is nothing I would want to change about this car, it is just about perfect for me, my needs, and my wants. PDK is part of that package. As for the old chestnut,"real men only drive manual"? Complete BS. I could just as easily find people who say the same about non synchro gearboxes, where you have to heel and toe, or cross-ply tyres, where you have to be able to drift and slide, or even 2 wheels; motorbike friends refer to any car as a "cage" as they feel the protection of the car's body removes the operator too far from the "action". All BS. This car gives this person 100% satisfaction. I feel sorry for anyone that has not found this nirvana YMMV
Old 10-31-2018, 11:40 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Dissol
i have a slightly different take. As a wheelchair user, I have no choice, I use the PDK with hand controls for the accelerator and brake. The PDK is amazing, and enables me to really enjoy the car in the way that I want. To me, PDK gives the flexibility to use the car in many different ways. My 911 (991.2 base) is my daily driver. I regularly drive 1000mile trips (in a day), for work, but also am fortunate to live in an area with many great roads and mountain passes. On the long journeys the car just cruises along with ACC set, and in full auto. I can relax into the trip, and listen to podcasts, music, radio through the Car Play. I never use the manual mode, but may flick down a gear or two or three, in preparation to overtake a truck or similar. Or sometimes I move the **** and select Sport, and let the car do that completely for me. If I am playing in the mountain passes, then I often use the paddles, to be in the gear that i want, at the place that I want, and really apply myself to the job. But then other times, I will leave it in Sport, and concentrate fully on my lines, and braking points. That for me is the brilliance of the PDK and the 911; it can be used in a myriad of ways, to suit your specific needs of that day / journey. Yes, prior to becoming a wheelchair user I drove and raced a variety of (mostly historic) cars (and bikes). As a young (immature?) person, I would deride old men with automatic gearboxes in their sports cars. Maybe I have grown up, or just realised that the PDK is NOT an automatic gearbox. If needed I can still decide which gear I will be in and when. The PDK gives me more control over the vehicle, not less. But the flexibility of the system allows me to drive the car in different ways. This is a true all round machine. It can be a real long distance cruiser, it can carve the mountain passes. it can just be a box to move in the traffic with everyone else. It is a pretty good load carrier too (2 wheelchair users + 2 wheelchairs + all their luggage isn't bad for any vehicle). I have yet to be convinced that a full manual gearbox would give any more control. As for pleasure, this car exceeds all my expectations, and is easily the most pleasurable / fun vehicle I have ever owned. The only changes I would want would be unlimited fuel, self cleaning paint, zero traffic or potholes, free tyre supplies...oh, and the child in me would still like to be able to see the engine... But realistically, there is nothing I would want to change about this car, it is just about perfect for me, my needs, and my wants. PDK is part of that package. As for the old chestnut,"real men only drive manual"? Complete BS. I could just as easily find people who say the same about non synchro gearboxes, where you have to heel and toe, or cross-ply tyres, where you have to be able to drift and slide, or even 2 wheels; motorbike friends refer to any car as a "cage" as they feel the protection of the car's body removes the operator too far from the "action". All BS. This car gives this person 100% satisfaction. I feel sorry for anyone that has not found this nirvana YMMV
Very well said. I agree with you 100% - I also use the PDK with various modes and combinations depending on the roads and the mission. It just seems to always have a prefect suitable option to use what ever the reason (or not) for the drive. I rarely hear anyone having one being disappointed even if it may be looked down by some who are hard core manual shifters. I am fortunate to have another great car that is 6 speed and I enjoy it as well - just in differently. Many happy trails !!!

Quick Reply: Who actually uses their PDK in manual mode