Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who actually uses their PDK in manual mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 10:40 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

I use manual mode a lot of the time- whenever I want to have fun, feel and hear that "pop" of an instant shift. I don't pay much attention to how often I use auto mode. but I'd guess its whenever i'm in in traffic, on long highway drives, or any other time when I don't care to do the shifting myself.

After road and tracking a variety of manual trans Porsches for about 45 years, hand shifting and heel an toeing, I know that for me that the fun (and certainly not the performance) has nothing to do with my feet. That does not mean I won't get a manual trans in the future. If I do, I will probably not always defeat the auto-rev matching down shift feature and double clutch on the way to the grocery store or in traffic as a way to delight myself.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:44 AM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^ Couldn't agree more..
Old 03-14-2016, 11:39 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
That's correct, they're made by Aisin in Japan, but obviously designed by the team in Stuttgart.
I think Aisin made the 997 transmissions, except for the 997.2 PDK, but pretty sure ZF makes the PDK and I assume the 991 7 speed manual since it is basically a PDK with regular clutch.

Last edited by GSIRM3; 03-14-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:03 PM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 145 Posts

I had the same concern and drive a manual 991 which I love. I also just got a GT3. It only has 100 miles on it but in the few drives I have done I have tried auto and manual. I actually like the manual mode better as the auto mode tries the get the car into the best mpg gear as quickly as possible. I have been switching between the steering wheel paddles and the pull/push PDK gear lever which has been fun. I think I prefer the pull/push...

I will add that I drove a PDK when they came out and did not like it; purchased the manual. I spent some time on a track with a PDK and loved, loved, loved it. For flat out speed it's the best by far imo. That said my summer DD is still my old MT 991, top down, PSE on, rev match go.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:38 PM
Roosell
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the street about 80% of the time, I click sport and put her in manual mode. I understand the lack of a third peddle takes away some of the ability to make your machine 'dance', but I enjoy the PDK.

Maybe 15% is in auto with no sport/sport plus, and 5% is sport plus manual. I've dialed up sport plus with the transmission in auto once and did not enjoy it at all.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:33 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I was fourth in a pack of five Porsche club cars in the "spirited" group heading through the twisties on a tour two weeks ago with all the console buttons lit up in Sport Plus and the shift lever in manual. I was thinking how I was clicking the PDK up and down with the paddles exactly like I would with the 5-speed & clutch in my '74 911.
Brought to mind a guy years ago with a new 1972 911E with Sportomatic who said on a trip to Yosemite he forgot it was a Sportomatic when he got cooking through the hills. Never believed him until I drove my PDK in anger threading through the hills keeping up with the 997 GT3 leading (actually attempting to outrun) the group.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:46 PM
robertmzadeh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its also fun too shift it when it is in the non manual position lever to the right. Just use the paddles on the steering wheel.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:54 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

This can be a tough board,sorry. It is not for the thinned skinned.
At the risk of being accused of bragging again, I never drive my PDK in auto mode on the street. I have about 14,000 miles on two different 991's and have only used auto mode on the street when I test drove a 2014, frankly that was enough for me.

As for the track, I only drive in automatic with sport plus activated.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:01 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Aspir8
Why does the engine warm up faster in non-sport mode than Sport mode?
That's a great question and I do not know the technical answer. My reasoning tells me that it might have to do with the way the oil coolers operate under Sport or Sport+.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:47 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
This can be a tough board,sorry. It is not for the thinned skinned.
At the risk of being accused of bragging again, I never drive my PDK in auto mode on the street. I have about 14,000 miles on two different 991's and have only used auto mode on the street when I test drove a 2014, frankly that was enough for me.

As for the track, I only drive in automatic with sport plus activated.
Your words describe me perfectly, on all counts, except I only have 6000 miles on one PDK car. I find that driving it near the limits, whether on the track or on deserted mountain roads, it is nice to let the computer shift simply because otherwise I wind up bumping the rev limiter too often, which startles me and upsets the car's balance slightly. To not do this would mean shifting a little earlier than I have to, which robs me of some of those last little thrilling bits of power.

But on standard street driving, where I rarely run the motor past 7200 rpm, manual is preferred. And for me, the main reason for that is because I ALWAYS want the tach to sit about 500-1000 rpms higher than the computer does, so I want to keep it in a higher gear than PDK chooses.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:02 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
I think Aisin made the 997 transmissions, except for the 997.2 PDK, but pretty sure ZF makes the PDK and I assume the 991 7 speed manual since it is basically a PDK with regular clutch.
You are absolutely correct! Sorry about that- for anyone interested see page 31...

http://www.zf.com/corporate/media/en...ve_03_2012.pdf
Old 03-16-2016, 01:05 AM
gusp
Instructor

All of the time. Mostly city driving, some highway.

It's fun. Not like a real manual but if that's what you want then don't get PDK.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:28 AM
PatrickC23
Racer

I have been 100% manual mode in PDK after Week 1 of ownership. I'm just not a clutch pedal guy, have had automatics all my life just based on what my parents had around. Ever since my e46 M3 with SMG II I have been in love with the quick shifting/rev matching pedal-less manual gearboxes.

I for one don't understand the animosity people have when it comes to this subject, to each their own. If possible I always plan to have some sort of DCT or PDK in my stable.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:51 PM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Harsany
Porsche does not make a bad transmission, drive both and decide or buy the Bmw for an inferior driving experience.
the DCT in the e92 M3 was very very good

and they got the direction right for the shifter
Old 03-16-2016, 08:57 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I never use auto mode because it seems only have two modes, Prius and Stig. It's always shifting to the highest possible gear during most driving, then you do one slightly aggressive thing like a hard brake or accelerate to pass and then it goes to Stig mode and wants to shift at redline for like 2 minutes until the timer expires and it goes back to Prius mode.

Correction when I did launch control 1/4 mile at the track I used auto because I wanted Stig mode. That's the only time.

After awhile your hand just gets used to going to the left when you shift it in gear and you don't even have to think about it.

Quick Reply: Who actually uses their PDK in manual mode