Sponsored by:

S PSE vs. Non-PSE

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 01:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
That's why it includes a switch. I can't think of any time that an additional manufacturer's option would reduce the price of a car.
Agree, but remember, even without the switch, the mufflers are different and the valves open automatically at higher RPMs. So PSE is louder at higher RPMs than a non PSE car, even with the switch off.

Like a lot of mods, I don't think it adds much of any value to the car though. It's why the dealers rarely spec a PSE car for their floor; they can't convince the typical walk in buyer that this option is worth the money. I've had multiple dealers tell me that, though they indicated that, of the buyers that actually order their own build, it is a popular option.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:18 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I disagree with all your points.

PSE is great. Great sound. Great fit. Great performance. Warranty. No drone. Better resale. Switchable. No CELs. Proven. Porsche.
Ditto. My last four 911's have had PSE. I wouldn't want one with out it.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:31 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I agree with all your points except better resale. On that point it's possible but not a certainty. I would never own a Porsche without PSE, but there are many others who feel it's a waste of money since there's no performance improvement and they are more than satisfied with the stock exhaust sound.
My comment about better resale is in the context of a car with PSE vs a car with an aftermarket product.

Yes, a car with PSE may only command a couple hundred extra dollars, but, IMO, a car with an aftermarket exhaust will command zero dollars, or even worse, and be worth less. Again, IMO.

Taking into consideration just how expensive some aftermarket exhaust systems cost, the resale value proposition is awful. That's why many times, it's best to return to stock, and sell parts separately.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:03 AM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan

Yes, a car with PSE may only command a couple hundred extra dollars, but, IMO, a car with an aftermarket exhaust will command zero dollars, or even worse, and be worth less. Again, IMO.

I agree with Lexvan here and I have seen it in my hunt for cars. I believe an aftermarket exhaust on the 991 reduces the selling price on the car, at least on cars sold through a P-Car Dealership.

I wanted to expand this questions a bit further. I have a 991 Base and want to add PSE. The up charge from Suncoast is only about $300 more comparing buying the PSE for an S equipped car vs. a base car. It's hard for me to believe that $300 buys you side mufflers, vacuum lines and console switch. I understand from this thread and others that upgrading from a Base 991 to PSE includes replacing the side mufflers, I just have a hard time believing that it only costs $300 more to do this. Any clarification would be appreciated.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:23 AM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Question...what difference the PSE makes on a standard 3.4L base carrera? Is it worth upgrading to PSE?
Old 01-10-2016, 11:36 AM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001f4s
I agree with Lexvan here and I have seen it in my hunt for cars. I believe an aftermarket exhaust on the 991 reduces the selling price on the car, at least on cars sold through a P-Car Dealership.

I wanted to expand this questions a bit further. I have a 991 Base and want to add PSE. The up charge from Suncoast is only about $300 more comparing buying the PSE for an S equipped car vs. a base car. It's hard for me to believe that $300 buys you side mufflers, vacuum lines and console switch. I understand from this thread and others that upgrading from a Base 991 to PSE includes replacing the side mufflers, I just have a hard time believing that it only costs $300 more to do this. Any clarification would be appreciated.
The Suncoast price is parts only. The labor is another $1K+\- depending on the dealer rates so the difference from a factory installed PSE is notable.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:05 PM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

Thanks Beaverlake. I do understand that the Suncoast price is for parts only. Just having a hard time believing that $300 includes all of those items. Having had experience with P-Car pricing, it seems like a $300 price difference is a low, low price for 2 new mufflers, switch, and vacuum lines. Maybe I have just become jaded paying Porsche prices for so long.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:59 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Thanks Beaverlake. I do understand that the Suncoast price is for parts only. Just having a hard time believing that $300 includes all of those items. Having had experience with P-Car pricing, it seems like a $300 price difference is a low, low price for 2 new mufflers, switch, and vacuum lines. Maybe I have just become jaded paying Porsche prices for so long.
Don't know about the vacuum lines, but the switch is in both the S and Base kits, so it's not an 'extra' part in the base kit.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:02 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Only thing you're getting "extra" in the base model PSE kit are two new side mufflers!

Don't try and make sense of Porsche pricing.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:03 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drmatara
Question...what difference the PSE makes on a standard 3.4L base carrera? Is it worth upgrading to PSE?
Not to me. My base sounds better than with PSE. PSE has deeper tones that I'm not interested in. The 3.4 screams in a higher pitch. Really race car like sound.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:26 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Tried searching but had a hard time finding the information I'm looking for. In comparing factory exhaust options, can someone tell me the differences between an S non-PSE exhaust vs. one with PSE? Trying to decide if I want to do anything with my non-PSE setup. Thanks.
I decided on two 991's to oder non PSE exhausts and put after market AWE on both cars. Personally, its cheaper than the PSE option and sounds better IMHO. In addition, if you believe the AWE dyno testing results (I can feel the difference), it increases mid range BHP and Torque by quite a bit.The PSE does not.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:20 PM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

Archimedes and STG thanks for the clarification. I am moving forward with the PSE install and looking forward to reporting back.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:31 PM
STG
Race Director

Archimedes and STG thanks for the clarification. I am moving forward with the PSE install and looking forward to reporting back.
Anytime.

Just so you know, the console switch comes with the base and S models. You get a complete NEW switch assembly. No just adding the PSE button. They will order a custom unit by your VIN # with the PSE button added.

Any aftermarket tinkering is a resale killer. Better to keep OEM. Some guys keep old parts and put back to stock which is ok too.

In my opinion, PSE gives you the most bang for your buck. Usually not the case with the cost of OEM. Resale on aftermarket parts is terrible.

I like the Tubi and Akrapovic, but the upside over PSE doesn't justify the huge price differences. Plus with those two, at resale you'll have to take them off too and hope to regain 30% of your original cost if you're lucky.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:42 PM
STG
Race Director

FYI to other readers:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991PSE.html
Old 01-10-2016, 07:40 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

PSE is the best thing ever. If I had to choose between no seats and no PSE, I think I'd do without the seats. I would do terrible things to figure out how to get it to come on all the time without having to press the button every time I start the car.

Quick Reply: S PSE vs. Non-PSE