Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S PSE vs. Non-PSE

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 03:18 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

I can confirm the 991 tips get HOT. More than most other cars. I think the short run coming out of the muffler and close proximity to the engine.

I made the mistake of powder coating mine. Mistake. Coating failed. Did a ceramic coating after. Good for almost 2000 degrees. The only way to go.

Ceramic coated PSE tips ^^
Old 02-25-2016, 03:21 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Aside from what your dealer says (which they only have a 50% accuracy rating), I actually tried BOTH tips on my car in the real world. I upgraded to PSE and wondered why everyone was saying the old tips don't work.
If the non-PSE exhaust is twin pipes as well, my guess is that they just weren't comfortable with the gap and the exhaust gas leaking back under the car. They flat said no way, but I didn't get under and look at the difference. In the end, the PSE tips looked good, so I was fine with it.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:25 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
If the non-PSE exhaust is twin pipes as well, my guess is that they just weren't comfortable with the gap and the exhaust gas leaking back under the car. They flat said no way, but I didn't get under and look at the difference. In the end, the PSE tips looked good, so I was fine with it.
I'm with you

By the way, the OEM Porsche tips are VERY high quality. Much better than any of these cheap aftermarket ones trust me. Look at the above pics. They are very heavy duty and well designed.

I'm done with all this PSE talk now!
Old 02-25-2016, 03:47 PM
bittrl1000
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks to everyone for help clearing up this tip issue for me. I've read many threads on the PSE retrofit, and I don't recall this issue being discussed like it has here, so I think we've contributed to the knowledge base.

I understand what several of you are saying about recommending against a jury-rigged solution. I'll definitely keep these thoughts in mind when I do the install. A quick check of ebay shows some aftermarket PSE tips for about $400, and genuine Porsche PSE tips for about $800.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:51 PM
bittrl1000
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I took a picture of my non-PSE 991S (this is the right pair of tips, so the inner exhaust is on the left and shows that light passing thru). I now realize that even with the non-PSE exhaust, the inner tip does not physically contact the pipe from the center exhaust. While the pipe does go inside the inner tip (barely), there's a pretty sizable gap given the pipe is smaller diameter than the tip. This makes me think that whatever extra gap exists using the standard tips with the PSE, it's just a cosmetic issue. I don't see how it could affect sound. It could affect the flow of heat from exhaust gases a bit.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: S PSE vs. Non-PSE