991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S PSE vs. Non-PSE

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016 | 01:11 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

I love my PSE, it makes the car sound better and more foun to drive.
Old 02-24-2016 | 10:50 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by bittrl1000
Could I ask you to be more specific? How difficult is it to install non-PSE tips on the PSE? Or what are the consequences of doing so?
They install on the clamp side. On the inner pipe, the S tips are about 1/2" short of a snug fit on the PSE setup.

If you look at the pics, the inner pipes are cupped and a pressure fit. That's where the tips fall 1/2" short.

Of course, some aftermarket tips will work too.
Old 02-24-2016 | 11:32 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by STG991
They install on the clamp side. On the inner pipe, the S tips are about 1/2" short of a snug fit on the PSE setup. If you look at the pics, the inner pipes are cupped and a pressure fit. That's where the tips fall 1/2" short. Of course, some aftermarket tips will work too.
Yup, dealer said the non PSE tips would not work with the PSE. Won't fit right.
Old 02-25-2016 | 11:10 AM
bittrl1000
Instructor

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ts-prices.html

In this thread, at least 2 people claim to have reused the standard tips when installing the PSE on their 991S cars. So now I'm confused, because one person here is saying its simply difficult to reuse the standard tips, another person says they were told you can't reuse the tips, and the people on the other thread say you can, without saying how difficult it was.

I guess I may just have to try it myself and if I can't make it work, I'll order the PSE tips or hopefully something less expensive.
Old 02-25-2016 | 11:20 AM
R_Rated
Banned

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ts-prices.html

In this thread, at least 2 people claim to have reused the standard tips when installing the PSE on their 991S cars. So now I'm confused, because one person here is saying its simply difficult to reuse the standard tips, another person says they were told you can't reuse the tips, and the people on the other thread say you can, without saying how difficult it was.

I guess I may just have to try it myself and if I can't make it work, I'll order the PSE tips or hopefully something less expensive.

You cannot reuse the standard tips and here is why.

See these examples:

PSE style:
http://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-991-...tyle-tips-pse/

non PSE:
http://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-991-...-tips-non-pse/

PSE has 2 pipes for each side (4 total) that correspond to the 4 tips. NON PSE has 2 pipes (2 total) that connect to a "Y" style tip on each side and look like 4 for aesthetic reasons only.
Old 02-25-2016 | 11:30 AM
STG
Race Director

The "S" tips will fit on a PSE exhaust and clamp on. No risk there.

For the one exhaust on each side (closest) to the license plate, you'll notice there will be a 1/2" gap of it not completely connecting. This is not the clamp side, but the cupped pipe that is just a pressure fit.

If you're ok with that, that's fine. Me personally I wanted the whole exhaust pushed out the tip and not floating under my rear bumper.

I've actually tried these configurations and know.

The PSE tips are like $1,200 for the pair ala carte. You're better off ordering the whole PSE kit (includes tips) rather than messing ordering separate parts trust me. Geez, the complete system is only $2,500 for everything!
Old 02-25-2016 | 01:23 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

My experience was the same as R_Rated. I was told that the non-PSE exhaust had a single pipe connector and the PSE had a double, hence no way to mount the non-PSE tips on the PSE exhaust. Note, my installer had no reason to lie, as I already had the full kit in hand.

I wonder if people who have used the non-PSE tips have either not changed out the section leading to the tips or fabricated a 2 to 1 connector.
Old 02-25-2016 | 01:35 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Archimedes
My experience was the same as R_Rated. I was told that the non-PSE exhaust had a single pipe connector and the PSE had a double, hence no way to mount the non-PSE tips on the PSE exhaust. Note, my installer had no reason to lie, as I already had the full kit in hand.

I wonder if people who have used the non-PSE tips have either not changed out the section leading to the tips or fabricated a 2 to 1 connector.

Correct - just look at the pictures in the links I posted!

btw... for people with too much $$$ here are some PSE tips in black for 2,000+!
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991GTSTIPS.html
Old 02-25-2016 | 02:47 PM
bittrl1000
Instructor

Originally Posted by R_Rated
You cannot reuse the standard tips and here is why.

See these examples:

PSE style:
http://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-991-...tyle-tips-pse/

non PSE:
http://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-991-...-tips-non-pse/

PSE has 2 pipes for each side (4 total) that correspond to the 4 tips. NON PSE has 2 pipes (2 total) that connect to a "Y" style tip on each side and look like 4 for aesthetic reasons only.
I believe you and Archimedes are referring to a standard 991. I have a 991S.

Thanks for your help STG991. I think I understand you now. And if I do, I'd say that I'd probably be ok with a small gap between one pipe on each side and its tip, since that seems to be only a cosmetic issue if one looks real close under the car. And if I change my mind, it seems I can order some PSE-compatible tips for no more than what the actual PSE tips would cost originally.
Old 02-25-2016 | 02:50 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Thanks for your help STG991. I think I understand you now. And if I do, I'd say that I'd probably be ok with a small gap between one pipe on each side and its tip, since that seems to be only a cosmetic issue if one looks real close under the car. And if I change my mind, it seems I can order some PSE-compatible tips for no more than what the actual PSE tips would cost originally.
Nope, I have an S with twin tips as well. Dealer said they would not mount properly on the PSE exhaust. I took him at his word, as it didn't matter to either of us. The only reason I wanted to use the old tips was because I liked them and wasn't sure how the PSE tips would differ.
Old 02-25-2016 | 02:53 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Nope, I have an S with twin tips as well. Dealer said they would not mount properly on the PSE exhaust.

They do mount, but with the shortcomings mentioned.

Last edited by STG; 02-25-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-25-2016 | 02:58 PM
R_Rated
Banned

I also have an S and installed my aftermarket exhaust myself so am positive of what I wrote and have included documentation in the links.
Old 02-25-2016 | 03:02 PM
STG
Race Director

In the big scope of things, the small gap shouldn't be a big deal. There's so much force coming out of the exhaust it's all getting blown out.

The left side is the one that will have a gap of about 1/2" with the "S" tips on a PSE exhaust.

The right clamp side will fit no issues.

If you want pics of BOTH S and PSE tips side by side I can send some to you sometime. PM me. They look identical in pics except for the finish and this short measurement. Just idiotic of Porsche to do this. Only reason being wanting you to buy new tips.
Old 02-25-2016 | 03:10 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by STG991
In the big scope of things, the small gap shouldn't be a big deal. There's so much force coming out of the exhaust it's all getting blown out.

The left side is the one that will have a gap of about 1/2" with the "S" tips on a PSE exhaust.

The right clamp side will fit no issues.
It's a jerry rigged setup on a 100K car IMHO. yes it will work but the exhaust will blow on the back of the pipe and potentially start to melt the bumper. With using S tips on PSE is no different than using base tips since either way the exhaust is not blowing out of the tip.

Also- - you will lose some of the aural benefit since the sound will not be directly exiting the car and in fact hit the outside of the exhaust tip instead.
Old 02-25-2016 | 03:13 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by R_Rated
It's a jerry rigged setup on a 100K car IMHO. yes it will work but the exhaust will blow on the back of the pipe and potentially start to melt the bumper. With using S tips on PSE is no different than using base tips since either way the exhaust is not blowing out of the tip.

Also- - you will lose some of the aural benefit since the sound will not be directly exiting the car and in fact hit the outside of the exhaust tip instead.
I'm NOT suggesting anyone do this. I wouldn't myself and agree with you. I wanted the right setup with no compromises.

Just outlining the facts about the differences of the two which nobody has been able to answer.

Quick Reply: S PSE vs. Non-PSE