Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 wheels on a GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 12:25 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wasn't there a dude in the Middle East who put them on?? And had them painted... CL I thought. No??
Old 08-21-2015, 12:30 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

GT3 wheel / tire combo will tuck inward 4 mm at front and about 3-5mm more inward AND outward at the rear vs the GTS wheel as viewed by the tire sidewall , assuming reuse of stock GTS Pirelli rubber, not GT3 spec Michelin Pilot SC2s, as these two tires prob have different section widths despite being the same " size "
Old 08-21-2015, 02:44 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Great wheels and very worth retrofitting.

Rear = No Problem.

Front = Fitment Issue.
Offset is opposite of what you want.
Reference is;
Sport Techno 9x20 49mm w/ 255-35-20.
Very tight to srut and tires nowhere near flush with fenders.
Most guys would want a 5-7mm spacer, for a more flush fit.
I hate spacers, so I leave it be.
Still better than the 8.5x20 51mm wheels w/ 245's.

However, I'd bet if you switched to GT3 Control Arms, you would gain the extra track, to make up for the increased offset.
Might be worth a call to Elephant, GMG or other Suspension Guru to find out if GT3 control arms can be retrofit.

I'll take a look at PET and see if the GT3 knuckles and hubs are also different, as they could affect track too.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:26 AM
Sayyaaf
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Honesty I was trying to do the same but i ended up ordering ADV1 centerlocks. They are lighter too but a little bit more expensive.

I ordered these. Supposed to be delivered next week after 6 weeks wait (1 week machine shop was down for calibration I believe)

Old 08-21-2015, 08:47 AM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

This is such a good looking GTS! Did you order your wheels through exclusive, or swap them out after delivery? Exclusive will not let me order the GT3 wheels on my build, so will probably relegate the standard ones to winter duty if I get a second set. Two reasons I'm looking for the GT3s over the GT4s - I want to keep the centerlocks and I like the wider setup of the GT3s.
Thanks! I ordered the wheels through the dealership and had them installed prior to delivery. There is almost NOTHING you can spec from exclusive for the GTS as they seem to want to keep the options limited. A personal friend of mine is a (current) factory race driver and he made a few calls and said even he couldn't get them to budge. By ordering pre-delivery and having them installed I feel it was the next best thing to the factory doing it, especially since I have the receipts to show that other than the first 8 delivery miles the car has had them on since new.

Good luck, they're awesome IMHO.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:37 AM
p987yow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry - wrong Canadian GTS owner starting with "V". Here's a link to the post - see page 6: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8425...journal-6.html
Old 08-21-2015, 10:49 AM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by p987yow
Sorry - wrong Canadian GTS owner starting with "V". Here's a link to the post - see page 6: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8425...journal-6.html
No worries and all good. For a minute there I thought I may have drunk ordered a set of GT3 wheels, posted on here, and then forgot they were coming.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:40 PM
BJK
Advanced

Originally Posted by STG991
Please keep us posted on what you decide to do.

My only concern would be the platinum finish on that style wheel. Over on the GT3 forum, there are a lot of complaints about paint chipping because of stones.

I think the finish isn't that great, and the wheel design with the fins contribute to it.

They do look great though!
Will do - my delivery date is scheduled for end of December, so it might be a little while before I work this out to completion. If I do go this route, I'll probably have winter tires put on the Turbo S wheels and the Pirelli's switched to the GT3s. (side note - I wonder if exclusive can spec MPSS rubber if available?)

As for the finish, I've followed the chipping complaints on the GT3 forum, and am ok with refinishing them when they get bad enough.

Originally Posted by lunarx
Great wheels and very worth retrofitting.

Rear = No Problem.

Front = Fitment Issue.
Offset is opposite of what you want.
Reference is;
Sport Techno 9x20 49mm w/ 255-35-20.
Very tight to srut and tires nowhere near flush with fenders.
Most guys would want a 5-7mm spacer, for a more flush fit.
I hate spacers, so I leave it be.
Still better than the 8.5x20 51mm wheels w/ 245's.

However, I'd bet if you switched to GT3 Control Arms, you would gain the extra track, to make up for the increased offset.
Might be worth a call to Elephant, GMG or other Suspension Guru to find out if GT3 control arms can be retrofit.

I'll take a look at PET and see if the GT3 knuckles and hubs are also different, as they could affect track too.
Thanks for the input. Switching out the control arms is an interesting point to consider. Seems like a potentially expensive path to go down, but certainly worth a call to GMG or Elephant. I've never really messed with suspension before, so I'm up for the learning experience.

A 5mm spacer sounds like a much easier route to keep the wheel in its proper place, but can you even do this with centerlocks? Is there any risk of slipping between the wheel and spacer under really hard breaking?
Old 08-21-2015, 01:42 PM
BJK
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sayyaaf
Honesty I was trying to do the same but i ended up ordering ADV1 centerlocks. They are lighter too but a little bit more expensive.

I ordered these. Supposed to be delivered next week after 6 weeks wait (1 week machine shop was down for calibration I believe)
I'm sure this will look great - please post pics after install!
Old 08-21-2015, 01:53 PM
BJK
Advanced

Originally Posted by ibmiked
Thanks! I ordered the wheels through the dealership and had them installed prior to delivery. There is almost NOTHING you can spec from exclusive for the GTS as they seem to want to keep the options limited. A personal friend of mine is a (current) factory race driver and he made a few calls and said even he couldn't get them to budge. By ordering pre-delivery and having them installed I feel it was the next best thing to the factory doing it, especially since I have the receipts to show that other than the first 8 delivery miles the car has had them on since new.

Good luck, they're awesome IMHO.
Did you trade in the Carrera S wheels that came on your build then? If you don't mind sharing, what was the net cost of this swap?

No kidding on making changes on a GTS! I've gotten a lot of negative responses so far from exclusive. I can spec the GTS package seat belts separate from the rest of the package, however - for $2500! Overall, the lack of flexibility is not too big a deal and I understand what they are trying to do - thankfully this is a pretty complete car straight from the factory.

Also, was told that the 918 style steering wheel will not be added to any 2016 911s. It will only come on the 991.2s. Exclusive won't spec a GT4 wheel either. I know a lot of people have been asking this question - sorry for the negative news.

Originally Posted by p987yow
Thanks!
Old 08-21-2015, 04:14 PM
Werks 1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was able to order the TURBO S Wheels for my 2016 Targa GTS......Silver outside with Black paint on the inside. This was done thru exclusive and replaces the ALL BLACK GTS wheel. The car is built and awaiting shipping....
Old 08-21-2015, 04:31 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Werks 1
I was able to order the TURBO S Wheels for my 2016 Targa GTS......Silver outside with Black paint on the inside. This was done thru exclusive and replaces the ALL BLACK GTS wheel. The car is built and awaiting shipping....
Nice one, hopefully Exclusive didn't charge you an arm and a leg to swp one set of wheels for another.

That said I've seen a 991 GTS in Agate Grey with the polished/black Turbo S wheels in person and I thought it looked great. Looking forward to your pics!
Old 08-21-2015, 10:43 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts
Default GT3 wheels on a GTS?

Originally Posted by BJK
Thanks! Really appreciate the help.

Here's some of the inspiration behind the original question:

If only the GT3 was available with a manual and rear seats...

Bingo! Go for it

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...um-wheels.html
Old 08-22-2015, 04:37 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Might Work

Originally Posted by BJK
Thanks for the input. Switching out the control arms is an interesting point to consider. Seems like a potentially expensive path to go down, but certainly worth a call to GMG or Elephant. I've never really messed with suspension before, so I'm up for the learning experience.

A 5mm spacer sounds like a much easier route to keep the wheel in its proper place, but can you even do this with centerlocks? Is there any risk of slipping between the wheel and spacer under really hard breaking?
As for Front Clearance w/o changing suspension or tires (keep 245 tires);
Inner clearance reduces by 6.5mm (1/4").
Thats 4mm (from wheel offset change) + 2.54mm (from increased tire section width, from wheel width change).

So if you can get a 1/4" rod and it clears your strut and tire w/ room to spare you should be OK

As for outboard fender clearance, that reduces by 1.5mm.
(4mm - 2.54mm)

Therefore, w/o increasing track, you are stuck with the same conservative fender clearance as now.

If you wanted to up-size to a 255 tire.
That would put you 9mm (0.4") closer to strut & 4mm (0.2') closer to outer fenders.
That is the case where you probably need to increase track.

GT3 uses same Control Arms (forward link) and Crossmember as us.
However, just about everything else is different (Wishbone, Knuckle, Hub, Upper Strut Mount etc.).

All those different things probably account for the track increase, that requires the extra offset on the GT3 Wheels.

According to what I see here on Elephants Website, you can widen the track with their Lower Control Arm [aka Wishbone] and Camber Plates.
http://www.elephantracing.com/suspen...ntrol-arms.htm
Widen track - Use [adjustable lower control arms] in combination with our camberplates on the front, ... to widen the track. This allows you to achieve a wider track without altering the scrub radius as happens when using wheel spacers.
I might look into this track increasing myself.
Also, if I ever got a GTS w/ CL I would want GT3 wheels on it too.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:59 PM
BJK
Advanced

Originally Posted by Werks 1
Depending on the cost from exclusive, this might be my backup plan. Please post pictures when yours arrives - I'm sure it will look great!

Originally Posted by STG991
Oh boy... Looks like there is some interest already.

Are you keeping track of the sales you are responsible for from your threads on this and GT3 forums? You should ask for a finders fee!

Quick Reply: GT3 wheels on a GTS?