Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My GTS - Journal

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:59 PM
Gasguzlr
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome car! Congrats on finally receiving it, and I'm glad you dealer came through for you. You are going to love it.

I also went with the LED option, and while the XEY option for black was not available in Canada at the time, I'm happy with the way they look after all. And I think they look great on yours as well.

Cheers and big congrats!

Ross
Old 01-27-2015, 09:57 AM
Vetsky
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks all.

Yeah, my order was placed before the black LED option was available. I saw the black lights on the LA car show models and thought maybe they would have been included, as the standard lights came in black. It is not that big of a deal and the silver lights go well enough with GT Silver.

So in other news, I'm looking for another set of rims and I like the way the GT3 wheels look. I asked the dealer to try a set on while they were swapping out for the winters. Here is a pic. He said they fit fine, but I did not get a shot with them on while the car was lowered. When I pick up the car today I will get some more details.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

^^^ are the offsets correct?

Also take a look at the HRE P43s and the Forgeline GT1s ...
Old 01-27-2015, 03:12 PM
Vetsky
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
^^^ are the offsets correct?

Also take a look at the HRE P43s and the Forgeline GT1s ...
He said yes. That is what they were checking for. After seeing the picture above, I'm not sure they are worth the $8k on the GTS.

I will look at the HRE's. Although I have to say that I like the black turbo wheels MUCH more than I thought I would.

Four hours and counting till I pick her up.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vetsky
He said yes. That is what they were checking for. After seeing the picture above, I'm not sure they are worth the $8k on the GTS.

I will look at the HRE's. Although I have to say that I like the black turbo wheels MUCH more than I thought I would.

Four hours and counting till I pick her up.
they are growing on me too .... they looked great on that SBM Cab @ Sonnen
Old 01-27-2015, 04:34 PM
DES GTS
Pro

Received 174 Likes on 108 Posts

The black LEDs are only available as of February production. If you like them enough I'm sure your dealer will be able to retrofit them for you later this year at considerable cost.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:49 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts

I think Suncoast Porsche still has a sale on the GT3 wheels for around $6,200+. These are wheels only, but surely the Black Turbo S CL wheels should be worth quite a bit, especially as they are forged, not cast. I have asked via email if Suncoast would take the Turbo S wheels in trade for the GT3s. So far, no response. I'd guess probably not. I bet Wheel Enhancement would take the Turbo S CL wheels, but I do not see the 991 GT3 wheel on their website. Have not called them. I do really like the Forgeline GA1R-CL Monoblock forged wheels, but it looks like the size limit is 19". There is a really nice 20" HRE wheel that should fit the new GTS: HRE P44SC Monoblock CL. Perhaps the best course for those of us who would like to have CL wheels, but not the Porsche OEM Turbo S, would be to pick one from either Forgline or HRE, purchased from Wheel Enhancement by trading in the wheels that came on the car. But those original GT3 wheels sure do look good on the GTS!
Old 01-27-2015, 05:17 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

I really like the look of the GT3 wheels on your GTS but not sure I would go that route... great design and I love the platinum finish too.

Originally Posted by kwikit356
I do really like the Forgeline GA1R-CL Monoblock forged wheels, but it looks like the size limit is 19".
Nope these are available in 20", I have a quote for them sitting in my inbox... looks great in 19" on this GT3 and love this finish too. Maybe next summer?

Old 01-27-2015, 05:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kwikit356
I think Suncoast Porsche still has a sale on the GT3 wheels for around $6,200+. These are wheels only, but surely the Black Turbo S CL wheels should be worth quite a bit, especially as they are forged, not cast. I have asked via email if Suncoast would take the Turbo S wheels in trade for the GT3s. So far, no response. I'd guess probably not. I bet Wheel Enhancement would take the Turbo S CL wheels, but I do not see the 991 GT3 wheel on their website. Have not called them. I do really like the Forgeline GA1R-CL Monoblock forged wheels, but it looks like the size limit is 19". There is a really nice 20" HRE wheel that should fit the new GTS: HRE P44SC Monoblock CL. Perhaps the best course for those of us who would like to have CL wheels, but not the Porsche OEM Turbo S, would be to pick one from either Forgline or HRE, purchased from Wheel Enhancement by trading in the wheels that came on the car. But those original GT3 wheels sure do look good on the GTS!
If you ever plan to resell your GTS, you want to keep the OEM Turbo S CLs IMO
Old 01-27-2015, 05:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vise
I really like the look of the GT3 wheels on your GTS but not sure I would go that route... great design and I love the platinum finish too.

Nope these are available in 20", I have a quote for them sitting in my inbox... looks great in 19" on this GT3 and love this finish too. Maybe next summer?

these look good, although I prefer the GT1s ... but the GT3 wheels look good too and a smidge cheaper than either HRE or Forgeline
Old 01-27-2015, 05:37 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

The GT3 wheels belong on that model. Not to mention, they're having huge issues with the finish chipping off. I think there is a quality issue going on there that you don't want to get into.

Why pay that much money for another OEM look? I would definitely go the aftermarket route.

Last edited by STG; 01-27-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:41 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Or you can just refinish the black GTS center locks for a new look.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG991
The GT3 wheels belong on that model. Not to mention, they're having huge issues with the finished chipping off. I think there is a quality issue going on there that you don't want to get into.

Why pay that much money for another OEM look? I would definitely go the aftermarket route.
good to know
Old 01-27-2015, 06:05 PM
HRE Wheels
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Let us know if you need any help, OP!
Old 01-27-2015, 11:29 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks guys for all the good information. I had no idea there were finish issues with the 991 GT3 wheels.
I wasn't thinking about resale of the GTS, but the fact remains that at some point it will be sold, whether by me or my kids, so Larry's point about keeping the original Turbo S wheels is literally right on the money. I should know better; I lost the original 4.5"x15" painted steel rims from my 356 in a storage location change many years ago. Whatever our personal tastes may be in 2015, many years from now originality of these cars will probably matter as much as it does with 356s and early 911s today.
I think I'll keep the Turbo S wheels and go with either the HRE P44SC or the Forgeline GA1R (now that I know they can be made in the 20" rim size). The question then becomes which finish/color will look best on a Sapphire Blue car with painted side skirts and rear fascia. I think I must have transferred my OCD needs from option choices to wheels once I could no longer torture myself due to the car locking. When I was younger it was good to have a mentor; now what I need is a minder! Does anyone have a wife he could loan me for this? She would have to comfortable with minding more than one of us at the same time. Pretty tricky, when Porsches are involved.

Last edited by kwikit356; 01-27-2015 at 11:31 PM. Reason: grammar

Quick Reply: My GTS - Journal