Sponsored by:

How did you mount your phone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 04:56 PM
twlai
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered this from ebay,
iphone6 magnetic holder using the CD mount slot.

I wasn't going to buy, but I saw the picture and it is on same PCM as the 991 interior!!!
Maybe it is from another Porsche model....
It looks good! I hope the quality is good, and the magnet is strong.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:37 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

Having this CD mount blocks the PCM - does that matter to you? The reason this mount would not work for me.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:28 PM
G8tor
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Also doing the T mount, just notified it's shipping today.
Thanks for the original link.
I really like the start in sport switch, may do it in the future.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:25 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone use a T-design mount during track use? It seems like a nice mount but i want to make sure it is very secure during track days.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:10 PM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the Kenu Airframe, I thought a vent mount solution would be total crap but this thing is solid. Well designed, inexpensive, and no sticky tape or any other stuff that can affect the finishes on your interior.

http://www.kenu.com/products/airframe
Old 08-14-2015, 12:56 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,545 Likes on 5,067 Posts

Originally Posted by hsmith
Anyone use a T-design mount during track use? It seems like a nice mount but i want to make sure it is very secure during track days.
Won't work for the track.

Get a rammount instead.
http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-138-UN7U
Old 08-14-2015, 01:12 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 739 Likes on 403 Posts

I use this one on the left vent. I love it. Didn't think I would and was very skeptical. It is out of the way yet accessible when needed.

http://t.brookstone.com/airframe-plu...907473p&catId=
Old 08-15-2015, 03:25 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,760 Likes on 692 Posts

I just received my T-Design mount and it works great. Installed in 30 seconds on the right side of the PCM screen and positions the phone perfectly for how I use it. Easy to see and easy to interact with. Also very easy to run a black iPhone cable from the phone to the glovebox without the appearance of ugly cords everywhere. Sorry for the low quality photos but it was raining and I didn't want to leave the garage

Wow, there are a lot of buttons, lights and indicators going on in this photo!

Clear view of the screen and easy to control.

Close up shot showing how clean this installs looks from the driver side.

A little less clean looking from the passenger seat but an improvement over storing the phone in the passenger side netting and asking my wife to control it for me
Old 08-15-2015, 04:00 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

This setup does not allow you to use the all important and extremely useful cupholder!!!
Old 08-15-2015, 04:09 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
This setup does not allow you to use the all important and extremely useful cupholder!!!
LOL! That is an undocumented feature. I honestly wish that I could remove the little cup holder icon and seal that damn thing shut. The only purpose it serves is that my kids love to keep playing with it, likely right up until they break it And I think the little cup icon looks silly, like Porsche sponsored by McDonalds.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:42 PM
RichardC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by msmith
RchardC,
Which wireless Qi charger did you use that will fit into the t design mount? I can't find one.
I found a cheap one on ebay that works great with no issues. Charges my phone as soon as I pop it in, no need to plug in a cable.

If you do a search for Wireless Qi charger, it's one of the most common ones that pops up.

Richard
Old 08-16-2015, 10:58 PM
aoysgelt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does it remain secure? There is obviously something going between PCM and trim - but what prevents it from coming loose?
Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
I just received my T-Design mount and it works great. Installed in 30 seconds on the right side of the PCM screen and positions the phone perfectly for how I use it. Easy to see and easy to interact with. Also very easy to run a black iPhone cable from the phone to the glovebox without the appearance of ugly cords everywhere. Sorry for the low quality photos but it was raining and I didn't want to leave the garage

Wow, there are a lot of buttons, lights and indicators going on in this photo!

Clear view of the screen and easy to control.

Close up shot showing how clean this installs looks from the driver side.

A little less clean looking from the passenger seat but an improvement over storing the phone in the passenger side netting and asking my wife to control it for me
Old 08-17-2015, 01:52 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aoysgelt
How does it remain secure? There is obviously something going between PCM and trim - but what prevents it from coming loose?
The phone mount is attached to a metal bracket that very easily slides between the edge of the PCM display and the surrounding trim. It slides in with just the smallest amount of force and so far it seems to stay put quite well. Time will tell if it loosens up but no evidence of that so far.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:34 AM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 267 Likes on 175 Posts

Hi everybody. I'm Vlad, guy who makes T-Design mounts. Not one but two of my customers referenced me to this thread. So I thought I'd better chime in and introduce myself.

I have an 981S Boxster and pretty heavy case of OCD common among Porsche owners When I realized there is no good way to mount a phone in a Porsche without wires hanging all around the place, and without phone and suction cups falling down, and without it all looking like a monstrous monstrosity... I came up with an idea and custom made one for myself. My objectives were 1) Simple, clean look 2) Great visibility and usability for Nav and music 3) Fast, easy, one hand operation when you want to insert the phone, and when you need to grab the phone.

It turned out all right. So I posted it on the other forum and people got excited and wanted it too, and that's how it all started 3 years ago. As it's tailored for Porsche and the market is very small - I still assemble those mounts myself, in my kitchen This also allows me to ensure quality of every single piece.

I was also suffering from having no sunglass cabbie. As I wear prescription sunglasses and I change glasses every single time I enter and exit car in summer... So that's how my other thing - Sunglass Holster was created. It helps you grab sunglasses in one second.

It can all be found at T-Design9.com

Here's my car in Vermont, state my plate fits well in

Last edited by t-design; 08-17-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:43 AM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 267 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by hsmith
Many people run lap timers on their phones using my mount for the track. Usually in top-center position, which is not available in 911 due to vents design, but right of the PCM position will work too

Notice how solid the mount is during max Gs. You can see power cord flying around but the phone is glued in place:
@1:40
https://vimeo.com/91921581

Last edited by t-design; 08-17-2015 at 12:55 PM.

Quick Reply: How did you mount your phone?