Sponsored by:

How did you mount your phone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 10:13 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by FergusH
I watched the video on their Web site but it's not clear to me how the mount, well, mounts. Can someone describe how it actually fits?

Thanks!
If you stop the video at around 1:35 or so, you will see that the mount has a blade the jams into the top or side of the PCM
Old 08-10-2015, 01:52 AM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

I went low tech/low cost:
Nexcon Universal air vent mount from Amazon, $15.
I use it for my iphone 6plus and is reasonable.
only negative is that its a 2 hand job to attach/detach phone.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:55 AM
tron786
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How did you mount your phone?

4 problems with air vent mounts
1. They block the air
2. They can damage the vent blades.
3. You need both hands to remove the phone.
4. The attachment is often flimsy.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:14 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by tron786
4 problems with air vent mounts
1. They block the air
2. They can damage the vent blades.
3. You need both hands to remove the phone.
4. The attachment is often flimsy.
The Apple store (among others) carries a sturdy, well padded smooth working Belkin vent mount that allows one hand mounting and dismounting of the iPhone- and the mount itself when not in use.

I have had no vent blade damage after two years of consistent use, including frequent attachment of a power cord from the passenger side footwell outlet. It does block air from half the vent, but the dash top "waifting" vent provides for draftless AC anyway.

A bonus is that the design is a perfect match for the silver trim in the 991.

http://www.belkin.com/us/Device/d/IPHONE/

The Kenu I had before getting the Belkin was by comparison, a Yugo class device.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:22 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the Scosche mount. Its not for everyone, but having used it in several automobiles for a few years I find that the 3M VHB tape holds firmly and does no damage when removed. Because it uses magnets it is much smaller than other mounts and allows you to position the phone either landscape or portrait and then one-handedly remove the phone altogether. It comes with two small metal discs, either of which will fit on the outside of your phone or between the phone and it's case. I highly recommend it.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:43 PM
Cpages2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tron786
Simple elegant mount from t-design. He is member on another forum who makes these himself.
I find this a better position for eye level rather than on the bottom console.

http://t-design9.com
Just ordered this. Thank you for posting!
Old 08-10-2015, 01:21 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

[quote=ibmiked;12498039]I use the Scosche mount. Its not for everyone, but having used it in several automobiles for a few years I find that the 3M VHB tape holds firmly and does no damage when removed. Because it uses magnets it is much smaller than other mounts and allows you to position the phone either landscape or portrait and then one-handedly remove the phone altogether. It comes with two small metal discs, either of which will fit on the outside of your phone or between the phone and it's case. I highly recommend it.

Thanks Mike. Just ordered:
Amazon.com: SCOSCHE MagicMount- Magnetic Dash Mount for Mobile devices - Car Mounts - Frustration-Free Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: SCOSCHE MagicMount- Magnetic Dash Mount for Mobile devices - Car Mounts - Frustration-Free Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Last edited by 77tony; 08-17-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:45 PM
Yard Dog
Instructor

The t-design looks like a good solution, but $69 a pop is a lot for what it is.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:36 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 592 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
The Apple store (among others) carries a sturdy, well padded smooth working Belkin vent mount that allows one hand mounting and dismounting of the iPhone- and the mount itself when not in use.

I have had no vent blade damage after two years of consistent use, including frequent attachment of a power cord from the passenger side footwell outlet. It does block air from half the vent, but the dash top "waifting" vent provides for draftless AC anyway.

A bonus is that the design is a perfect match for the silver trim in the 991.

http://www.belkin.com/us/Device/d/IPHONE/

The Kenu I had before getting the Belkin was by comparison, a Yugo class device.
I ordered the Belkin based on your post. Thanks for the info!
Old 08-13-2015, 09:53 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ibmiked
I use the Scosche mount.
Where in your 991 do you stick the magnet base? I see how it works in a plastic-filled Tundra, but I'm not sure there's a low impact yet visible location in our cars to place a mount like this.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:01 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

For me, this setup has worked pretty decently.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...rch_detailpage
But with the blade placed vertical and shoved in the panel gap between the right side of the PCM screen and adjacent vinyl (may be leather in full leather cars) trim piece. I've fit both iPhone 6 and Nexus 6 in there without any issues. A 3ft cord is a good length to tuck between the passenger seat and center console on its way to a USB cigarette lighter adapter in the rear center console storage box. Pro-tip: make sure whatever USB cigarette adapter you're using has enough amp output to adequately charge your devices.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...rch_detailpage
And then if I'm using nav one device and Waze on the other, I'll put the Waze device in this but with the suction cup mounted to the driver's side window in the blind spot area beside the A pillar. I know this sounds and looks ridiculous and obviously you can't roll down the window, but it's a secure, visible location that works.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:07 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

OK, this thread is killing me. I come to RL as a place of refuge looking for fellow OCD Porscheophiles. So I don't understand what all you guys with these vent mounts do with the power cords. It's like hanging a radar detector on the windshield and having an exposed coiled cord stretching down to the 12V socket. Aaaaaargh. How do any of you get any sleep at night knowing there are exposed power cords in your Porsche!!!!
Old 08-13-2015, 12:53 PM
Yard Dog
Instructor

^^^
This might help with your radar detector:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/80477...re-of-dog.html
Old 08-13-2015, 02:16 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hinckley
power cords
Tuck the cord between trim pieces using a thin plastic card as a kind of wedge. Coil excess cord into the glove box, rear center console box, or under the passenger floor mat. A flat cord works easier than a standard cylindrical one, and flat ones are available on Amazon.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:38 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts
Default How did you mount your phone?

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
Tuck the cord between trim pieces using a thin plastic card as a kind of wedge. Coil excess cord into the glove box, rear center console box, or under the passenger floor mat. A flat cord works easier than a standard cylindrical one, and flat ones are available on Amazon.
I have a powered mount on the console and can hide the cord completely. Obviously, I'm just joking (kinda) but I've never really been able to figure out how to hide the cords for the vent mounts. I do think that mounting phones at that height is better and safer though.

Quick Reply: How did you mount your phone?