Sponsored by:

991.2 "undisguised"

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 01:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Don't believe so. Doing that would tweak everything. The main body is still the same, except for front/rear bumpers and doors with the door handles from what I can tell.
agreed, it just looks more "humpbacked" in that photo...
Old 07-23-2015, 01:36 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Default 991.2 "undisguised"

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
agreed, it just looks more "humpbacked" in that photo...
I agree

Too many other distractions going on with this facelift. Ha ha.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PLom
More here from Auto Motor und Sport. It would appear that the steering wheel **** is standard. My loose translation below of the relevant parts:

...The response characteristics of the new Turbo motor was a particular concern of Achleitner [Leader of the modification team]. Since the air intake for the intercooler is intergrated with the engine hood, and not like the 911 Turbo in the rear fender, he was a bit concerned that the incoming are flow would be sufficient.

To address such concern, he came up with the idea of the SRB (Sports Response Button) with four settings, 0, S, S1, and I, which would allow for sharply defined different response settings of the engine, by regulating the throttle opening. The result is amazing, switching to position S, for passing on public roads yields no noticeable turbo lag. On the track, position S1 is almost maliciously sensitive to the smalles throttle increase. The "I" means "Individual" and allows for settings after your own taste....

It also indicates that the 370 and 420PS for the base and S, is rumored, but team leader Achleitner says:

....We will give the 911 an appropriate performance, we will not bring it to shame, in addition we will strive for a gas consumption of roughly seven liters/100 km...

No guarantee I got everything correct, but I believe this is the gist.

Cheers, -Peter
Interesting, so they have returned to putting the intercooler "on top" of the engine as it was from the 930-993 turbo's and moved away from the RUF/996 design where there were two smaller intercoolers mounted low
down on either side of the engine in the rear fenders....

I wonder why?
Old 07-23-2015, 03:28 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

I gotta tell you, the 991.2 is going to be great. Sure, they'll be some things that we don't like and some things that will be better. But c'mon, in its modern manifestations, you gotta give Porsche credit for getting the 911 right. Everytime. I'm very happy with my 991.1, but the .2 is not Armageddon!

I can't help thinking about what Porsche internet chat boards would have been like way back when the 911 switched from air- to water-cooled. Based on the reaction to this relatively minor facelift, I'm guessing there wouldn't have been enough bandwidth and storage to contain the outrage and demands for revolution!
Old 07-23-2015, 03:35 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Interesting, so they have returned to putting the intercooler "on top" of the engine as it was from the 930-993 turbo's and moved away from the RUF/996 design where there were two smaller intercoolers mounted low
down on either side of the engine in the rear fenders....

I wonder why?
IIRC, the 959 should get credit for that IC placement.

Can't imagine, staring at my GTS engine (and I assume there's an engine under the motherboard cooling fans that are all I can see when I raise the hood), that you could stuff an IC of any consequence in there. But it does beg the question, if they're not feeding them through the fenders, where are they getting air?
Old 07-23-2015, 03:44 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
I gotta tell you, the 991.2 is going to be great. Sure, they'll be some things that we don't like and some things that will be better. But c'mon, in its modern manifestations, you gotta give Porsche credit for getting the 911 right. Everytime. I'm very happy with my 991.1, but the .2 is not Armageddon! I can't help thinking about what Porsche internet chat boards would have been like way back when the 911 switched from air- to water-cooled. Based on the reaction to this relatively minor facelift, I'm guessing there wouldn't have been enough bandwidth and storage to contain the outrage and demands for revolution!
I'm with you all the way but I fear we are in the minority and I'm reaching for the flack jacket as I write I adore my 991.1 and have no plans to change but there are features of the f/l that sound like a step in the right direction IMO... Namely the 'individual setting' if done right could be the answer to the huge gap between sport and sport + modes.... The PCM looks like a step forward for us tech heads.... The front bumper appeals to me.... Low end torque appeals to me.... The rear engine grill appeals to me (joke! It's horrific!) These latest pics added some interest to what was starting to feel like an over-drawn out thread.. The lights in the latest pics are still clearly being camouflaged yet the engine grille components look like hard tooled parts... Why? What else is being kept 'under the hood' so to speak? The exhausts leave us all guessing which is kinda fun.... And what if the rear grill is a red-herring ? I bet a heap of porsche employees are trawling these threads laughing with every mouthful of weissbier!
Old 07-23-2015, 03:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
IIRC, the 959 should get credit for that IC placement.

Can't imagine, staring at my GTS engine (and I assume there's an engine under the motherboard cooling fans that are all I can see when I raise the hood), that you could stuff an IC of any consequence in there. But it does beg the question, if they're not feeding them through the fenders, where are they getting air?
shoot good point about the 959!!

I think the article alluded to the IC air coming from the engine decklid... I'm guessing that with Porsche's turbo technology and experience with ICs they
might be running the turbo's with relatively low (variable) boost (hence the various modes to adjust) and thus perhaps they need relatively less IC and
they can cram a small one under that decklid ...
Old 07-23-2015, 03:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hinckley
I gotta tell you, the 991.2 is going to be great. Sure, they'll be some things that we don't like and some things that will be better. But c'mon, in its modern manifestations, you gotta give Porsche credit for getting the 911 right. Everytime. I'm very happy with my 991.1, but the .2 is not Armageddon!

I can't help thinking about what Porsche internet chat boards would have been like way back when the 911 switched from air- to water-cooled. Based on the reaction to this relatively minor facelift, I'm guessing there wouldn't have been enough bandwidth and storage to contain the outrage and demands for revolution!
thats always the case with a new generation ...
Old 07-23-2015, 03:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
I'm with you all the way but I fear we are in the minority and I'm reaching for the flack jacket as I write I adore my 991.1 and have no plans to change but there are features of the f/l that sound like a step in the right direction IMO... Namely the 'individual setting' if done right could be the answer to the huge gap between sport and sport + modes.... The PCM looks like a step forward for us tech heads.... The front bumper appeals to me.... Low end torque appeals to me.... The rear engine grill appeals to me (joke! It's horrific!) These latest pics added some interest to what was starting to feel like an over-drawn out thread.. The lights in the latest pics are still clearly being camouflaged yet the engine grille components look like hard tooled parts... Why? What else is being kept 'under the hood' so to speak? The exhausts leave us all guessing which is kinda fun.... And what if the rear grill is a red-herring ? I bet a heap of porsche employees are trawling these threads laughing with every mouthful of weissbier!
maybe they'd been drinking too much when they designed the grille, although its clear its deriving its inspiration from the 356's ... which is
cool...

I'll bet when we see one in person, it will all be different!
Old 07-23-2015, 04:09 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Default 991.2 "undisguised&quo t;

Do you know how Porsche will win most people over and the "mass" buying audience?

The interior electronics and gadgets. That's what everyone is looking for. To the masses, that is more important than what engine is in there.

Mr. Suburban guy, think you can't drive this year round? Hey, we have a new front lift option for you.

Don't want to lose any of your BMW gadgets? We have those too in a sports car. Oh, shhhh... It's not a sports car. Exterior styling? Yeah we've got that M look for you too.

Porsche is looking to take market share and win over a bigger audience. That's marketing and sales. It's big business guys. Not a niche enthusiast company anymore.

Big investments in manufacturing output and the dealer network. There are big plans for additional market share and broader appeal.

What does the future hold? Who knows. I'll buy whatever appeals to me. Hopefully it's still a Porsche.

Many of the reasons above are why I don't like BMW's. Let's hope Porsche's best days aren't behind them. I mean geez, they can't even get the 991 GT3 engine figured out without tons of issues. I love the GT3 and how unfortunate.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:24 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts
Default 991.2 "undisguised"

I strongly believe Porsches best days are ahead of us. Just need to stay true to their values. When things are going great like they are know. It's easy to get carried away.
Not good to make 911 a m3/m4 rival! A 911 should be a 911. And not cool to make RS cosy and a good every day car. Then it's no longer RS.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:38 PM
SB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is it that there is so much talk about the grill (that btw i think would look much better when painted in body color which i beleive they would do on production car), and no complaints about extra 40kg (100lbs) of weight over the rear axle....

In any case, I think everyone also missed the electrically spooled turbo ...that's my interpretation of google's translated autobild article:

For maximum acceleration, the turbocharger harnessed to electrically, lace turbo lag on the length blink of an eye to (no boost pressure increase, overboost!)...

i admit, the translator does a horrible job of translation, but "turbocharger harnessed to electronically" meaning seems relatively clear...
I also read that Audi is bringing the new Audi S4 to Frankfurt auto show with twin turbos, one of these turbos is electric.. since it is the same company, this technology could be shared between 911 and audi engines ...in different states of tune/sizes.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:44 PM
pavster
Instructor

Now that would be a gamechanger. An electric turbo is technically a supercharger though.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:47 PM
SB
Instructor

Originally Posted by pavster
Now that would be a gamechanger. An electric turbo is technically a supercharger though.
turbocharger = exhaust gas driven
supercharger = engine/belt driven
electric turbo = driven by a separate electric motor, not the engine.....
Old 07-23-2015, 04:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by pavster
An electric turbo is technically a supercharger though.
Wut?

Quick Reply: 991.2 "undisguised"