Volkswagen reportedly being restructured into four holding companies

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 10:50 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Volkswagen reportedly being restructured into four holding companies

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11506159...ured-into-four

An interesting report coming from Germany states Volkswagen will be revamped into four holding companies.

Handelsblatt is citing sources close to the Volkswagen Group who are saying the corporate structure is about to be overhauled by implementing a decentralized configuration with four individual holding companies. It seems ex BMW manager Herbert Diess will be in charge of one of these four holdings which will come to life as a measure to cut costs, especially those related to manufacturing.

VAG isn't saying a word yet about these rumors, but it is believed the first holding will encompass Volkswagen, Skoda and SEAT while Audi, Lamborghini and Ducati will form the second one.

The third holding is believed to include MAN, Scania and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles while the fourth and final one will have Bugatti, Porsche and Bentley.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:48 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yay, we made it into the badass division
Old 06-16-2015, 07:36 AM
trysixty
Racer

It would be a first if four decentralized groups were more profitable than one centralized admin.....unless VAG is planning a spinoff of one or more of the groups. So which one will be sold to the Chinese? Think about it
Old 06-16-2015, 10:00 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Volkswagen reportedly being restructured into four holding companies

Eduardo has a great thread started on some of the corporate background on Porsche/VW. I haven't dug through all of it, but interesting reading for those interested in the corporate side of things. Money, power, family legacies, you could probably make a movie about this stuff.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...ory-board.html
Old 06-16-2015, 01:53 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Eduardo has a great thread started on some of the corporate background on Porsche/VW. I haven't dug through all of it, but interesting reading for those interested in the corporate side of things. Money, power, family legacies, you could probably make a movie about this stuff.
I read a long article about this a few years back. Can't remember all the details, but I recall the heads of VW and Porsche really did/do not like each other and the VW head/family had all the power.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:42 PM
mgent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would imagine there's a bit of bad blood since Porsche secretly tried to buy VW, but got it's hand caught in the cookie jar resulting in VW actually owning Porsche... Not to mention the (now former) VW chairman is a Porsche family member, and controls one of the bigger family stakes in VW/Porsche...

There are times where restructuring makes sense, especially with how dysfunctional some of the current mgmt. structures are, infighting, etc... I'm surprised Bugatti is really continuing on, since that was basically just a F. Peich science/ego project... I'm also surprised that Audi/Porsche/Lambo aren't grouped together, as there's lots of platform sharing and the ability for lots more in the future... At the same time, Bugatti/Porsche/Bentley don't share anything really. I would guess that that group is poised for a spinout/IPO, with Porsche's profits paying for Bugatti... Would solve all the power struggles between Porsche and Audi/Lambo over chassis, etc...
Old 06-16-2015, 03:36 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I swear sometimes it seems like some companies have senior management that do nothing more than reorganize themselves just to keep busy.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:31 AM
trysixty
Racer

Originally Posted by MJBird993
I swear sometimes it seems like some companies have senior management that do nothing more than reorganize themselves just to keep busy.
....since they usually are overhead burden on the bottom line, how else can they get a golden handshake?? If there is a divestiture within the VW family, the Chinese already owning Pirelli need a hot car for their tires
Old 06-17-2015, 03:41 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
Default We have not heard the last from Ferdinand Piëch...

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I read a long article about this a few years back. Can't remember all the details, but I recall the heads of VW and Porsche really did/do not like each other and the VW head/family had all the power.

Originally Posted by STG991

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...ory-board.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Quick Reply: Volkswagen reportedly being restructured into four holding companies