Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK vs 7MT

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 10:31 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

There are times when o wish I had a manual gearbox for the fun factor. As I DD my 911 the PDK was the more practical choice.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:50 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,141 Likes on 684 Posts

past the 7 pages . . . time to close this thread
Old 05-06-2015, 02:08 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Rzani-

I could have written the same letter. I am 71 yo and have only driven MT cars since I was 16 yo. I bought my first new Porsche in 1974 and owned MT Porsches ever since until 2013. I had multiple back surgeries and had trouble with accelerator/clutch coordination on my 1995 993. So I traded it for a 2013 991 with PDK. To make a long story short, it bored me. My left foot and right hand were motionless. I tried it in manual. The performance was spectacular but boring to my left foot. I sold it in February and take delivery of a 991 GTS tomorrow morning. Me, my right hand and left foot are overwhelmed by the GTS. I have been out to see it and it is knock-out gorgeous. I am not disappointed. I am determined to live years longer to drive it.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:11 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Good for you freeman! We are of the same mind. Enjoy your GTS.

John
Old 05-06-2015, 02:14 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,861 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Rzani
Here is a question that I think will help me quite a bit if some of the forum members are willing to give me an honest answer: If you own a PDK, what percentage of the time would you estimate are you driving the car in manual mode vs. full auto mode?
Even though I just ordered my 991 S with the 7MT, I have the PDK in my Cayman S and the DCT in my RS5. I don't use the paddles that much, probably less than 10 percent of the time in full paddle mode, but that's not all there is to these transmissions. In full auto (at least in sport mode) the upshifts are instantaneous, the downshifts are rev matched perfectly and the system adapts to my driving style at any given time in a way that allows me to focus all my attention on the driving and still look like a champ. It improves my driving and makes the performance of the car more accessible, just like other aspects of the car, no different than what the chassis of the Cayman does for me. The PDK, IMO, is not simply an automatic transmission, it's much more than that.

I ordered my S with the 7MT for two reasons. One, like you, I've mostly had manuals and love the feel of rowing through the gears. It's an itch/addiction that simply needs scratching. And second, once I drove one, quite by accident, I was blown away by how good the manual gearbox is on the 991. It's fantastic. Just like the PDK.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:15 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
I am 71 yo and have only driven MT cars since I was 16 yo.
70 is the new 40! I'm 56 and am dreading turning 30!
Old 05-06-2015, 02:17 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 232 Likes on 124 Posts

Here is a question that I think will help me quite a bit if some of the forum members are willing to give me an honest answer: If you own a PDK, what percentage of the time would you estimate are you driving the car in manual mode vs. full auto mode?
Great question. I am new to PDK, 350 miles over the last week, plus two half-hour test drives prior to ordering. Have been driving H-pattern manual gearboxes since 1980 when I learned to drive. And I still have a couple other vehicles with such boxes, so I am not without a way to get my fix.

In another thread on RL Hinkley asked me if I thought I'd keep using the manual function of the box, or just give in and leave it in auto. Here's what I wrote:

Yeah, that would be the easy route, for sure. It's funny how we get retrained -- in all my test drives of PDK cars in February I'd come to a slow roll to a stop light and find my left leg pressing a phantom clutch pedal trying to take the car out of gear. Now, I've started nearly stalling my Wrangler when I come to a light because I just roll up to it and forget to put the clutch in!

So far my natural desire is to continue controlling the box myself, mostly so I can enjoy the aural thrill of up and downshifting exactly when I want and inducing that beautiful BLAT-BLAT-POP-POP-SNARL on overrun. I think that for that reason alone I may stick to my manual shifting even when the new wears off, but we'll see. I remember getting an A4 loaner back in maybe 98, when they first got the Tiptronic with shift buttons on the wheel. My wife had a 97 without the buttons and I thought the buttons would be a game changer -- I could sorta have a manual, while wifey gets her auto.

But before I even got home from the dealer I had switched back to full auto and never thought about it again. There was absolutely no benefit to using the buttons for manual control except possibly in the mountains when you were really hammering and wanted to stay in a higher gear than the auto would hold.

But with the PDK, since there are actual, real entertainment benefits to shifting yourself, I have so far found myself always choosing it. But 350 miles is certainly a short test sample. We'll see!
Old 05-06-2015, 03:33 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope the Porshe NA web-spys are keeping tabs on this site.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:41 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
I am determined to live years longer to drive it.

When the time finally comes and someone asks what you've regretted most in life, my response will undoubtedly be "not enough seat time in the Porsche."
Old 05-06-2015, 03:42 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just want to weigh in quickly. The PDK is a great transmission. It's telepathic, and each shift is instantaneous, utterly perfect. It's not necessarily better than the 7MT, just different. That said, I personally find it boring. Even using the paddles to shift in manual mode (which I do virtually 100% of the time), I do not find it nearly as engaging as driving a manual. With my C2S manual, I felt fully engaged with the car and in the driving experience. With my TT, not so -- even though it's fast as hell and a total beast. It just doesn't provide me with that same level of driving enjoyment. So I'll be trading in my TT and have an order on a manual GTS, June build, hopefully late June/ early July delivery. At the end of the day, it's a personal decision -- there's no right or wrong, better or worse. Only different.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:07 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I mostly use the paddles, but if I'm in traffic or tired or just in the mood for doing a bit less, I stick it in auto and let the psychic co-pilot that is PDK do its thing. For me the 'engagement' is telling the car what gear to be in. I couldn't care less whether that's via stick and pedal or a paddle, the effect is the same (except it's faster and more fuel efficient with the paddle). And I agree with whoever said the stick in the 991 is too high set to be usable with one's shoulder in the ergonomically correct position.

But this is all personal preference. If you drove the PDK and didn't like it then don't for goodness' sake buy a car that has it. Get a stick-shift GTS before they get taken off the shelves forever (they're more fun than turbos anyway)
Old 05-06-2015, 05:31 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in my early 30's and as I've said before always get excited by new technology and when I heard about the PDK I was excited to try it since I heard it was supposed to have the convenience of an automatic with the shifting excitement of a manual. Also, the salesman told me "it's not an automatic, it's a dual clutch".

Just like you did I tried it an auto to start then tried the paddles in every mode and just didn't find the paddles rewarding and didn't enjoy it at all. I really don't care about shaving fractional seconds off 0-60 if the trade off is not enjoying driving the car.

So you def did the right thing with the manual GTS

Wow eg991, thanks for "weighing in quickly". That post is sort of a game changer for me, or might just be the straw that breaks the camels back. I suspect I would be in exactly your shoes if I were to get the Turbo which is why I posted the question. I also have a manual GTS on order and at this point I'm pretty sure I have made the right choice. Of course, I didn't get the benefit of your little TT experiment!

I'm sure there are at least a few of you who have seen the Getawayer Porsche reviews on youtube? I love that guys reviews because I feel like he tests the cars and talks about them the way I would. Anyway, he just about cries with joy while driving a manual GTS. The thing is, he also is giddy while driving the Turbo S, but at the very end, even after having clearly enjoyed the Turbo S he says something like "If you think the Turbo is the most fun you can have in a Porsche, then I challenge you to drive a manual 4S and see if you still choose the Turbo!" Watching him drive the manual GTS is a good visual representation of the difference between the two that I guess I'm trying to put into words.

Like eg991 put it, there are no right or wrongs here, just personal decisions. I guess I'll just have to get over the fact that my manual GTS is going to be soooo slow! Haha!
Old 05-07-2015, 12:30 AM
Leica 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I find myself shifting up and down somewhat unnecessarily with the PDK gearbox in my 991 TTS.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:09 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Some guys just get a kick out of shifting. Lots of them shift unnecessarily all the time, PDK or otherwise. Three minutes in, watch this guy. (And for all the shifting, the shoulder never moves.)
Old 05-07-2015, 07:36 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,563 Likes on 1,020 Posts

If you own a PDK, what percentage of the time would you estimate are you driving the car in manual mode vs. full auto mode?
My current DD is a DSG. My first 'automatic'. Ever. My incoming PDK 991 will be my 3-season DD.

I am in manual mode 90% of the time. That will not change with the 991.

Quick Reply: PDK vs 7MT