Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK vs 7MT

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 06:51 PM
Bishop200
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing that you might be finding different is that the brake and clutch on a 991 are hanging pedals, whereas a 993 has floor hinged pedals. I would imagine that would take quite an adjustment. Just a thought.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:07 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

Freeman - I'm quite sure that you'll end up adapting just fine.

And a big, fat, hearty CONGRATULATIONS! Your car is absolutely stunning.

You've probably posted the build-spec elsewhere, but I'm going to be lazy and ask if you opted for Sport PASM. Just curious about the ride height I'm viewing.

Enjoy the new car honeymoon. Think of the shifting as getting acquainted.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:08 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Bishop200-

You are absolutely correct!!!!!! I have never driven a hanging-pedaled Porsche. That is it!!!!! Thank you! Intelligence and observation trumps all. I have a lot to learn about the new configuration after owning 5 Porsches whose pedals come from the floor. The problem is mine!!! Thank you. You the man!
Old 05-08-2015, 08:10 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,395 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Fuzzy, that appears to be standard ride height.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:17 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,395 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
You are absolutely correct!!!!!! I have never driven a hanging-pedaled Porsche. That is it!!!!! Thank you! Intelligence and observation trumps all. I have a lot to learn about the new configuration after owning 5 Porsches whose pedals come from the floor. The problem is mine!!! Thank you. You the man!
I had a lot of seat time in a 993 series 911. I'd describe the clutch motion as more of a leg and foot.

With 997s 987s and now the 991, it's more of a toe flex for me. Heel on the floor. Point and flex toe. Very smooth.

*Disclaimer, I wear size 16 shoes.

**When I bowl, I ask for their largest shoes. Regardless if too big. I like to impress the ladies.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:47 PM
coxswain
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
*Disclaimer, I wear size 16 shoes.

**When I bowl, I ask for their largest shoes. Regardless if too big. I like to impress the ladies.

Haha, that's funny. Yes, many ladies would infer a man's tool size from his foot size. They are usually proportional.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:51 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Fuzzy, that appears to be standard ride height.
Yeah Lex, that's what I was thinking.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:15 PM
Bishop200
Instructor

You are most welcome, freeman. I am glad that this answered the question I learned to drive on a Beetle and hated those floor hinged pedals. Hanging pedals are much safer.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:10 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

This was one of the changes in the 993 -> 996 transition that you don't hear much about. I would probably have bought a 993 back in the day if I could stand the floor-hinged clutch pedal. I felt exactly the same during my test drive as you do now.

The way they're doing it now is unquestionably better, and you'll definitely get used to it in time.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:18 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

It was not done because its better. Floor mounting is easier to make rigid, and improves control by following the natural arc of the ankle. Consider the accelerator. On cars where it pivots from the floor its naturally smooth because it matches the arc of the ankle. But on cars where it pivots from above, as you press down it moves the wrong way so the pedal has to slide across the bottom of the foot as the arcs go in opposite directions.

This is a real drawback when precision is called for, as with throttle. (And brake. Clutch? Too menial to matter!) Which is probably why Porsche still uses an accelerator that pivots from the floor. Because it is better. Which nobody ever mentions feels funny. Even though lots of other cars use the awful pivot from above design. Which Porsche caved in to- not because its better, but because its familiar.

Last edited by chuck911; 06-25-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:27 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
It was not done because it's better...

Old 05-09-2015, 05:49 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Floor mounting is easier to make rigid,
I would estimate that it has been about 40 years since floor pans were more rigid than firewalls. The latter is what supports the pedal assembly for these modern cars that inhale so vociferously.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:50 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It was not done because its better. Floor mounting is easier to make rigid, and improves control by following the natural arc of the ankle. Consider the accelerator. On cars where it pivots from the floor its naturally smooth because it matches the arc of the ankle. But on cars where it pivots from above, as you press down it moves the wrong way so the pedal has to slide across the bottom of the foot as the arcs go in opposite directions.

This is a real drawback when precision is called for, as with throttle. (And brake. Clutch? Too menial to matter!) Which is probably why Porsche still uses an accelerator that pivots from the floor. Because it is better. Which nobody ever mentions feels funny. Even though lots of other cars use the awful pivot from above design. Which Porsche caved in to- not because its better, but because its familiar.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:43 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks, but its not even my idea. The arcs and ergonomics, okay- though its hard to take credit for something so self-evident. But the fact that they did this for marketing reasons- not to make driving better, but for production and to make the car feel more familiar to a wider market- comes from a comment from way back when this was first introduced.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:47 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Rzani
Well gentlemen, yesterday I had the fortune to finally be able to test drive a PDK properly. I drove a Targa GTS for a good 30 minutes on some very nice canyon roads and a turbo s for a shorter period. I will say this, I am much more impressed with the PDK than I was. It seems adding more power to the mix makes the PDK less boring and the launch control is out of this world fun. I would still prefer the 7MT, but I am now at a point where I could go auto and not feel as though I am compromising my enjoyment too much.

On another note. This was the first time I have ever driven a turbo Porsche. After all the videos and reading I have done about that car you would think I would have a fairly good idea about it's power....and you would be wrong. Holy **** that car is like a rocket on wheels!!! I was blown away and am not sure if they should even be making that monster! So now I have really jacked myself up. I have a gorgeous manual Targa GTS on order (that I have to wait 5 months for!) and no less than 7 turbos within striking distance of where I am sitting right now just waiting for me to take them home. I have never been good at delayed gratification. The right choice is simple. They won't be making the NA Targa GTS for very much longer and I can always get a turbo in a few years if I still want one, but that logic is not helping me at the moment.
Hi Rzani. Where are you in 'central California' where the dealer has 7 tt in stock and where they let you test drive a Targa GTS for 30 minutes including using LC?
I am in the Pismo Beach area and am wondering if there is a large local dealer previously unknown to me.
Jim

Quick Reply: PDK vs 7MT