Sponsored by:

Turbo s or gts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 11:04 AM
jbdmd
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
For TTS money I would rather enter the exotic market. Like a used 458 or McLaren. I don't see a Porsche segment beyond the GT cars.
Just sold my 458 a couple months ago and picked up a 991 Turbo S a couple days ago. Truly enjoyed the 458 but it ended up being an A to A car instead of an A to B car. The amount of attention alone was a downer for me. The Turbo does everything my 458 does and probably a bit better for a better price point and is far more forgettable...in a good way.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:14 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I like what you did with your truck!
Old 04-05-2015, 03:37 PM
Bucaro
Advanced

Hearing all the comments about the poor quality sound of the turbo exhaust makes me worry about the upcoming all-turbo Carreras... That's why I'm getting a 2016 GTS...
Old 04-05-2015, 04:56 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I test drove back to back a 991 911 S coupe with pse and a turbo coupe

First we took out the 911 S cps, OMG the pse and liveliness of rwd coup was too good . I have PSE in My 981 S but i liked the PSe a little better in the 911s cpe.
The car felt alive and fun to drive, could it have more torque, of course yes but it was more than enough

Next we drive the turbo Cpe, i was warned not to gun it due to so much torque but the whole drive felt like driving an expensive Gt, the awd and extra weight probably cause it too be less lively /tossable but the biggest disappointment was the sound.

The turbos make some noise but no where as much as fun as the PSE. I guess turbos cannot be fitted with pSE
The torque in turbo is nice but I never in the test drives of the Turbo felt excited IMHO
Old 04-05-2015, 06:00 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

TTS Sound can be fix very easily with good after market parts. TTS look better, handling better, much faster but only you will make that decision. I do agree 991 Targa GTS is a beautiful car, we will never use all the power/torque on public roads in either cars. Good luck searching, both cars are great in their own ways.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:14 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jbdmd
Just sold my 458 a couple months ago and picked up a 991 Turbo S a couple days ago. Truly enjoyed the 458 but it ended up being an A to A car instead of an A to B car. The amount of attention alone was a downer for me. The Turbo does everything my 458 does and probably a bit better for a better price point and is far more forgettable...in a good way.
For A to B a McLaren would be better than both. I could never see myself giving up a 458 for a TT. I would keep the 458 and get a M5 for the commute.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:43 PM
jbdmd
Pro

For A to B a McLaren would be better than both. I could never see myself giving up a 458 for a TT. I would keep the 458 and get a M5 for the commute.
The wide entry sill and outlandish styling of the McLaren take it out of the running as a DD for me. It has a much more racy cockpit than the 458 aswell. At the end of the day the Turbo S is brutally fast, everyday usable, elegantly styled and sounds fantasic at baseline and high rpm. I love that in a pinch I can shoe horn a person or two in the back seats, perform a lightening quick lane change, park it at work without raising a fuss and flog the ever living 'ish out of it on a track day with the fellas. It is the ultimate single quiver monster. On top of all that I don't see them all that often so I get to feel special/unique. win, win, winning.

I used to have an M5 and a 360 Spider. It was fun for a time but I had that "if you had to chose ONE car" discussion with myself recently and time and time again I came back to the 991 Turbo S. Glad I did.

Last edited by jbdmd; 04-05-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:26 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

The wide entry sill and outlandish styling of the McLaren take it out of the running as a DD for me. It has a much more racy cockpit than the 458 aswell. At the end of the day the Turbo S is brutally fast, everyday usable, elegantly styled and sounds fantasic at baseline and high rpm. I love that in a pinch I can shoe horn a person or two in the back seats, perform a lighting quick lane change, park it at work without raising a fuss and flog the ever living 'ish out of it on a track day with the fellas. It is the ultimate single quiver monster. On top of all that I don't see them all that often so I get to feel special/unique. win, win, winning. I used to have an M5 and a 360 Spider. It was fun for a time but I had that "if you had to chose ONE car" discussion with myself recently and time and time again I came back to the 991 Turbo S. Glad I did.
There's nothing wrong with personal preference. That is what makes everyone unique. The ability to choose based on our own needs ultimately becomes the deciding factor. There truly is no wrong choice here. Just conveying what I would choose based on my individual circumstance. Not taking anything away from your choice. I'm sure you contemplated it just fine. Good luck with the new car!
Old 04-05-2015, 08:37 PM
chuck911
Race Car

The wide entry sill and outlandish styling of the McLaren take it out of the running as a DD for me. It has a much more racy cockpit than the 458 aswell. At the end of the day the Turbo S is brutally fast, everyday usable, elegantly styled and sounds fantasic at baseline and high rpm. I love that in a pinch I can shoe horn a person or two in the back seats, perform a lightening quick lane change, park it at work without raising a fuss and flog the ever living 'ish out of it on a track day with the fellas. It is the ultimate single quiver monster. On top of all that I don't see them all that often so I get to feel special/unique. win, win, winning.

I used to have an M5 and a 360 Spider. It was fun for a time but I had that "if you had to chose ONE car" discussion with myself recently and time and time again I came back to the 991 Turbo S. Glad I did.
Not to mention the money saved on the Turbo will buy you a nice selection of cars for whatever other driving you might want. For that matter you can get a Turbo S and a 918 for the price of a P1. For all you budget-minded super car shoppers out there….
Old 04-05-2015, 08:44 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Both are great cars. I planned on buying a TTS and got a GTS instead. I drove both and enjoyed the overall feeling and sound of the GTS. Its a little lighter and felt that way after driving both. No denying that a TTS will eat GTS for lunch on a long straight section of the track. For 99% if my driving the GTS is more than enough for me. Can't go wrong with either one.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:47 PM
jbdmd
Pro

There's nothing wrong with personal preference. That is what makes everyone unique. The ability to choose based on our own needs ultimately becomes the deciding factor. There truly is no wrong choice here. Just conveying what I would choose based on my individual circumstance. Not taking anything away from your choice. I'm sure you contemplated it just fine. Good luck with the new car!
yes yes. personal preference is what makes the world go round. so many cars...so little time

Originally Posted by chuck911
Not to mention the money saved on the Turbo will buy you a nice selection of cars for whatever other driving you might want. For that matter you can get a Turbo S and a 918 for the price of a P1. For all you budget-minded super car shoppers out there….
saving a little doe never hurts
Old 04-05-2015, 08:56 PM
jbdmd
Pro

Originally Posted by Holli82
Both are great cars. I planned on buying a TTS and got a GTS instead. I drove both and enjoyed the overall feeling and sound of the GTS. Its a little lighter and felt that way after driving both. No denying that a TTS will eat GTS for lunch on a long straight section of the track. For 99% if my driving the GTS is more than enough for me. Can't go wrong with either one.
I'm sure given the right back story and situation we could all chose any of the above and fall head over heals. Exceptional cars. I'm glad to be back. As with you, if straighline speed were the only criteria I'd have gotten a blown supra and called it a day...

Last edited by jbdmd; 04-05-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:06 PM
chuck911
Race Car

To rephrase what we said back in the day, I wouldn't kick it out of the garage for dripping oil!

Quick Reply: Turbo s or gts?