Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo s or gts?

seriously, which would you guys pick?

Turbo, turbo s or GTS?
Old 03-25-2015, 09:22 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

I went in intending to buy a Turbo (non-S) to replace my existing Turbo. Wanted to test drive a car with PDK as I'd never even considered it before. They let me drive a C2S with powerkit and PDK because "we don't want to put any miles on a Turbo." It cost them a Turbo sale, because I loved the car and bought a GTS C2 instead.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:06 AM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 997.2 Turbo S PTS Azzuro Blue Metallic I have decide to trade in on a Targa GTS Carmine Red. I loved my Turbo S except it sounds nothing like it runs. Most boring Rocketship I have ever driven. Considered putting a Europipe on the car till I saw the Targa GTS can't wait for this fall to get here.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:21 AM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Discussed a bit before in another thread.

I came pretty close to ordering a non-S Turbo,....test drove a couple, had options all nailed down. The turbos are great looking cars and very quick, but outside of the velocity aspect just didn't tick all the right buttons for the price point. I love NA engined cars with great sound, instant throttle response, and higher revving capabilities. If you value all out speed above anything else, the Turbo is for you though.

As some others have posted it is a rocketship, but a bit on the boring side as far as aural pleasures are concerned.

If they were both given to me, I'd probably be nuts not to keep the Turbo S, but for my dime the GTS was just more of what I wanted for the price I wanted to pay.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:25 AM
kenysl
7th Gear

That's what I think too, GTS sounded alot better....not like we need that kind of speed on a daily basis!
Old 03-26-2015, 07:27 AM
shandyman5
Advanced

GTS because manual
Old 03-26-2015, 08:02 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Discussed a bit before in another thread.

I came pretty close to ordering a non-S Turbo,....test drove a couple, had options all nailed down. The turbos are great looking cars and very quick, but outside of the velocity aspect just didn't tick all the right buttons for the price point. I love NA engined cars with great sound, instant throttle response, and higher revving capabilities. If you value all out speed above anything else, the Turbo is for you though.
Here's the great thing for me; when I got my Turbo, it was brutally powerful (450/467) and a Carrera was in the low 300s, maybe 325/285 or so. So you had to choose between the great sounds of a flat-six that could rev instantly, or the brutal acceleration of a Turbo. But now, with the GTS at 430/325, I can have my cake and eat it too. Sure, the 991TT is a lot quicker than my car; sure the 150 lb-fts difference between my old Turbo and a new GTS is a lot and will be missed in certain situations.

But in the end, Porsche calls the GTS a 3.8 second, 190 mph car; they called my Turbo a 4.0 second, 194mph car, iirc. (magazines improved on that by abusing the powertrain more.) So I am able to have the 7800 redline (vs 6500 on mine), the ability to blip the throttle (Turbos don't blip), and the aural pleasures of that motor, without giving up anything in the way of useable speed. And I've reached a point where, believe it or not, I'm still not tired of this level of quickness, so getting more of it isn't as important to me as those other qualities.

If they were priced the same, and I'd never owned a Turbo? I'd almost certainly buy the Turbo just because... well, every man should own a Porsche Turbo at some point if it's not a hardship.

But having owned one already, if they were priced the same I can honestly say it would be the GTS for me this time.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:34 AM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been on the fence about this a little while as well. The 2 things I would (and will eventually) change on my car are pdk and lack of leather interior. Having previously owned a 2012 m3 as the last of the NA engines and seeing the new one (faster, more fuel efficient, updated interior, better options - albeit with an exhaust that sounds like total ****e!) I've told myself to wait and see about the facelift turbo before committing to GTS.

For me $100k + for a car is a lot of money and after seeing the steep depreciation on my current 991S, I would hate to buy a GTS and then 3-6 months later the facelift comes out and I'm like fuuuuuuuuuudge if I would've just waited a few months! Risk is the GTS will be not available to order - that is minimized though with the 2016 (even if abbreviated) model year.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:14 PM
porsche42
Racer

I went from a 13 C2S (7MT) to a 15 TTS. I love it being a GT car overall I guess. Like it being brutally fast and having the PDK, still learning how to drive the PDK. Only have 300 miles on my car so far, was a brutal winter here in the NE. I understand the sound issue and NA engines, but I like the speed better and the TTS is quick. With the Burmester cranked up and just cruising along. Perfect.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:05 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche42
I went from a 13 C2S (7MT) to a 15 TTS. I love it being a GT car overall I guess. Like it being brutally fast and having the PDK, still learning how to drive the PDK. Only have 300 miles on my car so far, was a brutal winter here in the NE. I understand the sound issue and NA engines, but I like the speed better and the TTS is quick. With the Burmester cranked up and just cruising along. Perfect.
AWD and 560 HP, it was a no brainer for me!
Old 03-26-2015, 01:24 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,106 Likes on 665 Posts

I went with the TT. It is pretty quiet, but in an awesome way.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:33 PM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kenysl
seriously, which would you guys pick?

Turbo, turbo s or GTS?
I had a similar dilemma recently, the first-est of first-world problems! . Short story: wanted a GTS, ended up deciding on an MT Targa GTS, dealer I’d been working with couldn’t get one soon, offered me a great deal on a new turbo, close in price to the Targa GTS.

I ended up going with the Targa. I looked at several turbos, test drove a couple but realized that even if the really, really nice turbo s that was perfectly optioned was the same price as the Targa GTS, I’d pick the Targa GTS.

The manual transmission, Targa design and possible last-of-breed engine were the things that did it for me. The turbo was great but not enough of a change to justify switching from my current 991 C2. (Somehow, I’ve justified that the Targa GTS *is* enough of a difference!)

The Targa is the car I admired as a ten-year-old and, thirty years later, it’s time to get one. According to the build schedule, mine (http://www.porsche-code.com/PGLTDP15) should be exiting the factory today!
Old 03-26-2015, 02:42 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by kenysl
seriously, which would you guys pick? Turbo, turbo s or GTS?
Turbo S . Not even close.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:53 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by FergusH
I had a similar dilemma recently, the first-est of first-world problems! . Short story: wanted a GTS, ended up deciding on an MT Targa GTS, dealer I’d been working with couldn’t get one soon, offered me a great deal on a new turbo, close in price to the Targa GTS. I ended up going with the Targa. I looked at several turbos, test drove a couple but realized that even if the really, really nice turbo s that was perfectly optioned was the same price as the Targa GTS, I’d pick the Targa GTS. The manual transmission, Targa design and possible last-of-breed engine were the things that did it for me. The turbo was great but not enough of a change to justify switching from my current 991 C2. (Somehow, I’ve justified that the Targa GTS *is* enough of a difference!) The Targa is the car I admired as a ten-year-old and, thirty years later, it’s time to get one. According to the build schedule, mine (http://www.porsche-code.com/PGLTDP15) should be exiting the factory today!
Beautiful targa
Old 03-26-2015, 04:47 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Turbo S, in GT Silver over Espresso/Cognac. When can I expect delivery?

Quick Reply: Turbo s or gts?