991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 S or a 15 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015 | 06:27 PM
cutters68
3rd Gear

I always wanted a Vette. I bought an '08 Z06 and the power/sound was intoxicating. Too much power really. Is that possible? I think so. The car felt huge especially from drivers seat forward. The steering wheel also felt too large (truckish). The car with all its power didn't communicate with me. I was disappointed that the car I wanted all my life wasn't what I had imagined it would be. Disenchanted after a year of ownership I began looking at used 911's. I always loved them, but really didn't think I could afford one. I found an '05 C2S with less than 10K miles and made an even trade. Of course power was down considerably from the Z06, but everything else was exactly as I hoped/imagined it should be. I traded the '05 for a '13 C2S two years ago and I love the progression of the 911. Maybe a drive in the new C7 would change my perspective on Corvettes, but for now Porsche remains the benchmark for me. I also think the 991 is less of a look at me car than the new C7's and I like that.
Old 03-18-2015 | 11:19 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Go and ask the same question on the Corvette Z06 forums.

Then buy the car (either the 911 or Z06) based on the least amount of douche-bag comments you get from the respective forums.

Can't go wrong either way.

Good luck and enjoy search, and the ultimate decision even more.
Old 03-19-2015 | 01:12 AM
coxswain
Racer

Originally Posted by coxswain

This picture is hilarious.
I'd choose the mature Rubenesque one. I'm not into skinny-minnies.

Originally Posted by STG991
Good, that way we won't be fighting who gets what!

I don't like the long socks and sneakers on that skinny girl. They look crude and churlish. I prefer to see my women in proper heels.

(As for the cars, I'd choose 991S. I've sat on my friend's Vette; and it felt that the engine is the car, and the car is the engine; I did not feel the harmony of the engine, steering, suspension, chassis that you can enjoy in 991s.
But choose whatever your heart is in. )
Old 03-19-2015 | 02:11 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by cutters68
I always wanted a Vette. I bought an '08 Z06 and the power/sound was intoxicating. Too much power really. Is that possible? I think so. The car felt huge especially from drivers seat forward. The steering wheel also felt too large (truckish). The car with all its power didn't communicate with me. I was disappointed that the car I wanted all my life wasn't what I had imagined it would be. Disenchanted after a year of ownership I began looking at used 911's. I always loved them, but really didn't think I could afford one. I found an '05 C2S with less than 10K miles and made an even trade. Of course power was down considerably from the Z06, but everything else was exactly as I hoped/imagined it should be. I traded the '05 for a '13 C2S two years ago and I love the progression of the 911. Maybe a drive in the new C7 would change my perspective on Corvettes, but for now Porsche remains the benchmark for me. I also think the 991 is less of a look at me car than the new C7's and I like that.
A pretty darn good first post.

One reason Porsches seem down on power is that the sense of communication you mentioned, of "everything else exactly as I hoped/imagined it would be" comes in large part from a car in which all its various parts work in harmonious balance. One sure way of upsetting that balance is to pump up the power beyond where the suspension, etc can handle it. That's why every Porsche, as power increases so do brakes, suspension, aerodynamics, on and on. With the 911 in particular they've been refining that balance for so long now its not even a benchmark any more. In a lot of ways, its the bench.
Old 03-19-2015 | 04:27 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

you need to test drive both, but in all honesty, the 991S with PDK is the better car to have today and tomorrow.
The 991S is just so much easier to live with day to day.

The Z06 is indeed an amusement park, i will give it that. it is a thrill ride.
But i dont always want a thrill ride when im going somewhere in my car....

The Z06 is more like a mistress that you beat on once and while for kicks. Not something you would want all the time. Besides, aren't you required to have a big moustache to own one?
Old 03-19-2015 | 10:16 AM
Dans911C
Track Day

Well I can speak from experience on this subject, my local Chevy dealer was expecting an allocation of at least 4 2015 Z06s and I traded in my 2007 Z06 last spring to get top dollar and get 2nd in line! I loved my Z06 and heck yea it was fast, but I always have liked the finer things in life as well. I have looked at used Ferraris but didn't want to deal with the maintenance since there is not an authorized service center within thousands of miles (I live in ND).

I just happened to walk into the local Porsche dealer one day and start visiting with the GM and he blew me away! I had always liked 911s as well, and since a new 991 was in the same price range as a new Z06 (and after test driving one I was hooked) I decided to have him find one for me!

I ended up getting a 991 Carrera Black on Black, and have not regretted it for an instant! I can tell you one thing; when I am driving this car it feels like I am part of it and it was made to be part of the road! It's like no other car experience I have had before and believe me I have had plenty!

But if I were to be completely honest, I too would like to have both in my stable someday, just sayin.
Old 03-19-2015 | 10:38 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Dans911c,

Did you ever get a chance to drive the 15 Z06?
C6 Z was not in same leauge as 991.

I drove the 14 Stingrays at Cal Speedway, at a GM Event, and they were fantastic on Autocross and on the Main Track.
If I did not already have the 991, I would have got on waitlist for a C7 Z.
It would probably rattle less than a 991 (so the build quality argument is not really valid).
My main complaint remains the C7 styling, I am turned off everytime I see one on the road.

I do love the 991, just have to give fair credit to the C7 quality, performance and value. I think painting all the black vents and rear valance would make it look decent. Plus a new front bumper as soon as the aftermarket offers one.

Maybey someone will come out with a full kit car type rebody, for the C7, to fix the styling concerns.
Old 03-19-2015 | 11:13 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

I don't like the long socks and sneakers on that skinny girl. They look crude and churlish. I prefer to see my women in proper heels.
I agree. They both look like trash to me. I wouldn't buy either car based on either of those hos.
Old 03-19-2015 | 12:17 PM
Dans911C
Track Day

Originally Posted by lunarx
Dans911c,

Did you ever get a chance to drive the 15 Z06?
C6 Z was not in same leauge as 991.

I drove the 14 Stingrays at Cal Speedway, at a GM Event, and they were fantastic on Autocross and on the Main Track.
If I did not already have the 991, I would have got on waitlist for a C7 Z.
It would probably rattle less than a 991 (so the build quality argument is not really valid).
My main complaint remains the C7 styling, I am turned off everytime I see one on the road.

I do love the 991, just have to give fair credit to the C7 quality, performance and value. I think painting all the black vents and rear valance would make it look decent. Plus a new front bumper as soon as the aftermarket offers one.

Maybey someone will come out with a full kit car type rebody, for the C7, to fix the styling concerns.
Unfortunately no I did not, I decided not to wait. Another one of the reasons I decided to buy the 991 is that there are a lot of Corvettes around here especially C7s and I don't think the Z06 looks that much different from the Stingray.

I like having something different, at least for now.
Old 03-19-2015 | 12:33 PM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

I've wanted a lot of cars, but I never drove them.

Has the OP ever driven a 991 for any length of time? Has he driven a C7 or a C7z06?

It seems pointless to consider all the other arguments and comments unless and until he knows what it's like to spend some time in each one. Unless, of course, any of the social aspects of one brand or the other resonates with him in which case the decision has been made.

Go drive them! (Then post a moderately subjective review!)
Old 03-19-2015 | 07:19 PM
nova996
Rennlist Member

She's supposed to represent the Porsche. Proper heels would have been a $3900 option. The long socks were only $670.

Last edited by nova996; 03-19-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-19-2015 | 09:45 PM
Leverageconsult
Advanced

Default Thank you.

All of your comments and no wise *** ones(plus plus). Is greatly appreciated. Thank you guys so much. I did test drive a 13 991 S with PDK. Definitely an amazing car. I am not sure where I could test drive a z06. It seems no one has any. The 991 is so elegant and almost a piece of art. The reason I bring up the Z is due to not so much the HP, but the standard features for the base package and the capability. Will I have regrets if I buy the Z? Probably solely on always being mesmerized by the lines of the 991. Also my buddy who owns an exotic dealership in South Florida said the smart move is a 12-13 991S since the depreciation would be approximately 7-8,000 per year. Then I would sell it 1-2 years and start over. We don't know the vetted depreciation yet. Initially the C7 went up due to the shortage of the Z51 and the MSRP increase. Any one who owns a 991 S live here in S Florida?
Old 03-19-2015 | 10:17 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Leverageconsult
All of your comments and no wise *** ones(plus plus). Is greatly appreciated. Thank you guys so much. I did test drive a 13 991 S with PDK. Definitely an amazing car. I am not sure where I could test drive a z06. It seems no one has any. The 991 is so elegant and almost a piece of art. The reason I bring up the Z is due to not so much the HP, but the standard features for the base package and the capability. Will I have regrets if I buy the Z? Probably solely on always being mesmerized by the lines of the 991. Also my buddy who owns an exotic dealership in South Florida said the smart move is a 12-13 991S since the depreciation would be approximately 7-8,000 per year. Then I would sell it 1-2 years and start over. We don't know the vetted depreciation yet. Initially the C7 went up due to the shortage of the Z51 and the MSRP increase. Any one who owns a 991 S live here in S Florida?
Not sure if it's still available, but MJBird993 has/had a beautiful Amaranth Red for sale. T
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2015 | 11:41 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

West Palm Beach
Old 03-20-2015 | 09:40 PM
chuck911
Race Car

The 991 does not seem to be like many 911's of the past, where the first year or three were used to sort out little problems. Right from the first there really were no problems. So yes you could save on an early model. The 911 is so good for so long its far from necessary to buy new. Which come to think of it, is another good reason to not regret buying one.

Quick Reply: 991 S or a 15 Z06