Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 S or a 15 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015 | 01:30 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by beaverlake
I've wanted a lot of cars, but I never drove them.

Has the OP ever driven a 991 for any length of time? Has he driven a C7 or a C7z06?

It seems pointless to consider all the other arguments and comments unless and until he knows what it's like to spend some time in each one. Unless, of course, any of the social aspects of one brand or the other resonates with him in which case the decision has been made.

Go drive them! (Then post a moderately subjective review!)
Finally a voice of reason. Postings like the one by the OP smells foul... of trolling... either car is a $90-100K purchase decision. Find these cars and drive them extensively. If you don't know which one you want after doing that these forums are hardly going to help you make a decision. Sheesh.
Old 03-30-2015 | 02:28 AM
hoppah
Advanced

Originally Posted by lunarx
+991.1111111

Best advice I have heard on here.
Its not just Vette guys, GT3 guys are just as agressive as are GTR and all those cars that were purchased strictly for their performance stats.
Those drivers feel compelled to fight to the death to defend their cars superiority.
It's really about the size of the group in question. The further down-market you go, the bigger the group. The bigger the group, the more a-holes there will be in it.

H.
Old 03-30-2015 | 10:51 AM
charliec
Track Day

Having owned a 2006 C6 and 2008 Z06 and now a 2013 911 2s, I can offer a couple of comments. The Corvettes were both great and near trouble free cars and both had cheap plastic laden interiors, The amount of engine heat coming through the floorboards and console was incredible. I installed an aftermarket insulation kit to help, but down here in a Florida summer, it was too much. The Z was swapped for the 911, a better made fit and finish car and of course, no heat problem up front. The Z06 was brutal in the first three gears flat out. You really had to hang on tight. I miss that aspect of it but not the interior and the valve guides wearing out by 10000 miles. Saturday I test drove a C7 Z06 with a 8 speed automatic (not a dual clutch PDK type). All I can say is, wow. It was an amazing car with a top grade interior, perfect fit and finish, ceramic rotors etc and raw power that never stops. All for about 103K. I want or wanted, I'm not sure now, a turbo s. New almost 200k, or a 4k mile 2014 for 169k. Power wise they are about the same, but you feel it more in the Z06 with it's nearly wide open exhaust system and you get a 5 year 100k warranty on the drivetrain. Is it a Porsche? No, like a Seiko is not a Rolex. Would I buy it? It still has that lousy engine heat to deal with, so I am not sure.
Old 03-30-2015 | 12:11 PM
hoppah
Advanced

Originally Posted by charliec
Having owned a 2006 C6 and 2008 Z06 and now a 2013 911 2s, I can offer a couple of comments. The Corvettes were both great and near trouble free cars and both had cheap plastic laden interiors, The amount of engine heat coming through the floorboards and console was incredible. I installed an aftermarket insulation kit to help, but down here in a Florida summer, it was too much. The Z was swapped for the 911, a better made fit and finish car and of course, no heat problem up front. The Z06 was brutal in the first three gears flat out. You really had to hang on tight. I miss that aspect of it but not the interior and the valve guides wearing out by 10000 miles. Saturday I test drove a C7 Z06 with a 8 speed automatic (not a dual clutch PDK type). All I can say is, wow. It was an amazing car with a top grade interior, perfect fit and finish, ceramic rotors etc and raw power that never stops. All for about 103K. I want or wanted, I'm not sure now, a turbo s. New almost 200k, or a 4k mile 2014 for 169k. Power wise they are about the same, but you feel it more in the Z06 with it's nearly wide open exhaust system and you get a 5 year 100k warranty on the drivetrain. Is it a Porsche? No, like a Seiko is not a Rolex. Would I buy it? It still has that lousy engine heat to deal with, so I am not sure.

You aren't kidding about the heat. The tunnel was always very warm, and everything you put in the console glovebox got nice and hot. On long drives it was really pronounced. For me that's one of the most remarkable things about the 911 - all the cabin heat I took for granted in front-engine cars just isn't there.

H.
Old 03-30-2015 | 12:16 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

^ Also I am now spoiled by the legroom, allowed by rear engine placement.
Bulky trans tunnels in front engine cars always made for awkward right leg positioning.
Old 03-30-2015 | 04:45 PM
popspin
Track Day

I was back and forth between several choices, C4S, Z06 and F Type R.
It may seem silly but my wife visited each dealership so I could get her opinion on the looks of each car. Her decision was that the C4S was the car with looks that suited me best. There are also Vette's everywhere; too many C7's already on the road to feel special.
Then there time driving each but the Vette was I drove was just a normal C7. Even the normal C7 was very impressive performance. Yet it left me feeling somewhat disconnected from the road even while providing top level performance for the money.
By the way, the F Type R is smile inducing!!
Getting in the Porsche was a different experience than the Vette. While the Vette's interior is much improved I really didn't want to spend $100,000+ and get some same interior pieces as in much cheaper Chevy's. The Porsche interior quality is simply in a different league. And you pay more for that! The car had the connected feel and responsive handling I wanted. A much more sophisticated product that honing a car over 50 years produces.
The Z06 will leave my car in the dust from a stoplight but that's not all this car is about to me.
Still, if I happen to trip over a great Z06 I will get it for our vacation home. Otherwise, no regrets at all in my C4S order.
Popspin
Old 03-30-2015 | 08:23 PM
hoppah
Advanced

You won't be sorry. And indeed you get a lot more attention in the Porsche.

H.
Old 03-30-2015 | 09:58 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Popspin?
Old 03-30-2015 | 10:24 PM
Porsche Jeff
Racer

Originally Posted by trysixty
yup….that says it all!
Old 03-31-2015 | 01:20 AM
hoppah
Advanced

Originally Posted by Porsche Jeff
yup….that says it all!
Having been a member of a number of Corvette clubs and having gone to at least one huge Corvette gathering, in my experience most Corvette owners are old dudes who wanted one their whole lives and could only afford it after they retired. Most of their cars are pristine garage queens and they tool around in them like they're driving vintage Cadillacs.

H.
Old 03-31-2015 | 04:45 AM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by popspin
I was back and forth between several choices, C4S, Z06 and F Type R.
It may seem silly but my wife visited each dealership so I could get her opinion on the looks of each car. Her decision was that the C4S was the car with looks that suited me best. There are also Vette's everywhere; too many C7's already on the road to feel special.
Then there time driving each but the Vette was I drove was just a normal C7. Even the normal C7 was very impressive performance. Yet it left me feeling somewhat disconnected from the road even while providing top level performance for the money.
By the way, the F Type R is smile inducing!!
Getting in the Porsche was a different experience than the Vette. While the Vette's interior is much improved I really didn't want to spend $100,000+ and get some same interior pieces as in much cheaper Chevy's. The Porsche interior quality is simply in a different league. And you pay more for that! The car had the connected feel and responsive handling I wanted. A much more sophisticated product that honing a car over 50 years produces.
The Z06 will leave my car in the dust from a stoplight but that's not all this car is about to me.
Still, if I happen to trip over a great Z06 I will get it for our vacation home. Otherwise, no regrets at all in my C4S order.
Popspin
A little off topic - but why not an F-type R? My boss has one and if I was a coupe guy I'd be very interested . . . Just curious (PM if you don't want the thread to drift...)
Old 04-01-2015 | 12:09 PM
hoppah
Advanced

Originally Posted by beaverlake
A little off topic - but why not an F-type R? My boss has one and if I was a coupe guy I'd be very interested . . . Just curious (PM if you don't want the thread to drift...)
That thing was on my short list after seeing one on the road (they're really beautiful) but got knocked right back off after seeing the curb weight. I'm just super allergic to two-ton "sports cars".

H.
Old 04-02-2015 | 11:33 AM
Sierramadre
Intermediate

It's not a Z06 but I traded this 2014 Vette for my 991 4. It was a fine car and crazy fast, but I'm happy with my choice.
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2015 | 11:49 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sierramadre
It's not a Z06 but I traded this 2014 Vette for my 991 4. It was a fine car and crazy fast, but I'm happy with my choice.

You should add a pic of your 991.
Old 04-02-2015 | 12:06 PM
Sierramadre
Intermediate

Here you go
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 991 S or a 15 Z06