Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 S or a 15 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 02:22 PM
EatAtJoes
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're considering a corvette, why not also consider a Cayman GTS, which you can get brand new for 85k with options. Also you didn't say if it was for daily driving or as a part time weekend type car.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:47 PM
ttlwh
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegee
I had a zo6. corner to corner i went as fast as it could go. But it was not very well built and after a year lots of rattles showed up, my T-top blew off on the interstate ( big problem), and I hated the run flat tires. Back to the P car.

It is wicked fast. That's about all I can saw about that chevy.

When I ride some roads in North Alabama, my porsche always feels like it is glued in a track, and curvy is what I like to drive. And you cannot, even with some on Porsche's Bungles, argue with design and build quality in concert with drivability.

G
What year Z06? All the C6 and older do not have T-tops.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:02 PM
ttlwh
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Lot of good comments in here for the OP to consider. A few thoughts:
1. I would not base my decision on depreciation factors. For most of us they are fun toys, to be enjoyed. Why buy something you don't really enjoy just because it depreciates less?
2. I sold a 2008 Z06 to buy my 2012 Carrera, with PDK. The more I drive it the more I love it. It is a better built car, and for me tastes a much more fun car to drive. Yes, the Z06 was exhilarating when I took it out to my favorite country road and ran it thru the first three gears, getting up to just under 120. But how often can you do that? I get more pleasure driving the 911 at legal speeds than I ever did nailing the Z06.

It comes down to your tastes. A test drive is good, but you really need to do a hell of a test drive to figure how much you like or don't like a car. A suggestion may be to see if you have any "exotic" car rentals near you where you can actually rent each car for a day - that may really clear it up for you. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:49 PM
Leverageconsult
Advanced

Originally Posted by EatAtJoes
If you're considering a corvette, why not also consider a Cayman GTS, which you can get brand new for 85k with options. Also you didn't say if it was for daily driving or as a part time weekend type car.
I did consider one. But for 85 I rather go with the 12-13 991. Only weekend car.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:37 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by lunarx
I would get a Z06 except for not liking the new styling.
Ditto, I'm still not quite warm to it and the video game instrument panel.

Originally Posted by kaution321
You will find that the 911 is more refined and [has] better build quality
True that, except that Chevy has come a long way in component quality.

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Classier and doesn't carry the stigma of midlife crisis.
Here I gotta disagree. Rarely do you see a late model 911 not being driven by a middle-aged white guy. Just like a Corvette.

I've owned both. Typically, I get a better response from folks on the road in the Chevrolet than in the fancy German car. No one has tried to run me over in a 'vette; can't say that for the 911. Bang for the buck, nothing beats the Corvette, period.

However, look in my garage now, and there's just a Porsche in there, no fiberglass.

That said, I'm now selling it, and if (when) I decide to buy another sports car, odds are that it will be a Corvette. But that's largely a financial move.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:04 PM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Originally Posted by ttlwh
What year Z06? All the C6 and older do not have T-tops.
T-tops went out in 1982. You mean removable targa top, which has only appeared on the C7Z, as they have never had a removable top prior on any Z.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:14 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

We are on the same boat. I always like the 911 but the new C7 is really something. It makes me think twice but down the line, I know that I will still get the 911.

Last edited by ChoyV; 03-24-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:57 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ChoyV
We are on the same boat. I always like the 911 but the new C7 is really something. It make me think twice but down the line, I know that I will still get the 911.
In hindsight I'd go for the c7 too. A Z06 would flat out clobber any Porsche on the ring. Except for the over priced halfbreed 918.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:36 PM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coxswain
This picture is hilarious. I'd choose the mature Rubenesque one. I'm not into skinny-minnies.
0-60 times comparison
4.5 Z06 with mature (obeast) rubenesque
3.2 991C2S with topless barista from foxy lady

NB Ring 1 lap
1hr7m39sec for Z06 , includes off track (woods) pit stop for mature rubenesque

7m09sec for 991, with both hands on steering wheel ( most of the time)
Old 03-23-2015, 11:51 PM
Cbst09
Racer

If I were going with American muscle I would get the Charger Hellcat. 707 HP is a ridiculous amount of power.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:52 AM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbst09
If I were going with American muscle I would get the Charger Hellcat. 707 HP is a ridiculous amount of power.
They stop taking orders for now due to limited supply plus the price is over the MSRP, from what I read. They were caught off-guard and have to ramp-up the productions.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:13 PM
shandyman5
Advanced

LOL at everyone saying the same as I did about the guy who owned a C6Z. He hasn't come in to counter my questions.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:31 PM
hoppah
Advanced

On December 24th, 2014 I traded in my last Z06 for the 991. At that point I had been driving them since 2003, and had had three of them (two C5s and a C6). During that decade I put about 240k miles on Z06 Corvettes.

There is a lot to recommend them. There is no greater bang for the buck. They are reliable. They are pretty cheap to fix. They're generally pretty high-tech. And they are very comfortable on long drives - the big cushy seat that isn't so hot on the racetrack is just right for a 5 hour trip to a client site. On the downside, the development money went into the chassis, engine and other such components. The interior (prior to the C7) was out of the GM parts bin. Every day I got into a car whose dash and console looked pretty much the same as the interior of a pickup truck.

Performance-wise, they're excellent. On paper my C6 Z06 was quicker and faster in pretty much every way than my new 991 C2S. However, there's a paradox at work here that is hard to understand unless you've driven both. The Z06 was way more capable than it felt. That is, when you were driving it it was always a leap of faith to push it to the limit. You had to just *know* that it was going to work. It had a really strange "floating" feeling of the cabin over the wheels when you transitioned that was nerve-wracking and not confidence-inspiring. It took a while, and a lot of practice, to find that edge and then overcome your fear that you were exceeding it. I probably had six months of hard driving before I really felt comfortable thrashing it.

Minutes into the 991 and it's night-and-day opposite. The car feels like it's screwed to the road with lag bolts. You instantly feel like there's nothing you cannot do. Herein lies the paradox: this is far more dangerous. In the 991 I feel like Superman. I am tempted to do things that I intellectually know won't work, because the car gives nary a hint that it's not possible.

The 991 of course is far more refined and well-fit than my Z06es ever were. The interior is very nice, the attention to detail superb, and of course the styling is exquisite. It's rolling artwork.

The Z06's power/weight ratio is intoxicating, beguiling and addictive. The only reason I'm not in a new C7 Z06 right now instead of the 991 is that they refused to honor my "Friends and Family" discount paperwork. An optioned-up C7 Z06 can be just as expensive as a reasonably optioned 991. I wasn't about to pay $15k more than I needed to, so I bought the 991 instead. I don't regret it, the 991 is a lot of fun. But there are times I miss that power. Especially in the C6 Z06 - that 427 smallblock is one of the finest engines any American manufacturer has ever made. It poured out power at seemingly any RPM - it was very versatile. And even at 505HP, I regularly got 34MPG on the highway.

In short I don't think you'll be disappointed with either vehicle, but it's pretty much an apples-oranges comparison.

H.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:53 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shandyman5
LOL at everyone saying the same as I did about the guy who owned a C6Z. He hasn't come in to counter my questions.
and he wont....he is a little troll that is using his mommies computer in her basement
Old 03-24-2015, 03:11 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys, just wanted to reiterate that C6 comparisons don't apply to the C7.
I never wanted a C6 for all the reasons stated above in multiple posts.

However, when I drove that C7 (not a Z06) at Cal speedway it handled great.
So good, I thought they had track tires on it.
I had to check after my run and found just PSS on it but at very low pressures <34 hot.

It was very easy to take the car to its limit and the rear end just started to step out slightly and was easy to recover.
I almost had no fear in the C7.
Also the torque was far more accessible.
It took a lot of seat time in the 991 to get even close to that brave and start approaching the performance limits.

Now the C7 Z06 possibly destroys the fearlessness factor, but since it has fantastic brakes, I imagine It would be wonderful on the track.
I still think the non-Z06 C7 is the ideal sports car, for price and performance, and possibly better than a C2S.
Only thing I would probably want to do to a Base C7 would be add the Z06 brakes on it.

I like the form factor and looks of the 991 so I don't regret not having a C7.
However, I did want to point out that the C7 (Z06 or base) is a very worthy alternative and should not be compared to a C6.
For those who like Manual (screw that 8AT) the C7 Z06 would be a blast to drive, with no handling downside to a 991.
Daily Driver, I'd still go 991 but for a weekend or track toy it would be C7 Z06, no question.

Quick Reply: 991 S or a 15 Z06