Sponsored by:

what is a 991 "MT" ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 07:49 PM
hoppah
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
What have you been driving prior to your 991? Every manual transmission car I've had since around '06 or so has had hill assist, including MINI's, Audi's, BMW's, and now Porsche. It's very easy to use and works as intended IF you quit trying to fight it. Light changes/traffic moves, let off the brake, take a deep breath then give it some gas and let the clutch out like you always would....it's nowhere near 2 seconds.
But if you try to force it, then yes, you stall it because you've essentially just dropped the hammer with the brake still on. BTW, the execution in the Porsche of hill hold is the best I've had so far and easiest to get used to.
As to why you can't turn it off? Most likely it's considered a safety feature, and some things are chosen at corporate level as non-defeatable. Just like you can't turn off the DRL's on a US model 991, you can't program out hill hold either.
Several dozen cars over a 40 year span, all with manual transmissions, thanks. I know how to drive them, thanks. I can hill hold myself just fine without nannies or any kind of e-braking without burning clutches or rolling even a millimeter, thanks. I've experimented with this feature quite a bit in 3000 miles and two months, given that I live in mountains and am always on roads that enable this idiotic, ham-fisted device, thanks. It sucks, huge, in a car with a manual, especially on a hill in heavy, start-move-an-inch-stop traffic. There is no finesse possible with it. You either kill the car, burn off a little clutch, or wait long enough for people behind you to honk. Those are the three options. Maybe mine is unique, but I doubt it.

There are a number of manual transmission cars where this is a defeatable option. Just not this one.

H.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:26 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Hmm. The (defeatable) hill-hold in my little Ford Fiesta ST works so seamlessly I just leave it on. I can't wait to experience it in my 991 wince it's delivered in the end of May, but I'm hardly worried about it!
Old 03-16-2015, 09:27 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sccab
Hmm. The (defeatable) hill-hold in my little Ford Fiesta ST works so seamlessly I just leave it on. I can't wait to experience it in my 991 wince it's delivered in the end of May, but I'm hardly worried about it!
Same experience here with the FIST. I can't imagine the GTS will be an issue.... I hope ;-)
Old 03-17-2015, 04:41 AM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Same here with my '11 Golf TDI MT DD. VW calls it "hill assist", and I didn't activate it (it's menu switchable) until several months after taking delivery. Its operation is so completely transparent that I've left it on ever since. Maybe Porsche's engineers should pull their noses out of the clouds and ask VW for help with it, if they truly can't figure it out for themselves...something I'll only believe after I've tried it for myself.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:58 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by drmatara
The hill hold took me by surprise the first time it engaged and then few hundred miles later...it's a non issue...
I agree. I had a manual transmission 997 GTS for 3.5 years and never had an issue with the hill hold function. Sure, I knew it was there, but after the first couple times using it, it was not a problem.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:18 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

I went though the posts and came up with a unscientific tally of support of MT vs. PDK

Looks like MT is beating PDK by 3 to 1

Are MT guys just more vocal?

Sales numbers don't support my research!
Old 03-17-2015, 06:07 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hoppah
Several dozen cars over a 40 year span, all with manual transmissions, thanks. I know how to drive them, thanks. I can hill hold myself just fine without nannies or any kind of e-braking without burning clutches or rolling even a millimeter, thanks. I've experimented with this feature quite a bit in 3000 miles and two months, given that I live in mountains and am always on roads that enable this idiotic, ham-fisted device, thanks. It sucks, huge, in a car with a manual, especially on a hill in heavy, start-move-an-inch-stop traffic. There is no finesse possible with it. You either kill the car, burn off a little clutch, or wait long enough for people behind you to honk. Those are the three options. Maybe mine is unique, but I doubt it.

There are a number of manual transmission cars where this is a defeatable option. Just not this one.

H.
With all due respect, there is a fourth option...learn how to drive your manual transmission car properly. I own one and not one time have I found any of your three options to hold true...the hill hold feature works perfectly for me and is necessary as the car has the electric parking brake feature.

Good luck!
Old 03-17-2015, 10:33 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I personally didn't like it in the 997 and still don't in the 991. My driving style of releasing the clutch and gas engagement simultaneously alway interferes with the brake. Resulting in a semi stall. Until I catch it. Most people I have seen usually give ample gas before releasing the clutch. Buying time. So it's probably a non issue for those. It's become a little less of a nuisance because I have to alter my driving style when on an incline. Could really do without it but if I lived in a hilly area I probably would figure out away of overriding it. Try looking for the leveling device and possibly offsetting it enough to never sense the nose coming up. Just my guess.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:13 AM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I've just emerged from a 20 year coma after crashing in my 911 tip, can someone please tell me what a "pdk" is?

(Sorry couldn't resist)
Old 03-18-2015, 11:43 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by hoppah

H.
Quite the rant there. Can't say as I disagree with it though. I've had the HH on a few BMWs and a mini, and quite personally, I think BMW did a better job with it than Porsche did. I'd love to be able to disable it, but now I've admitted defeat and just learned to live with it.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:15 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
I went though the posts and came up with a unscientific tally of support of MT vs. PDK

Looks like MT is beating PDK by 3 to 1

Are MT guys just more vocal?

Sales numbers don't support my research!
I noticed this too. Probably related, hardly anyone but professional reviewers comments on the feel/responsiveness of PDK controls, but there's posts galore gushing on and on delving into every little detail of how that shift lever feels in your hand. All evidence suggests therefore that in addition to being menial its also a fetish.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:27 PM
BJK
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

To get around the hill hold, just keep the transmission in neutral. When it's time to go, release the brake and put the car in gear at the same time, while moderating clutch and throttle.

Hill hold only engages when the transmission is in gear and brake depressed while stopped on an incline.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:24 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Has anyone having difficulties with the hill hold feature taken it in for service? Curious if the system can be adjusted/fine tuned by the dealer.

(Then again, if it's not throwing a code, good luck with that).
Old 03-18-2015, 02:33 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

I think my hill hold has only kicked on a couple times. Heck, I don't even remember how it works. Need to read the manual again.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 03-18-2015, 02:58 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

No hill hold complaints so far from owners in Florida. Steepest gradient in the state is probably only 2%, and the highest point is a dizzying 345 ft. Oh, and no curved roads either.

Quick Reply: what is a 991 "MT" ?