Sponsored by:

what is a 991 "MT" ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 04:00 PM
pap2828
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

MT used to mean Manual Transmission. Then they automated throttle matching eliminating the need for throttle skills, and added hill holding, eliminating the need for clutch skills. Activities requiring no skills are by definition menial. So now MT stands for Menial Transmission.
very funny
Old 03-13-2015, 04:02 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
Oh please....what a crock. Coming from the guy who doesn't own a 991, probably hasn't driven one, but loves to agitate here.
If you really believe its a crock, well then you don't have a problem with me, you have a problem with reality!

"The design of this manual transmission is based in principle on that of Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK). "

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...anual-gearbox/
Old 03-13-2015, 04:06 PM
romansroad
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hoppah
Bingo. I like to drive my car, not watch it drive itself. I no more want the car to operate its own clutch than I want it to steer or brake. "But it's faster than you'll ever be" is not compelling to me. I'm conducting a symphony, I'm not about to turn over the entire woodwind section to a Macbook.

H.
A symphony .... So true, and elegantly stated. From a guy who really misses his 993, and now has the 991PDK. Not a bad car, just so different. Sigh.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:37 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
If you really believe its a crock, well then you don't have a problem with me, you have a problem with reality!

"The design of this manual transmission is based in principle on that of Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK). "

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...anual-gearbox/
The crock is why you think that's a problem. Other than some journalists, I've never heard of a manual transmission owning 991 owner saying they think it sucks.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:39 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

WTF!!! How a basic question about the abbreviation "MT" can turn into all of this is entertaining!

I love "RL"!

Oh! ^^^ "Rennlist"!!
Old 03-13-2015, 04:42 PM
hoppah
Advanced

Originally Posted by mtbscott
The crock is why you think that's a problem. Other than some journalists, I've never heard of a manual transmission owning 991 owner saying they think it sucks.
Except for the hideous, awful "Porsche Drive-Off Assistant" ("hill hold"), which makes perfect sense with PDK but which is the most heinous thing with the manual. You have a choice each time you're on an incline with this monstrosity: burn your clutch or stall. Those are your choices. If you're on a hill in traffic and have to inch up the hill, you get to have everyone around you laugh at you for the stink coming from your very expensive hardware, or for watching you lurch and croak and restart, over and over. Oh I know you can take your foot off the brake and wait two seconds every time, but in traffic that just leads everyone to honk at you and try to roar around you - in other words, yet again thinking that you have no idea how to drive that fancy car you're in.

Otherwise, it's a wonderful manual. Just as smooth and positive and slick as can be.

H.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:51 PM
STG
Race Director

Guys, guys, is it possible "MT" could be something else?

The possibilities are endless!

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/MT
Old 03-13-2015, 05:01 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by hoppah
Except for the hideous, awful "Porsche Drive-Off Assistant" ("hill hold"), which makes perfect sense with PDK but which is the most heinous thing with the manual. You have a choice each time you're on an incline with this monstrosity: burn your clutch or stall. Those are your choices. If you're on a hill in traffic and have to inch up the hill, you get to have everyone around you laugh at you for the stink coming from your very expensive hardware, or for watching you lurch and croak and restart, over and over. Oh I know you can take your foot off the brake and wait two seconds every time, but in traffic that just leads everyone to honk at you and try to roar around you - in other words, yet again thinking that you have no idea how to drive that fancy car you're in.

Otherwise, it's a wonderful manual. Just as smooth and positive and slick as can be.

H.
Ew yuck! I bought a Wrangler last year and it has a similar hill holder function. I thought I'd forgotten how to drive! It was maddening. Read up in the manual about it, then found the section that told me how to turn it off through the EVICS system (like the MFD on a 911). Best mod I've done to it yet, and there have been a lot of them!

I assume you can't turn it off on a 911?
Old 03-13-2015, 05:58 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
That was an option that cars used to have in 2010....

The abbreviation NA will soon join it.
agree....so save this link :

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_America

Old 03-13-2015, 06:00 PM
hoppah
Advanced

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Ew yuck! I bought a Wrangler last year and it has a similar hill holder function. I thought I'd forgotten how to drive! It was maddening. Read up in the manual about it, then found the section that told me how to turn it off through the EVICS system (like the MFD on a 911). Best mod I've done to it yet, and there have been a lot of them!

I assume you can't turn it off on a 911?
Not yet, but am working on it.

H.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:42 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 752 Posts

WTF!!! How a basic question about the abbreviation "MT" can turn into all of this is entertaining! I love "RL"! Oh! ^^^ "Rennlist"!!
And you thought the madness only existed on 6speed.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:58 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Magic transmission?
Old 03-13-2015, 07:58 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Penn4S
And you thought the madness only existed on 6speed.
Very true!! A different madness, but madness regardless!!

Old 03-13-2015, 08:43 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

So what is better - Menial Transmission or PDK?
Old 03-13-2015, 09:12 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

WTF!!! How a basic question about the abbreviation "MT" can turn into all of this is entertaining!

I love "RL"!

Oh! ^^^ "Rennlist"!!

Oops

Quick Reply: what is a 991 "MT" ?