Sponsored by:

what is a 991 "MT" ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 01:06 AM
eldertec
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I think my hill hold has only kicked on a couple times. Heck, I don't even remember how it works. Need to read the manual again. Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
It works in Reverse also!
Old 03-22-2015, 01:46 PM
hoppah
Advanced

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I personally didn't like it in the 997 and still don't in the 991. My driving style of releasing the clutch and gas engagement simultaneously alway interferes with the brake. Resulting in a semi stall. Until I catch it. Most people I have seen usually give ample gas before releasing the clutch. Buying time. So it's probably a non issue for those. It's become a little less of a nuisance because I have to alter my driving style when on an incline. Could really do without it but if I lived in a hilly area I probably would figure out away of overriding it. Try looking for the leveling device and possibly offsetting it enough to never sense the nose coming up. Just my guess.
I thought about that but was worried it would affect other systems. I had a wheel off yesterday and marveled at the number of electromechanical sensors in there attached to suspension members that measure actual deflection angles. There's a lot going on in that computer.

I played with this feature some more and noted that waiting after releasing the brake does not cause the hill hold to release. It stays on "HOLD" until the clutch engages. You can release the brake and sit for 60 seconds (presumably more if you so desire) and sit there at will, waiting for you to rev that engine enough to keep from killing it, and eating a bit of clutch face in the process.

H.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:41 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by oldman40
Hi, I've just emerged from a 20 year coma after crashing in my 911 tip, can someone please tell me what a "pdk" is?

(Sorry couldn't resist)
PDK stands for Porsche Downhill Kinetichalten, an advanced transmission designed to prevent the car rolling backwards down hills. Derided by purists for its lack of a third pedal, it has nevertheless gained traction (heh) in the market due to the elimination of both a) a real e-brake and b) anyone left who understands the meaning of, let alone has the ability to perform, heel and toe.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:44 PM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
I went though the posts and came up with a unscientific tally of support of MT vs. PDK

Looks like MT is beating PDK by 3 to 1

Are MT guys just more vocal?

Sales numbers don't support my research!
We are just a defensive and loud bunch!

That the gt4 is available only in "MT" is entirely because of our rants.

Your welcome, purists everywhere. (Tongue firmly planted in cheek)
Old 03-22-2015, 03:56 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 03-23-2015, 08:20 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Try looking for the leveling device and possibly offsetting it enough to never sense the nose coming up. Just my guess.
Good idea, except that it also works if the car is pointing downhill and you are in reverse.

Probably the simplest way to disable it would be to remove the clutch pedal sensor, but then you may have difficulties starting the car.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:41 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Good idea, except that it also works if the car is pointing downhill and you are in reverse. Probably the simplest way to disable it would be to remove the clutch pedal sensor, but then you may have difficulties starting the car.
Good point.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:33 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
I went though the posts and came up with a unscientific tally of support of MT vs. PDK

Looks like MT is beating PDK by 3 to 1

Are MT guys just more vocal?

Sales numbers don't support my research!
That's because Porsche keeps shoving the PDK cars down our throats. Look through the listed 991 inventories on 4 or 5 dealer web sites. You will be hard pressed to find more than one MT car per web site. Some dealers have nothing but PDK cars. The new breed of owners keep buying them though, which is why the dealers get more of them on the lot.

This is similar to... why is there such a high percentage of 911 cars that are black or silver? Was it because of customer demand wanted those colors or was it driven by dealers ordering mostly black and silver which the customers bought because they had very few other choices? I believe it to be the latter. That trend has turned a little in the last few years but there are still a lot of black/silver cars on lots.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:50 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
That's because Porsche keeps shoving the PDK cars down our throats. Look through the listed 991 inventories on 4 or 5 dealer web sites. You will be hard pressed to find more than one MT car per web site. Some dealers have nothing but PDK cars. The new breed of owners keep buying them though, which is why the dealers get more of them on the lot.

This is similar to... why is there such a high percentage of 911 cars that are black or silver? Was it because of customer demand wanted those colors or was it driven by dealers ordering mostly black and silver which the customers bought because they had very few other choices? I believe it to be the latter. That trend has turned a little in the last few years but there are still a lot of black/silver cars on lots.
Exactly! There are only a couple MT at my local dealership and almost all cars were black/silver on black. I made it very clear I had no interest in driving an automatic sports car no matter how fast it shifted for me. So I had to custom order mine and had to buy the color without ever seeing it in person since they basically only had the 2 color choices on the lot.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:20 PM
hoppah
Advanced

Originally Posted by maxpowers
Exactly! There are only a couple MT at my local dealership and almost all cars were black/silver on black. I made it very clear I had no interest in driving an automatic sports car no matter how fast it shifted for me. So I had to custom order mine and had to buy the color without ever seeing it in person since they basically only had the 2 color choices on the lot.
When I bought mine (December 2014) they had so many variants of the 991 on the lot it was bewildering. C2, C4, Targa, Cab, every imaginable color and wheel combo, all sorts of different lists of options - but all of them PDK. My original objective was the GT3 but the fact that it was PDK only killed it for me. When I asked about a manual transmission the salesperson, standing in this vast sea of diversity, looked at me like I'd asked for a big chrome grill off a 1970s Lincoln. "Ummm.... I don't think we have any cars with a manual transmission." We walked around for 10 minutes looking at at least 50 991s before she pointed excitedly to one and said "oh wait, that one's manual!" It was a 2013 C2S with 130 miles on it. I bought it immediately.

H.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:34 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sccab
Hmm. The (defeatable) hill-hold in my little Ford Fiesta ST works so seamlessly I just leave it on. I can't wait to experience it in my 991 wince it's delivered in the end of May, but I'm hardly worried about it!
Well, now that we've had our 991 for a week I am annoyed with the "Drive-off Assistant" or "Hold" feature.

While it works invisibly in the little Fiesta ST, on steep grades it's actually quite obtrusive in the Porsche. The brakes hold so long that the car stalls as I release the clutch on steep hills. Living in Pittsburgh, we have no shortage of hills that trigger the Hold feature.

My wife and I (she's driven sticks for years too) are both troubled by it. The brakes hold so tightly the car won't move forward... very unnerving!

We're trying to tweak our behavior to adapt to the car, but I must admit after driving our car on steep hills I see why others loathe this "feature".
Old 05-26-2015, 11:40 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SDaddy
Same experience here with the FIST. I can't imagine the GTS will be an issue.... I hope ;-)
After 6 weeks and 3,000 with my GTS, I couldn't have been more wrong about hill holder.... the Fiesta ST is so much better. Porsche should provide an option for it to be disabled.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:56 AM
Marv800
Rennlist Member

It means "Medieval Trinket"
Old 05-27-2015, 12:59 AM
Marv800
Rennlist Member

I've also heard it might mean "mediocre (track) times"
Old 05-27-2015, 01:05 AM
Selo