Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman GT4 announced

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 06:07 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 386 Posts

Decided to go digging for the GT4 homologation rules. This is what it says with regards to transmission.

ARTICLE 9 : TRANSMISSION
9.1 Transmission system
The gearbox must comprise a maximum of 6 ratios and a reverse gear. The interior of the gearbox is free. The number of teeth and ratios homologated in the Technical Form must be retained. The joints of the gearbox are free. The gear selection grid pattern homologated on the series model must be retained.
Sequential gearboxes are forbidden in GT4, unless by a waiver of the SRO GT4 Bureau.
For cars fitted with a semi-automatic or automatic gearbox and with 6 ratios or more, and/or a power-driven clutch with electronic or pneumatic control, a waiver of the SRO GT4 Bureau can eventually be granted. By this the Technical Delegate may at any time oblige the competitor to use the reference unit(s) registered with the SRO Motorsports Group by the manufacturer or tuner.

Probably explains why they went for manual because as we all know the PDK is 7spd and would require an exemption.

For those who are interested in the detail, the full regulations can be found here: http://gt4series.com/wp-content/uplo...egulations.pdf
Old 02-09-2015, 09:43 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
.......it looks like the GT3 board is the most active followed by the 991.

It's nice seeing a lot of activity and new stuff to read. 6Speed has really really slowed down over the past 4-6 months.
their 991 area looks more and more like an ad site of sponsor started threads on aftermarket stuff like metallic purple 22 inch wheels
Old 02-09-2015, 03:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,598 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Decided to go digging for the GT4 homologation rules. This is what it says with regards to transmission.

ARTICLE 9 : TRANSMISSION
9.1 Transmission system
The gearbox must comprise a maximum of 6 ratios and a reverse gear. The interior of the gearbox is free. The number of teeth and ratios homologated in the Technical Form must be retained. The joints of the gearbox are free. The gear selection grid pattern homologated on the series model must be retained.
Sequential gearboxes are forbidden in GT4, unless by a waiver of the SRO GT4 Bureau.
For cars fitted with a semi-automatic or automatic gearbox and with 6 ratios or more, and/or a power-driven clutch with electronic or pneumatic control, a waiver of the SRO GT4 Bureau can eventually be granted. By this the Technical Delegate may at any time oblige the competitor to use the reference unit(s) registered with the SRO Motorsports Group by the manufacturer or tuner.

Probably explains why they went for manual because as we all know the PDK is 7spd and would require an exemption.

For those who are interested in the detail, the full regulations can be found here: http://gt4series.com/wp-content/uplo...egulations.pdf
I dont think they would race either a 7 or PDK even if the rules permitted it!
Old 02-09-2015, 03:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Seriously.. Unless the intake tract for the gt4 is SEVERELY compromised, losing 45hp is absurd. Out another way.. How many cars can you GAIN 45hp with just by changing the intakes?.. Exactly.

I have no info to speculate on the he actual number.. Just VERRRY curious to have a shop put up a carrera S and gtr on same dyno at same time and see what comes up...
Where are you getting -45bhp from, by my math 400-385=15bhp difference?

There is no suggestion that the GT4's 3.8 is based on the powerkit equiped 3.8L, not that I saw...
Old 02-09-2015, 03:06 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
My thoughts on this:

1. GT4 385 HP advertised is sandbagged by marketing. The engine output is over 400 hp, maybe 415...
2. 2950 lbs GT4 vs 3150 lbs GTS
3. 6 psd vs 7 spd a non issue 0-60 sprint
Crystal ball?
Old 02-09-2015, 03:36 PM
user1029
Drifting

Received 558 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
their 991 area looks more and more like an ad site of sponsor started threads on aftermarket stuff like metallic purple 22 inch wheels
Old 02-09-2015, 10:53 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts

I remember going to the Club races at Watkins Glen in both 2012 and 2013. There were a few Caymans racing in '12, but there were a lot more Boxsters and 911s in that class. In '13 it was like everyone had suddenly discovered Caymans. They ran in at least a couple classes that year and did very well against similar spec 911s.

My Cayman was a straight stock R, with a MT. I can only say how the car felt to me on the track(DE), keeping in mind my limited experience and skill level. Going into and through corners it had a clear advantage over 911s I've driven. Coming out of the corners you can sense the ability of a 911 to dig in better, of course. The Cayman is definitely easier to drive closer to the limit than the 911s I've driven, but to me the biggest sense you get from the Cayman R at least is that right out of the box it was a very good track tool. It could have definitely used more power, especially for a better driver.

Given the suspension set-up (from the specs it looks like SPASM is standard at 30mm reduced ride height) and the 3.8L motor in the GT4 I am more than willing to bet that once people like Chris Harris get to drive this new car they will be seriously excited. From the EVO interview with AP it seemed like he nearly said the steering was from the GT3. I'm sitting here trying to figure how I can afford to have the new 991 GTS coupe due in April, keep my '96 993 C2 coupe, and find enough $$ in my piggy bank for a stripped GT4 with AC and radio delete, and just sport chrono and the sport bucket seats. Clearly, for me at least, it's overreaching. But, what's left of life is bound to be damn short, and I'll be dead for a long time.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:10 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by kwikit356

I'm sitting here trying to figure how I can afford to have the new 991 GTS coupe due in April, keep my '96 993 C2 coupe, and find enough $$ in my piggy bank for a stripped GT4 with AC and radio delete, and just sport chrono and the sport bucket seats. Clearly, for me at least, it's overreaching. But, what's left of life is bound to be damn short, and I'll be dead for a long time.
Sounds like my plan.

Quick Reply: Cayman GT4 announced