Sponsored by:

AMG GTS vs 991 GTS - latest test from UK Car Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 03:58 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts
Default AMG GTS vs 991 GTS - latest test from UK Car Magazine

Another win for the 991 GTS: http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-rev...s-2015-review/
Old 02-09-2015, 05:04 PM
SnakeBitten
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm actually annoyed it wasn't a more decisive win. Kacher made a wishy washy closing statement:

"Not surprisingly then, the 911 is the purer, more focused and ultimately more dynamic choice. The new Mercedes AMG is neither the perfect GT nor the perfect sports car. But it straddles the two categories with addictive appeal and ability."
Old 02-09-2015, 05:06 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Interesting, particularly the 'World-first GT S vs GTS comparison' statement that is clearly inaccurate... per the link I posted earlier Automobile Mag posted a similar comparison (same photos no less) in late November.

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...rsche-911-gts/

Edit: Probably handy to look at the author, it is in fact the same author/article but content wise each source is slightly different in terms of content/editing.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:33 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Good pick up. It's clearly just a rehash by CAR although I do think that Georg Kacher is one of the better auto journalists out there.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:43 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

All these comparisons accomplish is that each car has its own merits. Also, they do have to please the manufacturers to a certain extent and try not to be too critical.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:43 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

I find this comment interesting.....

Late next year when the new 992 enters the scene, turbos will be mandatory across the range, so it’s now or never, unless your budget stretches to the GT3.

We know it is coming, but I'm not sure if anyone but Porsche could answer the "mandatory" aspect, but they're not talking clearly at this time.

If indeed smaller turbo engines will be the norm for the 992,.....I'm very glad I have a GTS coming.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,436 Likes on 2,246 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
Interesting, particularly the 'World-first GT S vs GTS comparison' statement that is clearly inaccurate... per the link I posted earlier Automobile Mag posted a similar comparison (same photos no less) in late November.

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...rsche-911-gts/

Edit: Probably handy to look at the author, it is in fact the same author/article but content wise each source is slightly different in terms of content/editing.
Not too mention the one in the last Evo mag... that they did at the GTS launch last Nov in Ca...
Old 02-09-2015, 08:11 PM
1993GTS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The AMG, from the side, looks almost cartoonish to me. That is one big nose.

But cool article. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:18 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
I find this comment interesting..... Late next year when the new 992 enters the scene, turbos will be mandatory across the range, so it’s now or never, unless your budget stretches to the GT3. We know it is coming, but I'm not sure if anyone but Porsche could answer the "mandatory" aspect, but they're not talking clearly at this time. If indeed smaller turbo engines will be the norm for the 992,.....I'm very glad I have a GTS coming.
Another NA vs. Turbo brawl coming! Ha ha. I'm an NA fan by the way!

The 991.2 will have turbo engines. Porsche has also stated that they will remain Flat 6's and not smaller engines except the Boxster/Cayman.

By keeping them Flat 6 this will leave LOTS of room for HP bumps each facelift.

The GT cars will remain NA for the near future because of low production numbers.

The GTS will be the last of the NA street 911's.

Good time to have one incoming. Congrats!

* All above information is from bits/pieces I've read and gathered. I'd say pretty accurate. Fact check me later in the year!
Old 02-09-2015, 11:21 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Another NA vs. Turbo brawl coming! Ha ha. I'm an NA fan by the way!

The 991.2 will have turbo engines. Porsche has also stated that they will remain Flat 6's and not smaller engines except the Boxster/Cayman.

By keeping them Flat 6 this will leave LOTS of room for HP bumps each facelift.

The GT cars will remain NA for the near future because of low production numbers.

The GTS will be the last of the NA street 911's.

Good time to have one incoming. Congrats!

* All above information is from bits/pieces I've read and gathered. I'd say pretty accurate. Fact check me later in the year!

I don't think anyone knows for certain yet , but this is the first time someone has actually stated turbo engines exclusively across the line-up for the 992. Whether true or not?,....I guess we will find out pretty soon.

The Boxster/Cayman will get turbo 4's,....maybe a very small six if deemed necessary. The 992 will get downsized turbo motors say 2.9L, 3.2L or maybe a 3.4L if very lucky. I don't believe they would put turbos on a 3.8 or a least not for now, that would be the path ahead some years down the road. As always with Porsche they won't encroach on the current GT3 or Turbo cars with the new versions. They could easily put out a Turbo 500HP 3.8L Carrera S, but they won't.

I'm not a turbo hater by any means, owned quite a few, but owning them makes me love the Porsche NA flat sixes even more.

Quick Reply: AMG GTS vs 991 GTS - latest test from UK Car Magazine