Sponsored by:

The now "age old debate" PDK vs Manual in the GTS, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 03:03 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick1
Aside from getting much more enjoyment from driving a manual transmission, one other bonus a manual offers me is that very few of my friends, family or acquaintances know how to drive a manual transmission.
Thus, they won't be asking me to drive my car.
Funny thing is whenever someone finds out I drive a Porsche, when they see the car they all look so excited....until they look inside and see it's a manual.
Good point: with PDK its much easier (and less risky) to share your Porsche driving experience with friends.

(The excitement fades when they realize they are looking at a "new" car with a 200 year old transmission. Like showing off your "new" computer and they see DOS. I bet nobody ever asks to use that either.)
Old 11-18-2014, 03:09 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 358 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
because its a generalization, its not true, and it adds no value quite the opposite in fact. I'm an MT advocate, but I dont think you are an unskilled moron ... nor are any of the people that pick PDK ... I dont even know why I, or anyone else is wasting any more of their valuable time on this thread ... there is nothing of value here anymore ...
You are correct Larry,but as I've mentioned before,the OP chose Manual. Very happy with that decision.
And I promise that if there will ever be another thread where the OP needs to make a decision,I will push as hard as I can to persuade him getting a Manual.
Unfortunately there is a " war " where manufacturers are pushing their way and are winning at the moment. Most people buy into the new technology. Not a bad thing,but Porsche promised that as long as there will be some demand a Manual transmission will continue to be offered.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:10 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Wait until Porsche drops all manuals, what will everyone argue about then?? Ha ha.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
You are correct Larry,but as I've mentioned before,the OP chose Manual. Very happy with that decision.
And I promise that if there will ever be another thread where the OP needs to make a decision,I will push as hard as I can to persuade him getting a Manual.
Unfortunately there is a " war " where manufacturers are pushing their way and are winning at the moment. Most people buy into the new technology. Not a bad thing,but Porsche promised that as long as there will be some demand a Manual transmission will continue to be offered.
Amen! that's why I'm keeping my GT3

Originally Posted by STG991
Wait until Porsche drops all manuals, what will everyone argue about then?? Ha ha.
oh next year we will argue about the new turbo engines vs N.A ... and eventually we will argue about turbos vs hybrids and hybrids vs pure electric...

and we haven't touched on Bose vs Burrmeister or 4-way vs 14-way vs 18 way seats...

then of course there are those old favorites:

PCCB vs Steel...

Center Locks vs 5 lug ...

So there is plenty of material left for us to balkanize around... death to hybrid driving, turbo charged, steel rotored, PDK shifting white car drivers!

Old 11-18-2014, 03:31 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Amen! that's why I'm keeping my GT3 oh next year we will argue about the new turbo engines vs N.A ... and eventually we will argue about turbos vs hybrids and hybrids vs pure electric... and we haven't touched on Bose vs Burrmeister or 4-way vs 14-way vs 18 way seats... then of course there are those old favorites: PCCB vs Steel... Center Locks vs 5 lug ... So there is plenty of material left for us to balkanize around... death to hybrid driving, turbo charged, steel rotored, PDK shifting white car drivers!
NA all the way. Not looking forward to turbo, and never on the electric. Never!

You forgot and oldie but a goodie! Clear vs. Red tail lights!
Old 11-18-2014, 03:31 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Amen! that's why I'm keeping my GT3
I remember when you were thinking about selling it... You would've " cried your eyes out " if you did!
Very very smart decision keeping it!

Old 11-18-2014, 03:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
I remember when you were thinking about selling it... You would've " cried your eyes out " if you did!
Very very smart decision keeping it!

it would have been a big ugly cry too ... lots of sobbing and excess mucous!

and I wont mind a bit when a 991 GT3 passes me...

see 4:20 onwards...
Old 11-18-2014, 03:42 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 200 Posts

This quote seems relevant to the discourse here... from an article posted today on the 911 GTS.

FlatSixes.com - 10 Things We Learned Driving Porsche’s New 991 GTS

The big thing here, however, is the PDK. I love manual transmissions, and all of my cars for the last 10 years have been manually shifted, but Porsche's PDK is the only transmission I've ever driven that makes me think I would be willing to live with an automated gearbox. It only took about 2 laps around the track for me to remember that PDK was vastly more intelligent than I am, and leaving it in automatic Sport+ mode is the quickest way around. PDK allows you to focus more on your brake and throttle inputs, your lines through the corner, and your steering angle. It just allows you to have more fun, and drive the car quicker.

There are a lot of guys out there saying that they would be interested in getting the GTS, because its as close as you can get to the GT3 with a stick shift. I'll admit, I had a whole lot of fun in a 7-speed equipped Carrera 4 GTS both on track and on the street. The 7-speed is a fantastic manual transmission, but it doesn't hold a candle to the PDK. If you must have a stick, this is a good one to have, though.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:46 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

and I wont mind a bit when a 991 GT3 passes me... Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erE0qiie_U0 see 4:20 onwards...
Old 11-18-2014, 03:57 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

So if the battery is totally dead in a manual transmission 991 with all its electric gizmos . . . can you still start it by coasting down the hill and popping the clutch?!!
Just some fresh meat for the pro-MT gang to toss about
Old 11-18-2014, 04:36 PM
IRguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I did drive the PDK and the manual back to back. In fact just left the dealership 15min ago.

Here is my take:
I did drive the PDK first.
PDK is extremely smooth and fast. I did not remember being this impressed and the trany being this good in the panamera (??!!)
Responds very well to manual input as well, the car had the sport design steering wheel and paddles. In auto it was not at all the auto I used to have in rental cars (downshifting 3sec late when I try to merge onto a highway etc) I did use in normal mode in auto and more than half the time in manual. (Roads are dirty and slippery, temp is in the 20s.) I think I can live with this transmission. So when I got out of the car I was very impressed.
Then I drove the manual. First, I was afraid of this manual not being a "dedicated" manual but kind of a kimera of the PDK. No worries! This manual is very very good!! Perhaps the best manual I have ever drove for the road. (the RS manual is a different beast, great when pushing it, not so great when just driving in town.)
In short, I was impressed by both transmissions. But the end of the drive it was clear I have to have a manual car. Just more to do, A task in which the auto/computer etc better than me but a task I enjoy. So for me, PDK for the track, manual for the road, as long as they have manual, but when they don't PDK is as good as it gets.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:50 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottish Pete
So if the battery is totally dead in a manual transmission 991 with all its electric gizmos . . . can you still start it by coasting down the hill and popping the clutch?!!
Just some fresh meat for the pro-MT gang to toss about
Reeks of desperation.

Why fight it? Resistance is futile. You don't know the power of the dark side. We can even mix metaphors! Or, keep playing the kid….
Old 11-19-2014, 01:56 AM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it would have been a big ugly cry too ... lots of sobbing and excess mucous!

and I wont mind a bit when a 991 GT3 passes me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erE0qiie_U0

see 4:20 onwards...
Listen carefully to what Walter Rohrl says at 4:36 when he describes driving a Porsche with a manual transmission.
His personal favorites are both manuals, 964RS. Go figure.
Remember, he is the king of Porsche, a driving legend. A Porsche God.
"It's REAL car driving you know"
I bet if you asked him off the record his view of the PDK he'd say the paper pushers wanted it in order to appeal to the masses, and grandmothers.
End of debate.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:03 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maverick1
Listen carefully to what Walter Rohrl says at 4:36 when he describes driving a Porsche with a manual transmission.
His personal favorites are both manuals, 964RS. Go figure.
Remember, he is the king of Porsche, a driving legend. A Porsche God.
"It's REAL car driving you know"
I bet if you asked him off the record his view of the PDK he'd say the paper pushers wanted it in order to appeal to the masses, and grandmothers.
End of debate.
if its good enough for Walter its more good enough for me.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:22 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Oops

Quick Reply: The now "age old debate" PDK vs Manual in the GTS, HELP