Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Money2536's Farewell to the 991 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 09:38 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats!!! Looked into the GT3 world briefly and double checked my accounts... not my league. Have fun!!!
Old 10-11-2014, 11:14 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How could a cam problem develop a 4000 miles? It would have to be there from the start.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:55 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

Sorry to see it go, but pretty curious about the GT3. I let my allocation go, and regret it, but no manual was the deal breaker.

Sent PM about the exhaust
Old 10-11-2014, 12:51 PM
cdelrosario
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe I speak for many of the Rennlisters here. I have witnessed through Money's postings and pictures how much he really loved his 911. I was amazed at how much time and effort he put, not only into keeping his car pristine, but in allowing us to share his knowledge and experience.

Clearly, like most of us, Money was very into his car. Very!

I guess this is the most disturbing part. If Money has this stumbling problem as others have, and made the decision to switch cars, albeit another Porsche, I know this problem is SERIOUS. SERIOUS enough that Money wasn't willing to go through the fight ahead with Porsche. I know I would not have the time or the internal fortitude to battle them either.

After reading the blog on 6, I am sold on Porsche knowing of this issue and playing the "its normal" card and there is are no "error codes" being thrown so "there is nothing wrong" when clearly there is.

Sad that Porsche is going to try and just sweep this under the rug...
Old 10-11-2014, 12:55 PM
motenai
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt, I must have just pulled into the dealership moments after you had left! I received a call on thursday by my SA that a GT3 just came up and if I was interested in looking at it. No other explanation, just that one had come available. I arrived friday and parked next to a 991 with a badgeless rear and black exhaust tips and I thought, "that looks a lot like a 991 I've been following on rennlist". I checked the license plate and noticed it was gone and I thought, "I bet this guy just traded it in for the GT3 I was coming in to see". Sure enough, I walked into the dealers "office" and was told by my SA that I had just missed the GT3! Congrats!
Old 10-11-2014, 03:48 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had no issues with my 911/50. Interestingly, I was going to buy my 911/50 but my SA convinced me to lease. He said if it gets in an accident or other issues (like this stumbling stuff) I can just give it back. If it runs flawlessly I can buy it out. More money in the long run but at least it gives me that extra option. Seemed to make sense at the time.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:51 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I was seriousness thinking of getting a 991 GTS to replace my 997 GTS, but very reluctant to now.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:20 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Zucc
I am almost mad that you went with sapphire blue. I came close but in the end I ordered metallic white. I'm sure I'll be staring at your sick detailing skills for many months to come! I have no doubt that yours will be the best looking sapphire blue on Rennlist.
I was going to chicken out on ordering it on a '15 order, but I'm so glad I got it. I'm going to get better photos of it. It is pretty incredible. People saying it looks washed out in comparison to other Blues are not correct. It is stunning.

Originally Posted by cdelrosario
Hi Money,
I was sad to learn of the stumble issues with your C2S and the ultimate trade in of your immaculate vehicle.

It appears that the stumble may have to do with the vario-cam.

So does the GT3 not utilize this vario cam? So the GT3 is immune from this issue?

Naturally, I am concerned about this stumble, though I have not noticed it on my preowned '13 with 10k miles.

Thanks for the info you passed along re the value of your trade in. I agree with you, in that , I would not want yo live with a stumbling $130k car.
No one knows if it's the vario cam switch over. There is a distinct stumble from 2,200 to 3,000. Then you feel a large switchover bump at 3,000. Most cars are good after 3,000, but mine was stumbling all the way to about 4,000. On heavy acceleration it was fine. The GT3 is not immune. I'm just hoping that with a different motor I'll get lucky. I want to believe.

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Very sad, and happy story, at the same time. Looking forward to your 991 GT3 journal. Greatly enjoyed your C2S X51 one.

As for the issue... I see the 6sponline thread. Is there one here on Rennlist I can follow? If not, we should probably start one.
There isn't a thread on Rennlist. I was going to make one like "duxsi" did on 6speed, but I decided to jump ship instead. Sorry for that.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:28 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
Congrats!!! Looked into the GT3 world briefly and double checked my accounts... not my league. Have fun!!!
Thanks man! My account statements were telling me no as well, so I ran some future projections assuming 35% returns per year. It turned out okay, so I went for it.

Originally Posted by wanderfalke
How could a cam problem develop a 4000 miles? It would have to be there from the start.
That's what I said. Most think it is software related. The motor feels strong, just stumbly under light load.

Originally Posted by The Greek
Sorry to see it go, but pretty curious about the GT3. I let my allocation go, and regret it, but no manual was the deal breaker.

Sent PM about the exhaust
You guys know me and my manuals. The awesomeness of the GT3 overcame my desire for a manual. This things revs so fast, I would have a really hard time if it had a manual. Plus the PDK-S feels very manual like. It is much different than normal PDK.

Originally Posted by Bacura
I have had no issues with my 911/50. Interestingly, I was going to buy my 911/50 but my SA convinced me to lease. He said if it gets in an accident or other issues (like this stumbling stuff) I can just give it back. If it runs flawlessly I can buy it out. More money in the long run but at least it gives me that extra option. Seemed to make sense at the time.
If it weren't for MRM, I would have leased it. That would have cost me much less than buying it like I did. I considered it on the GT3, but I'm hoping the it doesn't drop like a rock as quickly as my C2S. I luckily had a deal done the day after the GTS was announced or dealers would have given me even less.

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
I was seriousness thinking of getting a 991 GTS to replace my 997 GTS, but very reluctant to now.
I wish I could tell you not to worry about it. If you have even half a brain or know anything about your car, the stumble will drive you crazy. Then you go to the dealer and let the head tech drive. Then he looks at you like you're crazy and nothing is wrong. That's why I lit the $30,000 on fire.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:56 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by motenai
Matt, I must have just pulled into the dealership moments after you had left! I received a call on thursday by my SA that a GT3 just came up and if I was interested in looking at it. No other explanation, just that one had come available. I arrived friday and parked next to a 991 with a badgeless rear and black exhaust tips and I thought, "that looks a lot like a 991 I've been following on rennlist". I checked the license plate and noticed it was gone and I thought, "I bet this guy just traded it in for the GT3 I was coming in to see". Sure enough, I walked into the dealers "office" and was told by my SA that I had just missed the GT3! Congrats!
Originally Posted by LexVan
Matt, tell us more about the new GT3. How did it become available (open allocation that went unsold...prior buyer bail after the stop-sale.......PCNA auction buy-back......etc.)? Did it have the motor swap state-side or in Germany?

Again, car looks great. Enjoy.
I was going to save the story for my next Journal, but I'll cue you guys in. I called multiple dealerships to find a '15 allocation. Tallahassee had a 2014 new and untitled with the new engine that was 90% of what I wanted. They offered me $95,000 for my C2S. So one dealer with an allocation offered me $92,500 for my car. I was ready to take that deal and get exactly what I wanted, but I was going to get white. I was too scared to get blue. That dealer was two hours away. Then my local dealer, Ocala, called me the same day after working with them for two weeks that they would give me $95,000 for my car.

I was literally filling out a $5,000 non-refundable deposit form for my local dealer when I got a call from Heiner in Orlando telling me a GT3 just showed up. I bought my C2S in Orlando. I asked Ocala to hold on a few hours. They had another guy interested in the allocation. Heiner sent me the specs. Sapphire Blue and exactly what I wanted! It had a few extras, but none of the stuff I didn't want, like XM satellite radio!

I called Heiner like five times in five minutes after getting the spec sheet. Now it was a '14, so my natural question was, "what's the story." Who knows if it's the truth, but supposedly a guy ordered it and backed out due not having the funds transfer from overseas or something like that. New motor but brand new and untitled with 70 miles on it.

Holy crap! I told Heiner get me $100K for my car, and I'll come get it Friday morning. It was too late in the afternoon for me to get to Orlando and get my spacers off and radar detector out of my car. He called me back 10 minutes later. $98K, they would put my stock exhaust back on so I can sell my AWE, and MSRP. I want it! That car is mine! He took a $1,000 deposit and put a SOLD sign on it.

I drove down on Friday morning to get there at 9:00AM when they opened. I traded my C2S and was on my way home by 10:30 AM! Yikes! I went from ordering another white car that I would get in February to driving home in a GT3 in 15 hours!

So that's the story. I'm so glad I got the blue. I didn't have the guts to order one. I'll post up all the specs in my Journal.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:16 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Matt, when you get used to the PDK, and you have thoroughly learned it, please put a "Why I like PDK better than Manual" Thread on here. As a fellow engineer I know that you will in the long run learn to enjoy the PDK more so that the manual. This is my second one and its just thrilling. Also I bet in a month or so, you are going to wish you had done the same on the M3! Oh well you will like having one of each.
What got me was the silky 7 speed in my AMG C63. Then I drove a Porsche PDK and felt like what then AMG tranny SHOULD have been and that was it.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:31 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Matt, when you get used to the PDK, and you have thoroughly learned it
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, what is there to "learn"?

Anytime you want, you can buy a paragraph from Vanna and Pat for $250.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:00 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 165 Posts

Wow. I feel sorry for the poor sap who pays 110K for Matt's car from the dealer thinking what a cream puff he is getting for 20K under sticker! I feel for OP though. How could you ever sell this car to a fellow Rennlister and feel good about it?

Jim
Old 10-11-2014, 09:13 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexvan wrote:
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, what is there to "learn"?
1.Well how to get it in to neutral with the paddles.
2. When to shift in SPORT PLUS mode
3. When to shift it in SPORT Mode
4. Where is the kick down mode, and how is it actuated.
5. When does the PDK shift in SPORT Plus mode
6. When does the PDK shift in SPORT mode.
7. When braking in a corner where does the PDK Down shift and to what gear.
8 do you need to do anything with the accelerator to help rev match or does it do it.
9Does the PDK interpret full throttle differently than 3/4 throttle and how does that change
the shift points, and in what mode.
Just a few things IF you want your car to do what YOU want instead of doing what IT wants.

I guess if your wife drives it you dont have to learn how it works but on a GT3..... You NEED to know how it works or work IT, especially if you track it. How do you think the test drivers finally understood that the engineers got the shifting points correct? They went out and drove it, learned it and then decided on what to do when driving the car on the track.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:33 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See you around Money. I always enjoy your photos and walkthrough.

I am also thinking to trade mine for a Turbo or GT3 - maybe in a couple of years or sooner if I find a good deal.

PF

Quick Reply: Money2536's Farewell to the 991 Forum