Sponsored by:

Excitement for the new GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 05:18 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixinbones
I think the GTS is just what most of us expected and it is a great car. As some others have mentioned, those looking for PDKs and RWS were in a dream world. Out of curiosity, I just priced out a fairly loaded C4 GTS PDK and it came to over 150k. Originally I was going to purchase a Targa 4S and it was also around that number as I spec'd the X-51 due to the Targa's porky weight. In the end the price difference between a fairly loaded Targa 4S or GTS I built was only 10-15k so I went with a TT. A lightly equipped TT with only the must have options can be had for around 160-165k.
Yes of course the GTS is a great car. How could it not be? Its a 991! I can't speak for others but for me the idea (more of a hope, really) they might give it RWS, GT3 steering software, etc, was based more on longstanding Porsche history.

Typically, Porsche models like S, RS, GT, RSR, etc denote cars with significant development of suspension, engine, brakes that set them apart from other models. Model names like Club Sport, 50, Club Coupe are used for nicely optioned cars that otherwise are no different than their base models.

So to be consistent with that Porsche would have to give the GTS at least a few genuine performance upgrades not available as options. RWS was a logical candidate. PDK from the GT3 would be one too. But instead of those model-worthy improvements they went with bling- CL's, wide body, Alcantara.

Oh well. It does look good.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:12 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Yes of course the GTS is a great car. How could it not be? Its a 991! I can't speak for others but for me the idea (more of a hope, really) they might give it RWS, GT3 steering software, etc, was based more on longstanding Porsche history.

Typically, Porsche models like S, RS, GT, RSR, etc denote cars with significant development of suspension, engine, brakes that set them apart from other models. Model names like Club Sport, 50, Club Coupe are used for nicely optioned cars that otherwise are no different than their base models.

So to be consistent with that Porsche would have to give the GTS at least a few genuine performance upgrades not available as options. RWS was a logical candidate. PDK from the GT3 would be one too. But instead of those model-worthy improvements they went with bling- CL's, wide body, Alcantara.

The new 911 Carrera GTS - All that matters. - YouTube
And I'm ordering one with CL delete, alcantara delete and was getting a C4S anyhow. It's still a good deal since I wanted the Powerkit. And they're throwing in "free" SD mirrors, steering wheel and charging 1/2 price for the LED headlights, as well as providing interior package and center console trim in leather at no charge.
I really wish they would let me PAY to have the MFSW with paddles, though...
Old 10-12-2014, 10:23 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You can also add the duck tail which will have the added bonus of eliminating the hideous black grill on the rear deck lid. That alone would be worth the $2,000.

If I were going to order a GTS, I would either a) get the duck tail, or b) upon delivery, immediately have the rear deck lid grill painted to match the exterior.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:46 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
I have long wondered how a MFSW with paddles (rather than buttons) would sell if it were an option. I'll qualify this with *I'm sure Porsche has done their due market research*, but I would think there would be many who would choose it, even at an additional cost.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:48 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
And I'm ordering one with CL delete, alcantara delete and was getting a C4S anyhow. It's still a good deal since I wanted the Powerkit. And they're throwing in "free" SD mirrors, steering wheel and charging 1/2 price for the LED headlights, as well as providing interior package and center console trim in leather at no charge.
Oh yeah, its a great options package. Not worth a model designation, but still a great set of options. Imagine if Porsche offered a few more options packages like this! I know... dream on!
Old 10-12-2014, 10:59 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

When the 991.2 comes out in a year I suspect there will be some disappointed GTS owners. 450 hp/rws/GT3 steering/cosmetic changes? I'm glad I got the 911/50(without houndstooth) but if I was looking at the GTS today(and it's still a great car) I would just wait for the 991.2.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:06 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
You can also add the duck tail which will have the added bonus of eliminating the hideous black grill on the rear deck lid. That alone would be worth the $2,000.

If I were going to order a GTS, I would either a) get the duck tail, or b) upon delivery, immediately have the rear deck lid grill painted to match the exterior.
+1
Old 10-12-2014, 03:02 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
I have long wondered how a MFSW with paddles (rather than buttons) would sell if it were an option. I'll qualify this with *I'm sure Porsche has done their due market research*, but I would think there would be many who would choose it, even at an additional cost.
My '08 Tundra and my wife's '08 A6 have MFSWs and I don't think anyone can argue they don't make driving safer and more convenient to use the phone or music.
I simply won't have those silly little buttons, though. What were they thinking?
I'm hoping to keep my February PTS slot and pray they allow the Macan wheel in these cars by then. Not likely, I realize.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:23 PM
mrsmitty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am second guessing myself now. Have a desire to get a GT3 instead and keep my VW for winter driving and just keep the GT3 for summer. Damn my indecisiveness.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:31 PM
Yardman
6th Gear

I keep waiting for someone to point out that the GTS is over 10K less than specing out a S model with the same options...
Isn't that a deal???
And that doesn't include items you can't spec on an S like...4S Rear End, Centerlock Wheels, Alcantara all over it, etc.
Be they options you want or not....am I missing this or am I correct.
If I was in the market for an S I would consider it a deal.
Parts Bin Car and All.....
Old 10-12-2014, 11:51 PM
coxswain
Racer

Originally Posted by gota911

Yes, I agree. This black grille will not look good on light-colored cars. But on the other hand, it will look so cool on dark-colored ones, like Agate Grey or Jet Black Metallic. I think Porsche should have used dark-colored cars in their ad campaign for GTS:

Last edited by coxswain; 10-13-2014 at 02:10 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yardman
I keep waiting for someone to point out that the GTS is over 10K less than specing out a S model with the same options...
Isn't that a deal???
And that doesn't include items you can't spec on an S like...4S Rear End, Centerlock Wheels, Alcantara all over it, etc.
Be they options you want or not....am I missing this or am I correct.
If I was in the market for an S I would consider it a deal.
Parts Bin Car and All.....
+1!
Old 10-13-2014, 04:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911

The new 911 Carrera GTS - All that matters. - YouTube
But that's not what pretty much *any* GTS stickered Porsche has been... Cayenne, Boxster, Caman, Panamera, 997 ...
Old 10-13-2014, 04:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bacura
When the 991.2 comes out in a year I suspect there will be some disappointed GTS owners. 450 hp/rws/GT3 steering/cosmetic changes? I'm glad I got the 911/50(without houndstooth) but if I was looking at the GTS today(and it's still a great car) I would just wait for the 991.2.
not if its a (debadged) turbo engine...
Old 10-13-2014, 06:55 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 165 Posts

I bet the new one will be turbo charged ala BMW old M3 to new M4. Everyone seems to be going that route. They will tout more hp and much more torque. It is not the right direction IMHO if you really appreciate what a normally aspirated 911 represents. Good for the aftermarket exhaust makers however!
Jim

Quick Reply: Excitement for the new GTS?