Sponsored by:

Just got my first 911 -- a total snore

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 02:39 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
Maybe the car is a bore or a snore, but how does somebody who professes so much Porsche experience get snockered so easily? And why admit it publicly? Doesn't seem too smart or experienced, just a case of buyer's remorse. Sell it and move on, quietly.
No, but it sure seems troll.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:40 PM
clangpap
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 991 does everything so well that it makes us old, well past our prime guys with years of track experience look like better drivers than we are. I'm sure I'll never have the nerve to drive this car anywhere near its limits.

At 30 years old you lack perspective. You've only lived in a world where even American cars are reliable. All cars today are "easy" to drive well no matter what the marque.

Like others, my advice to you is to sell the 991 and experience something more "raw" and "exciting". To do that you need to go back to the late 60s or early 70s. That's the heyday of "sports cars" in North America. Personally, I'd suggest a late 60s Triumph - not the high HP TR6, but rather a convertible Spitfire. If you want to go for a "big" engine get an MGB.

The cars have ridiculously high gearing and low HP and no torque. You will have to learn to carry speed to drive them quickly. Haven't driven it for a week? Get ready to lift the hood and prime the fuel pump before you get in, then yank the choke out a foot and crank it until it starts. Cornering? Now that's exciting if you hit a bump mid turn and the car jumps a foot to the outside. These cars you can drive at 10/10 on the country roads.

Electrical? Only two or three fuses and it's still unreliable. The upside is you can fix everything mechanical or electrical with an adjustable wrench, pliers, a multi-tip screwdriver and wire.

After you're through with a few years in the the English cars, buy an old Miata as it's a giant step up in technology, but still slow enough to thoroughly enjoy.

Do yourself a favour, sell the 991, buy a Camry and a Triumph and learn to drive cars from an era when it took skill not technology to drive quickly. Put the balance on a house.

Try the latest iteration of the 911 when you are 40 as you'll then have the perspective to appreciate what marvellous cars these are (in all their iterations).

Last edited by clangpap; 07-23-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:04 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I liked the RLer who suggested the STi. PERFECT car for this guy!! Lots of Noise, lots of bling in the cockpit. Big Ole fart can exhaust! YUp perfect. But runs out of gas around 85 mph. The 991 will pull and pull right through 170
Old 07-23-2014, 05:11 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clangpap, I loved your post. In 1963 I started driving with an MGTD with a Volvo B-16 engine. I believe I could identify the smell of a burning English wiring loom to this day. I never bought another English car but I did own many English bikes so I am a slow learner.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:27 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stop hating English cars! When did anyone hear of a TVR breaking down or an Austin Allegro being outpaced on the Nurburgring? The MGB was watertight and the Jag XJS had the electrical reliability of a nuclear warhead... Well someone had to make Italian cars look reliable ...
Old 07-23-2014, 06:36 PM
clangpap
Instructor

Originally Posted by solomonschris
I never bought another English car but I did own many English bikes so I am a slow learner.
I had a Triumph in the garage for 30+ years - that's slow learning. Drove it year round in university - had the seals in the clutch slave cylinder go out at -30 one morning - car started, no clutch. Fixed it from inside the car on the front street by removing the transmission tunnel .

Sold it to an enthusiast from Edmonton who was delighted with the condition and the fact everything worked. I tend to keep cars for a long time...
Old 07-23-2014, 06:42 PM
clangpap
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
Stop hating English cars! When did anyone hear of a TVR breaking down or an Austin Allegro being outpaced on the Nurburgring? The MGB was watertight and the Jag XJS had the electrical reliability of a nuclear warhead... Well someone had to make Italian cars look reliable ...
I laughed out loud.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:48 PM
Weim911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clangpap
I laughed out loud.
Sell the car. If you don't love a 100k plus car then you should get rid of it.

Yesterday, I pulled a 1.09g left turn at 9:15pm. That put a smile on my face. This car always puts a smile on my face. I'm hoping that one day I have the ***** to turn off the traction control. Even at 1.09g, my c4s had some rear end "wiggle" that made my drive exciting. I love it and if you don't, then sell the thing and get a 100+k car that you do love.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:06 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

This is a rather entertaining thread...but in a sense I actually kind of agree...and I've driven just about everything...I still LOVE the 991 and their performance is simply incredible, but they generally aren't too thrilling in comparison to some of the older models...and I acted on my feelings...sold my 991 GT3 for my now current 997.2 RS and couldn't be any happier...period. I'd suggest moving to one of the older GT models yourself!
Old 07-23-2014, 09:09 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Time for the mods to kill this thread.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:26 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
After a decade of owning Porsches I finally got my first 911 -- a 991 C2S with sport exhaust, sport plus seats, sport PASM, etc. To be honest - it's nearly as boring as the Nissan GTR I drove in Dubai other than the noise and the fact that the car actually feels like a quality machine whereas the GTR felt like an upgraded turbocharged version of the G37x I had owned with almost the exact same interior and exterior quality befitting a $40,000 car instead of a $90,000 one.

The steering is numb. The PDK is boring but works so well that the manual mode feels almost pointless. The car is uninspiring in every way other than looks and the overall build quality.

It's like a hot chick that you're super excited to have sex with until you get in bed with her and she just lays there like a slug.

It's no wonder the prices of 993s and older GT3s are going to the moon.

"Porsche - there was no substitute. Now it's just any other Volkswagen-owned brand."
You have owned Porsches for 10 years yet this is your first 911. Please tell us what Porsches you did own since the 991S is such a bore. I am on my 7th new Porsche since 1983 and this 991S is the best I have had. But again what do I know after 31 years?(That goes back to the time when you were still with your dad and had not met your mother yet) Please enlighten me and the membership.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:04 PM
Weim911
Instructor

Originally Posted by petee1997
I am on my 7th new Porsche since 1983 and this 991S is the best I have had. But again what do I know after 31 years?(That goes back to the time when you were still with your dad and had not met your mother yet) Please enlighten me and the membership.
That's the funniest thing I've heard on this forum so far in 4 months. I laughed for a solid 5 minutes until I cried. Petee1997 you are my hero!
Old 07-24-2014, 12:25 PM
One911
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by petee1997
You have owned Porsches for 10 years yet this is your first 911. Please tell us what Porsches you did own since the 991S is such a bore. I am on my 7th new Porsche since 1983 and this 991S is the best I have had. But again what do I know after 31 years?(That goes back to the time when you were still with your dad and had not met your mother yet) Please enlighten me and the membership.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:25 PM
TrackFan
Banned

I'll tell you what's boring.

Someone buys a 911 without really checking it out. Then he's bored with it, and has a need to come on a forum to tell everybody how bad he screwed up.

Sell it, and buy another Subaru.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:35 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackFan
I'll tell you what's boring.

Someone buys a 911 without really checking it out. Then he's bored with it, and has a need to come on a forum to tell everybody how bad he screwed up.

Sell it, and buy another Subaru.
Good grief. If you think you get the opportunity to "really check out" a car in a thirty minute or less test drive - you're full of ****. I liked the car just fine the first few days I had it. Then the noise and the looks of it went away and I was left with the boring unsatisfying ride.

Quick Reply: Just got my first 911 -- a total snore