Sponsored by:

Just got my first 911 -- a total snore

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 11:37 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by petee1997
You have owned Porsches for 10 years yet this is your first 911. Please tell us what Porsches you did own since the 991S is such a bore. I am on my 7th new Porsche since 1983 and this 991S is the best I have had. But again what do I know after 31 years?(That goes back to the time when you were still with your dad and had not met your mother yet) Please enlighten me and the membership.
I've had a Boxster and pair of first gen Caymans - base and S.

Please -- with all those years under your belt I'm sure you'd be able to come up with a better joke than what I heard back in grade school.

Last edited by destaccado; 07-25-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:39 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I liked the RLer who suggested the STi. PERFECT car for this guy!! Lots of Noise, lots of bling in the cockpit. Big Ole fart can exhaust! YUp perfect. But runs out of gas around 85 mph. The 991 will pull and pull right through 170
Fart can exhaust? The STI sounds a lot like my father's 944 Turbo actually. Not very surprising considering it's the same displacement turbocharged Boxer motor. Great cars actually - blast to drive - and lots of guys on this board own them. It's unfortunate the interiors are so cheap but for 35k new you can't have everything. I would say it's definitely more fun to drive than the 991 on American roads minus the noise.

...quite frankly -- you missed the entire point. Who cares if the 991 pulls and pulls through 170 if it's boring to drive around town. I already said it was fun to drive on the autobahn.

Do I think a STI is a better car than a 991? No; but it's a much better sports car for the price it's at.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:49 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mi650
Ah, I see. Avis dropped you on the Autobahn, then picked you up from there. You never drove it around town.
Yes. When you're staying in the countryside and fly into the Frankfurt airport which is right on the Autobahn that's almost how it is actually.

I'm sticking with what I said before. The 991 is boring to drive slow -- a boulevard cruiser -- a problem previous generations of 911 that I've driven don't have.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:06 AM
Mark1996
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the point of this thread? The OP has decided that the 991 is not much of a sports car for the price. Ok, he is entitled to his opinion. I like my 991 but I am not going to promote it as a raw challenging sports car when driven legally on the road. In this regard, I agree with the OP.

If the OP is attempting to make some members here defensive about their 991 purchase, he may have succeeded to a certain extent. However, this same sort of discussion happens when Leica owners are asked to justify paying over $5k when a $1.5k Sony camera appears to take better photos. People buy Porsches(and Leicas) because they like them for a whole bunch of reasons. Some of the reasons, such as build quality and history, have nothing to do with perceived performance.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:19 AM
One911
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Fart can exhaust? The STI sounds a lot like my father's 944 Turbo actually. Not very surprising considering it's the same displacement turbocharged Boxer motor. Great cars actually - blast to drive - and lots of guys on this board own them. It's unfortunate the interiors are so cheap but for 35k new you can't have everything. I would say it's definitely more fun to drive than the 991 on American roads minus the noise.

...quite frankly -- you missed the entire point. Who cares if the 991 pulls and pulls through 170 if it's boring to drive around town. I already said it was fun to drive on the autobahn.

Do I think a STI is a better car than a 991? No; but it's a much better sports car for the price it's at.

Bull**** I'm younger than you owned more cars than you one of them being an STI. Of those cars the STI was one of the least involving I've ever owned.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:10 AM
ruhlich
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado

The 944T has a boxer engine???? I don't think so.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:12 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This thread is a total snore - can we put it to bed now.

OP made his point, hopefully he feels better for sharing. Move along, nothing to see here.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:17 AM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark 1996 makes many valid points. In agreement. Close the thread now!
Old 07-25-2014, 01:20 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The beauty of the 991 is that you can drive it in traffic comfortably and just lope around without a fuss, and moments later find a open mountain pass and let her rip. I don't want to gallop and sputter around town to draw attention to myself.

I get it that you want to stir the pot by calling the 991 a old fuddy duddies car for the old at heart. At some point it does appear you are not just seeking attention anymore and have transitioned into a need for abuse.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:47 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by One911
Bull**** I'm younger than you owned more cars than you one of them being an STI. Of those cars the STI was one of the least involving I've ever owned.
I disagree about the STI. Regardless, I find it interesting that you somehow know how many cars I've owned or that if you have owned more cars -- it would matter or I'd care? lol

My dick is bigger than yours and my girlfriend is hotter. See how this works? Good grief.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:49 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanderfalke
The beauty of the 991 is that you can drive it in traffic comfortably and just lope around without a fuss, and moments later find a open mountain pass and let her rip. I don't want to gallop and sputter around town to draw attention to myself.

I get it that you want to stir the pot by calling the 991 a old fuddy duddies car for the old at heart. At some point it does appear you are not just seeking attention anymore and have transitioned into a need for abuse.
Well perhaps when I move to an area with open mountain passes I'll be in agreement with you. Again you've pointed out that the 991 is fun to drive fast on good roads -- I haven't disagreed with that -- in fact I supported it on the first page. Regardless, a new 911 probably isn't the car for avoiding attention. Mine seems to get plenty of that.

"calling the 991 a old fuddy duddies car for the old at heart" - hardly. I'm sure it's the best daily driver 911 that's ever been made. Unfortunately, it's hardly the previous generation 911's and in my view has finally moved away from sports car to GT. Nothing wrong with wanting to own such a car.

I'm not surprised a bunch of guys who spent 100k on their car are vigorously defending it. I simply think the car isn't for me and next time I'm home I'll be putting it up for sale. The market already demonstrates this version of 911 is less valuable than many of the others for some of the exact reasons I'm giving so the "abuse" from a group of guys defending their investment hardly bothers me.

Last edited by destaccado; 07-25-2014 at 02:05 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:23 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark1996
What is the point of this thread? The OP has decided that the 991 is not much of a sports car for the price. Ok, he is entitled to his opinion. I like my 991 but I am not going to promote it as a raw challenging sports car when driven legally on the road. In this regard, I agree with the OP.

If the OP is attempting to make some members here defensive about their 991 purchase, he may have succeeded to a certain extent. However, this same sort of discussion happens when Leica owners are asked to justify paying over $5k when a $1.5k Sony camera appears to take better photos. People buy Porsches(and Leicas) because they like them for a whole bunch of reasons. Some of the reasons, such as build quality and history, have nothing to do with perceived performance.
Thanks Mark. I'm actually not trying to make anyone defend their purchase. I can see why the 991 is desirable.

...but we already have 18 circle jerk threads here about how happy people are with their new 991 purchase and I'm genuinely happy for those individuals - my experience is simply different. No doubt what I'm saying is simply what a lot of guys holding onto their old Porsches and driving up the prices to obscene levels are thinking.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:43 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you finally buy a 993 after looking on eBay for 3 years and becoming a "self proclaimed internet expert" (your words not mine)?
Old 07-25-2014, 03:55 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mondrian
Did you finally buy a 993 after looking on eBay for 3 years and becoming a "self proclaimed internet expert" (your words not mine)?
Nope. Flew out and looked at a couple - had 4 PPIs. The last one had a broken odometer and damage repair to the front bumper that the 1-owner "didn't know" about. In fact, all the problems with the older cars are why I finally broke down and bought the 991.

You must have a lot of time on your hands. Thanks for asking.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:57 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Compromising on your dream car is never a good idea as it can never meet your expectations, by the look of it even the 993 can't live up to that expectation otherwise you would have pulled the trigger after all that time.

I guess the search for you continues while we all have a huge smile on our face. Good luck and hope you get one of our smiles soon.

BTW yes I do have a lot of time, you should see some of my other posts!

Last edited by Mondrian; 07-25-2014 at 07:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Just got my first 911 -- a total snore