Sponsored by:

Just got my first 911 -- a total snore

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 11:03 AM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Good grief. If you think you get the opportunity to "really check out" a car in a thirty minute or less test drive - you're full of ****. I liked the car just fine the first few days I had it. Then the noise and the looks of it went away and I was left with the boring unsatisfying ride.

I'm not disagreeing with you on the 911 2S. My taste is in the GT3 RS. However, I didn't buy a 2S, and unlike you. I would have tested it much more to see if I like it as a DD. I would at least have gotten a manual to make it more interesting to drive.

Take the car to the track. Maybe you'll like it better there.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:19 AM
rlhyde
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I suspect destaccado is a ringer. I can't imagine anyone not loving the 991. Maybe destaccado really bought a Camaro and is hoping to convince himself it is a "sports car?"
Old 07-25-2014, 01:00 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Not a big deal. He is either sincere or a troll. I love my 991. It is my forth 911 starting with my 1988 carrera 3.2. There is NO doubt it has become more of a GT and I love that. But that's me and people are different. If he is a troll then who cares anyway. If he is sincere then the answer is a GT3. Forget the Camaro BS. A GT3 has all the goodness he wants in a DD but has more of the rawness he seems to want. Not that much more expensive. Isn't that why they make a GT3? If you read the GT3 forums many owners were given Carrera's to drive. Many enjoyed the loaner but lamented about the lack of rawness/sound and general excitement that a GT3 offers. I prefer mine. Mine is a DD but others use a GT3 as a DD. I do agree with the OP about 1 thing. Even a prolonged test drive doesn't reveal a cars true nature. I won't take his dis-satisfaction personally.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:24 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A test drive should put a big *** smile on your face, or you may get bored after you buy it.

No smile...no buy.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:38 PM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondrian
Did you finally buy a 993 after looking on eBay for 3 years and becoming a "self proclaimed internet expert" (your words not mine)?

Nope. Flew out and looked at a couple - had 4 PPIs. The last one had a broken odometer and damage repair to the front bumper that the 1-owner "didn't know" about. In fact, all the problems with the older cars are why I finally broke down and bought the 991.

You must have a lot of time on your hands. Thanks for asking.

++++++++++

Let me get this straight. You flew out to look at a couple 993s, paid for 4 PPIs, and then decided to spend $100k+ on a new car? I bought my 993 for $32k and anticipate putting $10k into it over my first 3 years of ownership to get it back up to snuff. You could have bought 2 good condition 993s and fixed them up to exactly your specifications for less than what you spent on your non-thrilling 991.

Unbelievable. Next time you want to spend some money, please call me. I'm more than happy to sell you whatever you want at a ridiculous markup.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:57 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Pics?
Old 07-25-2014, 04:41 PM
TTRob
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand where the OP is coming from. Many modern sports cars lack character when driven at normal road speeds. They have very little (or none) of the charming motorsport-type idiosyncrasies that the older cars had...tingly vibrations, lively steering and chassis feel, mechanical sounds, etc. Driving the new cars slowly, even briskly, they're almost too perfectly refined and in control. Of course, they're also capable of fantastic performance when pushed. All this is extremely impressive engineering, but it doesn't make a very engaging or exciting 5 - 7 tenths car. On most US roads and highways, this is the furthest one can safely and responsibly push a car. On the European Autobahns, one can enjoy these modern sports cars a lot more.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:33 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Yes. When you're staying in the countryside and fly into the Frankfurt airport which is right on the Autobahn that's almost how it is actually. I'm sticking with what I said before. The 991 is boring to drive slow -- a boulevard cruiser -- a problem previous generations of 911 that I've driven don't have.
Deleted post.

Last edited by BlackBeauty; 07-25-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:54 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
Ok, I can't take it anymore. When you rent from Avis in Germany they have a provision that precludes renters from taking the car to a track. They put a type of LoJack in the cars more to track it in case it's stolen, but if you're on the track Avis calls you - either you return the car or the Polizie come and get it. Then you pay a minimum $5k fine if the car is returned perfectly.

LoJack wasn't working that day? Just show us a picture of your slip from the 'Ring with your car and the times run.

By the way, the 'Ring officials also verify that it's your car or it's from an approved rental group- of which Avis is not a member.
Not that I am agreeing with the OP in any way, shape or form, but I don't think he ever said he tracked his rental...just took it on the Autobahn.

And I will say it again ( to the original poster ) either sell your car to someone who will appreciate it more than you ( and I'm sure at a big $$$ loss ) of find roads where you can enjoy the car.

It actually has a dual personality. And does both quite well. Cruiser around town and true sports car in the canyons and the open roads.

Good luck!
Old 07-25-2014, 09:42 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

Sorry about that - misread it.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:05 PM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

There is only one word for the OP:

Miata

It is without question more exciting to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
Take this to heart and go find a Miata that suits you.
We will continue to enjoy (most if not all aspects of) our 991's, and you will get some money back from your error. We will not be offended!

Good luck!
Old 07-25-2014, 10:50 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The OP liked his Cayman and he would do well to look at the new GTS equipped the way that makes him happy.

That could be the solution to his problem.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:59 PM
BasaltBlack911
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are thirty or so and can't appreciate the thrill of driving a S 911 I feel sorry for you. Somehow, I don't think it's the car that is boring.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:46 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Mpls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondrian
Did you finally buy a 993 after looking on eBay for 3 years and becoming a "self proclaimed internet expert" (your words not mine)?

Nope. Flew out and looked at a couple - had 4 PPIs. The last one had a broken odometer and damage repair to the front bumper that the 1-owner "didn't know" about. In fact, all the problems with the older cars are why I finally broke down and bought the 991.

You must have a lot of time on your hands. Thanks for asking.

++++++++++

Let me get this straight. You flew out to look at a couple 993s, paid for 4 PPIs, and then decided to spend $100k+ on a new car? I bought my 993 for $32k and anticipate putting $10k into it over my first 3 years of ownership to get it back up to snuff. You could have bought 2 good condition 993s and fixed them up to exactly your specifications for less than what you spent on your non-thrilling 991.

Unbelievable. Next time you want to spend some money, please call me. I'm more than happy to sell you whatever you want at a ridiculous markup.
Let's get it straight for you then -- a black/black 993 C2S with the same 7,000 miles my car had at purchase would most likely cost north of $100,000 whereas I paid below that. Not everyone wants to buy a beater 993 and fix it up. So please -- spare me.

This is my car. I've already made my points about the car. For everyone that likes theirs - I'm genuinely happy for them.

Last edited by destaccado; 07-26-2014 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:16 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by petee1997
The OP liked his Cayman and he would do well to look at the new GTS equipped the way that makes him happy.

That could be the solution to his problem.

Unfortunately - while I agree the Cayman GTS looks like a great car and probably ticks all the boxes there's a snob aspect to the Cayman. People tend to be "haters"

"Why didn't you get the 911"

"That's the girl Porsche"

People wanting to race you in cars as cheap as Dodge Neon SRTs... etc...

I heard that and more during my Cayman ownership but haven't heard a single negative comment on the 911 - everyone loves it but me

I'm waiting for a good deal on a 997.2 GT3 variant or maybe I'll finally find that perfect 993.

Quick Reply: Just got my first 911 -- a total snore