Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Kids these days........
Old 07-22-2014, 08:38 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 448 Likes on 198 Posts

Sell it. Move on. Get that fully loaded Mustang.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:10 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Hardly what I'm saying. I was simply making the point I have experience with 911's and am well aware of the differences in models. The boring traits escaped me because my prior experience with the 991 had been driving it on the autobahn. It's a fantastic autobahn cruiser. Of note - women love it too. ...but if you want a car that's fun to fool around with on American backroads with speed limits -- the car severely disappoints.

The 991 feels like exactly what Porsche intended it to be - a grand touring sporty car for the 50y/o and rising Asian market that buys them.

I had more fun driving my boy racer 2012 WRX STI.

Ah, I see. Avis dropped you on the Autobahn, then picked you up from there. You never drove it around town.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:51 PM
bboerit
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

What a tool.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:52 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A two step stop snoring solution:
1) Sell the 991
2) Buy a 1,200 lb, 300 hp Caterham Seven

Then you can join the USA7s site and complain about your car being too uncomfortable and direct....

Last edited by SDaddy; 07-22-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:48 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

There are alot of holes in this story. The OP says that he buys his first Porsche 911 and its a bore. Then he says his dad couldnt put 11 kids through college. You would think that a guy who came out of a family of 11 would appreciate what it takes to buy a $120,000 car. THUSLY you would think a kid coming out of a family of 11 would have TEST DRIVEN all the cars in this class and would have been really comfortable with his choice. Unless he doesnt appreciate the money he earns and just likes to throw it away.

Just in the 991 class I drove a 911 turbo, a 911 turbo S, the 50th 911, the 911 C4S, and a 911 targa. I knew after the 50th that it was the car for me after spending the last 12 years in the 911 including the last 5 in the 997.s PDK and 5 more years in a 997.1 GT3 and a highly modified by Olaf Manthey 996 GT3 So Close to a Cup Car.
The first thought in my mind in getting in the 991 that it was a WELL developed evolution of what the 911 needs to be as it becomes more modern.
Just last week I was in Nampa Idaho and I drove a new 2015 GTR at Bronco Motors and I dont remember much about my first GTR but this new one was really clunky compared to the other cars there was a mechanical interruption I just didnt care for. I also took a peek at the Jag. I think this is probably the car for the OP if this isnt a troll. Its good looking loud and not as sophisticated as the 911. You can lay down tire stripes all day long with the 550 hp supercharged motor. It weighs 4000lbs so it doesnt get around the track very well but it looks good not doing it. I had a Jag sales man ask me why on EARTH would I chose Porsche when the Jag has more HP and Torque, and I said it also has a 1000lbs more FOR FREE!!! the interior is more Playstation which a 30 year old may understand more than the pertinent information presented on the Porsche dials. I went by the Chevy Dealer in Boise while we were there and I had to go through the 3rd degree to get to go out in the New Vette. They didnt believe I had a $100k 911 back home even though I showed up in a 2012 BMW X5M, so I just wasnt impressed at all before I even got in the car. At the Porsche dealer, I asked if We could drive the 2015 Turbo S on the floor. It took 3 minutes to get the car off the show room floor. The Vette was in a maintenance bay and it was dirty. It looked as though the sales guys took it to the golf course alot. It also had some kind of thermo plate on it for $1800 more. Sheesh you would think they were selling Geo Metros. Not a good situation. And just not a car that stands up to the 911. I would have really liked to drive the Z06 but they arent there yet.
But just like the video says, the 911 is the best drivers car in the world. I think the OP would really like a Chevy Camaro RS if not that Jag FType Coupe R. The girls in my town love the car, and they are ALWAYS racing and losing to my X5M
Old 07-23-2014, 04:28 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
There are alot of holes in this story. The OP says that he buys his first Porsche 911 and its a bore. Then he says his dad couldnt put 11 kids through college. You would think that a guy who came out of a family of 11 would appreciate what it takes to buy a $120,000 car. THUSLY you would think a kid coming out of a family of 11 would have TEST DRIVEN all the cars in this class and would have been really comfortable with his choice. Unless he doesnt appreciate the money he earns and just likes to throw it away.

Just in the 991 class I drove a 911 turbo, a 911 turbo S, the 50th 911, the 911 C4S, and a 911 targa. I knew after the 50th that it was the car for me after spending the last 12 years in the 911 including the last 5 in the 997.s PDK and 5 more years in a 997.1 GT3 and a highly modified by Olaf Manthey 996 GT3 So Close to a Cup Car.
The first thought in my mind in getting in the 991 that it was a WELL developed evolution of what the 911 needs to be as it becomes more modern.
Just last week I was in Nampa Idaho and I drove a new 2015 GTR at Bronco Motors and I dont remember much about my first GTR but this new one was really clunky compared to the other cars there was a mechanical interruption I just didnt care for. I also took a peek at the Jag. I think this is probably the car for the OP if this isnt a troll. Its good looking loud and not as sophisticated as the 911. You can lay down tire stripes all day long with the 550 hp supercharged motor. It weighs 4000lbs so it doesnt get around the track very well but it looks good not doing it. I had a Jag sales man ask me why on EARTH would I chose Porsche when the Jag has more HP and Torque, and I said it also has a 1000lbs more FOR FREE!!! the interior is more Playstation which a 30 year old may understand more than the pertinent information presented on the Porsche dials. I went by the Chevy Dealer in Boise while we were there and I had to go through the 3rd degree to get to go out in the New Vette. They didnt believe I had a $100k 911 back home even though I showed up in a 2012 BMW X5M, so I just wasnt impressed at all before I even got in the car. At the Porsche dealer, I asked if We could drive the 2015 Turbo S on the floor. It took 3 minutes to get the car off the show room floor. The Vette was in a maintenance bay and it was dirty. It looked as though the sales guys took it to the golf course alot. It also had some kind of thermo plate on it for $1800 more. Sheesh you would think they were selling Geo Metros. Not a good situation. And just not a car that stands up to the 911. I would have really liked to drive the Z06 but they arent there yet.
But just like the video says, the 911 is the best drivers car in the world. I think the OP would really like a Chevy Camaro RS if not that Jag FType Coupe R. The girls in my town love the car, and they are ALWAYS racing and losing to my X5M
There's zero holes in my story but there's a lot of holes in your logic. I'm not gonna write a sequel book to yours to counter it all though. You're right -- some 30 y/o "kids" want a car a bit more raw than the 991 has became -- if the beancounters decided it fits for old guys decades past their prime it's possible that's the market Porsche intended. See what I did there?

Quit acting like I kicked your dog. Enjoy your car.

Last edited by destaccado; 07-23-2014 at 04:48 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:53 AM
Mechanic
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
I sort of understand where the OP is coming from. Waay back in '95 the motoring press was falling all over themselves about the new six cylinder BMW M3. At the time I had an '89 turbo cab that I was unable to drive fast without perspiring a qt. through each palm. I sold the turbo and bought a new M3 without even driving it. I disliked the car after a few weeks. It was so smooth and fast and quiet and capable that it wasn't much fun until you were pushing it a bit. If you are driving on public roads around these parts in an M3 and you are pushing, you will likely end up in jail. The older 911's were a more tactile experience. The wheel danced in your hand, the brake pedal was like stepping on a brick and there was an element of adventure even at 7/10ths. Ther interior was more intimate. You could touch the base of the windshield without leaning forward. I even like the floor hinged pedals. The car had a handmade, carved from stone feel about it. The new car is better in every non subjective way. It is faster, more economical, more comfortable, quieter, requires less service, safer, and if you take it to the track it will be no contest. Still there is an element of that '95 M3 in the 991. It is much more fun to drive at 6 or 7/10ths than the M3, but it is a GT car at those velocities. It can became a real state of the art sports car when conditions exist that allow it to show its stuff.
I miss my 993tt but wouldn't sell this to get another. The pisser is I sold it last August. It has gone up in value about 35K while the 991 has gone down roughly the same amount.
I think taking your car to the track is the best advice you've been given. You will learn a great deal about your car, and maybe a little something about yourself. No matter what, you should feel fortunate to own such a car....Cheers....Chris
QFT. My favorites, btw, are the '87-89 Carreras. The cacophony of sounds, the tactile feel of the controls, the loading and unloading of the suspension -- God, I miss all that. All of another time.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:00 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

After a decade of owning Porsches I finally got my first 911 -- a 991 C2S with sport exhaust, sport plus seats, sport PASM, etc. To be honest - it's nearly as boring as the Nissan GTR I drove in Dubai other than the noise and the fact that the car actually feels like a quality machine whereas the GTR felt like an upgraded turbocharged version of the G37x I had owned with almost the exact same interior and exterior quality befitting a $40,000 car instead of a $90,000 one.

The steering is numb. The PDK is boring but works so well that the manual mode feels almost pointless. The car is uninspiring in every way other than looks and the overall build quality.

It's like a hot chick that you're super excited to have sex with until you get in bed with her and she just lays there like a slug.

It's no wonder the prices of 993s and older GT3s are going to the moon.

"Porsche - there was no substitute. Now it's just any other Volkswagen-owned brand."
Easy, stop complaining, sell your car and get another one !
Old 07-23-2014, 08:42 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Maybe the car is a bore or a snore, but how does somebody who professes so much Porsche experience get snockered so easily? And why admit it publicly? Doesn't seem too smart or experienced, just a case of buyer's remorse. Sell it and move on, quietly.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:48 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^Excellent advice!!
Old 07-23-2014, 09:55 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,401 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Sell it.

Buy a base Cayman. Ship to the guys in Florida, and have 'em drop a 991S PowerKit motor into it.

430 HP. Mid engine. 300-400 pounds lighter than a 911.

There's always a faster car.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:02 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

go backwards, get an air cooled.

Last edited by kosmo; 07-23-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:55 PM
walterwu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's zero holes in my story but there's a lot of holes in your logic. I'm not gonna write a sequel book to yours to counter it all though. You're right -- some 30 y/o "kids" want a car a bit more raw than the 991 has became -- if the beancounters decided it fits for old guys decades past their prime it's possible that's the market Porsche intended. See what I did there?

Quit acting like I kicked your dog. Enjoy your car.
Could care less what others think about my car, but what were you expecting with the story you posted? 3 days on the Autobahn, buys a car, and then complains that it's not fun in non-Autobahn environments? That's like saying the car is fun on the track, but not as a daily driver, which can be entirely true and many on this site would probably agree with you on that.

The question then becomes your judgment in buying the car based on your 3 day experience. Was is just temporary infatuation with the car based upon a 3 day rental, then you got bored? Did you literally sleep and eat on the shoulder of the Autobahn for 3 days, and not experience or consider the daily driving aspects of car, or only drive it at Nurburging the whole time? Short of that, you must have experienced regular driving on the way to the Autobahn and back, and either downplayed or ignored it. Whatever the reason, seems like you had plenty of opportunity to detect and discover that this car didn't suit your needs, but you should be surprised if people on the forum question your maturity or intentions based on what sounds like a rash decision on your part.

I hope you enjoy your next car.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:55 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,161 Likes on 696 Posts

^^^ +991. All valid and great points, to which I agree entirely.

Quick Reply: Just got my first 911 -- a total snore