Sponsored by:

Just got my first 911 -- a total snore

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 02:32 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO
I'm very sorry guys, but, after having many 911 as daily, and this, non stop for 30 years, I can only write and sign "+1" when someone wrote "PDK is boring". For me, (after 20'000 miles of Panamera 4S) YES, BIG TIME, PDK IS BORING. This is just one step in the direction of a GOOGLE Driver Less option. If you are in the market and decide to buy a Cadillac, then, OK, PDK would be great for that kind of cars. But, please, for a 911, ..this is the beginning of the end ..of Porsche.
Everything is relative... Couple a 991 to a phenomenal dual clutch sequential box .... And it's still an amazing car..
Maybe my testosterone levels aren't so high enough that I need to hold my stick all the time... Or maybe I'm just a lazy shifter... But I've never been in a car this exceptional... PDK or otherwise... I only hope everyone enjoys their car as much as I do ... Whatever the tranny.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:38 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

Well said! Drive what you love and love what you drive.

There's a great quote from a British Motoring Journalist talking about a heavily modded 964 -

"(the) Porsche 964, it's not something for everyone, but it's everything to someone."

Shakespearean worthy quote.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
Well said! Drive what you love and love what you drive.

There's a great quote from a British Motoring Journalist talking about a heavily modded 964 -

"(the) Porsche 964, it's not something for everyone, but it's everything to someone."

Shakespearean worthy quote.
+1
Old 10-12-2014, 05:00 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
I'm pretty sure that the hate on automatics came because they started to be the only option. Back in the day if you didn't want an automatic didn't have to choose one. A 7-speed manual in a Porsche 911 is an answer to a question I've never heard a 911 owner asking - anywhere (alright maybe there's a liberal politician who happens to own one). Further, if you don't think liberal politics are progressing toward driverless cars you must not be paying attention. Auto accidents are the 5th leading cause of death in America and once driverless cars are feasible and able to do everything a regular car can do more safely we'll be lucky to even have an option to take manual control of the car.
Oh I have no doubt as to the extent the sheep (and their benevolent political professional shepherds) will strive to in the name of trading liberty for security.

I just don't see the connection with automat- er, I mean PDK type transmissions in facilitating their ultimate Minority Report "pre-crime" Orwellian "safety for the greater good" totalitarian fantasies.

If anything, adaptive cruise control and "lane assist" technology are doing WAY more to further the end of drivers as we know them than PDK or any automatic could ever dream of.

Besides look at the epicenter laboratory of statist tyranny that is New York City. Proposed 20mph universal speed limit everywhere, for the safety of the precious children, of course. No automatics needed for that nonsense, as first gear is all you need. Cue his excellency now screaming from the pulpit: No one needs seven speeds to go buy milk!!!!!!
Old 10-12-2014, 05:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
Oh I have no doubt as to the extent the sheep (and their benevolent political professional shepherds) will strive to in the name of trading liberty for security.

I just don't see the connection with automat- er, I mean PDK type transmissions in facilitating their ultimate Minority Report "pre-crime" Orwellian "safety for the greater good" totalitarian fantasies.

If anything, adaptive cruise control and "lane assist" technology are doing WAY more to further the end of drivers as we know them than PDK or any automatic could ever dream of.

Besides look at the epicenter laboratory of statist tyranny that is New York City. Proposed 20mph universal speed limit everywhere, for the safety of the precious children, of course. No automatics needed for that nonsense, as first gear is all you need. Cue his excellency now screaming from the pulpit: No one needs seven speeds to go buy milk!!!!!!
bumper sticker
Old 10-13-2014, 10:57 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
I think I understand what you are trying to say. But in my opinion, 'Adaptive Cruise Control'* is the wrong boogeyman to use as your example! This technology is one of the most innovative & useful for the automobile in my lifetime! It's NOT for spirited driving on country roads or the track. But for the more utilitarian uses of the automobile (e.g. long trips from Carmel to LA or Vail to Salt Lake City) even if you own a sport car, it is an incredible piece of technological wonder! I have had it now on my old BMW (650i Vert) & MB (CL600) and I hope to experience it next on my next Porsche (which will probably be a PDK transmission car). I am also hoping that Porsche will adapt HUD, or 'Heads Up Display' (e.g. Corvette, BMW & Audi models), on their next generation 911 chassis!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

* From PAG & PCNA:
"Adaptive cruise control with Porsche Active Safe (PAS)
Available as an option, this cruise control function regulates your speed according to the distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front. A radar sensor monitors the road ahead up to a distance of 200 m. If you have set a cruising speed but have begun to gain on the vehicle in front because it is driving more slowly, this is detected by the radar sensor.

The system now reduces the speed of your vehicle at a maximum rate of 3.5 m/sec2 by restricting the throttle or by applying the brakes appropriate to the prevailing situation until the distance that you have preset is maintained. Your vehicle will now continue at a reduced speed. If the other vehicle decelerates further, adaptive cruise control will continue to reduce your cruising speed – even down to a halt.

For additional safety, if the system detects that the distance from the vehicle in front is decreasing, it will also prepare your vehicle for braking by precharging the braking system so that the brake pads are already in light contact with the brake discs. However, drivers still have to perform heavier braking themselves. As soon as the road ahead clears again, your vehicle will accelerate back up to the cruising speed originally set.

If your vehicle approaches the vehicle in front too quickly, Porsche Active Safe (PAS) will issue audible and visual warnings. In addition, the system briefly jerks the brakes and if necessary initiates target braking, with any braking pressure applied by the driver being increased within certain system limits."

Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2014, 11:08 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

While I wouldn't spec ACC I'm not against it. I'm just saying tech like that are much more likely to lead to driverless cars than PDK.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:32 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Its an innovative and useful technology, and it also does WAY more to further the end of drivers as we know them than PDK.

PDK merely relieves drivers of one utterly menial task. ACC on the other hand goes right to the heart of skills the development of which are vital to becoming a truly safe and effective driver. One of the highest and most coveted driving skills is the ability to judge the speed of moving traffic well enough to project it visually forward to where you want to be. You simply cannot pass a car safely without being able to judge where and when the pass will take place, how much road you will need, ahead of time.

Even today very few people possess these skills. For proof simply look at how many cars will line up behind one slow moving vehicle. None of them has any clue how to judge the speed of the car they want to pass, let alone their own acceleration, how much road they will need… and of course they are utterly terrified of oncoming traffic and so will almost never pass when any oncoming is visible anywhere from where they are to the horizon.

Now I realize ACC is intended for divided freeways, but the concept is the same. Nick Murray posted a great video showing ACC and how it slowed and accelerated as he changed lanes. Never once did it perform as a skilled driver would, it merely mindlessly sped up or slowed down depending on what was straight ahead.

Now here's the thing: many times when cruising, whether on two lanes or seven, the key to maintaining a steady cruise is knowing that sometimes if you go just a little bit faster you can avoid getting stuck in the situation where you're forced into going a whole lot slower.

ACC robs you of ever doing this critical thinking, eventually resulting in drivers unable to do anything but follow along. ACC is like the hunter who feeds the deer. One day the deer wake up and find they are in a pen. A pen of their own making. But a pen nonetheless.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:48 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
ACC robs you of ever doing this critical thinking, eventually resulting in drivers unable to do anything but follow along. ACC is like the hunter who feeds the deer. One day the deer wake up and find they are in a pen. A pen of their own making. But a pen nonetheless.
Chuck: What flavor were you drinking tonight?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2014, 04:57 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Don't worry. I know this could never happen to anyone here. We all put WR to shame. Its all those other people.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:32 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would presume in the next few years when autonomous vehicles are perfected (Johnny Cab), insurance companies will charge a premimum for the option of driving the car yourself.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:25 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

400 mile journey today included 2 hours in crawling roadworks... Dark, wet and oh so slow... ACC was my angel... Not much chance of exploring driver skills more extensive than 2mph...3 mph... 2 mph... Oooo 4 mph... Sport+..... Oh darn... 2 mph...
15 mins back home and I want some funny juice

Quick Reply: Just got my first 911 -- a total snore