Sponsored by:

991 issues update and lemon law filling new video

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 11:55 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Let me get this right... I expose myself if I plug into the cigarette lighter socket a multi-plug to run the power for two cameras and a radar detector? Really?

I can see the issue if I start slicing into the car's wire harness... but plug-in stuff, come on!!
I wasn't talking about simple plug-in stuff obviously, but hardwiring systems, it was a more involved installation that just plugging it into the cigarette lighter. You also will be ok if you put a sticker on your car.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:09 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
I wasn't talking about simple plug-in stuff obviously, but hardwiring systems, it was a more involved installation that just plugging it into the cigarette lighter. You also will be ok if you put a sticker on your car.
I know... just having some fun.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:34 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Wachuko
And then again in '09, correct?
oh yeah. " Theres nothing wrong w/ the IMS but we got rid of it."
Old 04-22-2014, 05:58 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
I rooted for Nick, and I think Porsche handled it badly, but anytime you start modding you expose yourself to issues. I come from a heavily modded e92 M3 and rocked a CEL on a regular basis... and although a radar system and cameras are fairly minor you do run the risk of complications. And unfortunately that gives the manufacture an easy way out, or at least the opportunity to give the customer some ****. So if you don't ever wanna deal with warranty issues - leave the car alone.
Nick stated earlier in this thread that his cameras and radar detector were installed by the Porsche dealer, that they were simple 12v connections and that Porsche corporate had no issue with them. They were not related to the problems with his car.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:16 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jastx
Nick stated earlier in this thread that his cameras and radar detector were installed by the Porsche dealer, that they were simple 12v connections and that Porsche corporate had no issue with them. They were not related to the problems with his car.
I thought it was a remote Passport installation, wherein you have the sensors in the bumpers and you have to run wires through the firewall, bulkhead, etc. That's a big deal.

And even "simple 12V" connections can cause issues if they're not done properly.

Not saying that these were the cause of the problems, just sayin'...
Old 04-23-2014, 09:34 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

But if the dealer installs it, doesn't that mean it is blessed by the company? i.e. they can't void the warranty?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:20 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Somewhere or other in this long saga its been clearly stated that warranty coverage is only voided by aftermarket work that directly affects whatever's failing. Also Nick said this was never an issue with the dealer, PCNA or Porsche. It seems that one of the more common fears is doing some innocuous thing that later voids the warranty. Doesn't work that way.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:32 AM
blinsc
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlanka
But if the dealer installs it, doesn't that mean it is blessed by the company? i.e. they can't void the warranty?
Not clear who you mean by "the company" - the dealer or Porsche?

If it's an aftermarket part installed by the dealer, it's probably blessed by the dealer, and possibly the manufacturer of the aftermarket part, but there's no way Porsche AG is covering the repair costs if the part itself is found to be problem.

It's pretty hard to point the blame at one party in this case because some of the issues may have been made worse by the dealer, but it's unlikely they had anything to do with the problems that started everything... the broken rear parking sensor, the whistling from the door, etc.

For all we know, Porsche may have reached a deal with the dealer to split the cost of the buy-back.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:05 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Why would a dealer install anything that could void the warranty?
Old 04-23-2014, 11:15 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Greed and stupidity.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:52 AM
blinsc
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's because most of the aftermarket parts that dealers do offer to install have a low likelihood of affecting the rest of the car: exhausts, hardwired radar detectors, paint protection. I've heard of some dealers doing aftermarket engine tunes that could have a serious effect on the powertrain warranty, but the implied assumption is if the problems are caused by the tune, the manufacturer of the tune will pay the cost of the repairs. There are some horror stories of finger pointing in those cases, but that's another thread.

A low risk/high profit aftermarket part (eg, exhaust) makes sense because they can just eat the repairs in the off-chance that something does go wrong.

Also, you can't look at "the warranty" as a whole - only the affected parts and systems will be voided by aftermarket replacement/modification.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:34 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

What I want to know is.... Nick, when is the new car coming in??
Old 04-25-2014, 06:26 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 196 Posts

I also have the crank positioning sensor issue like the OP. The dealer replaced the sensor but my car still has trouble starting and it stalls every once in a while. Every time I take it to the dealer they can't replicate the problem. Intermittent issues are the worst. Does anyone know if Porsche has some type of black box that can record this data? Because the ECU hasn't been logging anything.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:09 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Anybody heard where Nick is with this? I tried PM, starting to think he's been burned too badly to try again...
Old 05-06-2014, 02:25 AM
mb97tts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw a video where he is going with a BMW .. M3 or m4

I am sure BMW reached out and is getting him a car post haste

His video reviews will be viewed like crazy

Hope he gets a great car and enjoys it

God knows he deserves it

Hope it was a lower level person at BMW that said " let's get this guy a car"

Quick Reply: 991 issues update and lemon law filling new video