TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Time for a new Dealership.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:14 AM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

As mentioned - time for a new dealer. I cannot imagine spending hard earned money with any business that did not respect my time.

Our local Toyota dealer sets the bar for doing it right....every time, without exception. The Porsche dealer, not so much.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:03 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the time it takes to do this thread I could have the hammered out the basics of the deal. I love my car and when when it finally appeared on the lot it was nailed down quick without tipping my hand on how much i wanted it. Not much discussion on the car itself and why it was needed asap.The real trick is finding the right performance options and colors without stuff you do not want. I never thought I had to have one real quick that i did not drive . When the one finally shows up drive it, buy it, take it home. Do not let a salesperson get in the way call the GM.

Last edited by wanderfalke; 03-22-2014 at 03:22 AM. Reason: to blunt
Old 03-22-2014, 05:02 AM
Car25
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It might be best to deal in person with your credit worthy checkbook.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:23 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 456 Likes on 295 Posts

Re: "i'm sure she gets a handful of calls every day with someone promising they're a serious buyer. who knows what the number of those calls are that actually turn into a real sale."

So what? If only 1 in 100 translates into a sale, so be it. She is in the wrong job. At least, based on OP's description. Who knows, though. Maybe he sounded like a lunatic on the phone, and it set off her "nut case" alarms.

However, I've had all sorts of horrible dealership stories over the years. Once, I went into a dealership, checkbook in hand. There were four sales people, all standing around drinking coffee. I could barely get anyone's attention. When I went over and said "I would like to buy that car" (pointing at one on the lot), they acted annoyed that I was interrupting their coffee break.

Another time, I asked if I could test drive a car. The salesman handed me the keys and didn't even ask for ID. He acted as if it was just too much of an effort for him to bother assisting any further than that. So, off I went in the car, by myself. About a mile or so from the dealership, the car stops... no gas! I left the car door open, walked back, put the key on a counter and said "your car's about a mile down the road", and left.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:16 AM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's amazing to me that even at Porsche dealers people get this horrible level of service, and people wonder why Tesla is trying so hard to keep a direct sales model. I had similar experiences. After dealing with one porsche dealer back and forth we came to a verbal agreement. As it was late, well after the dealers closing hours, we decided to wrap up the deal the next day. When I called to discuss in the morning an extra 10k was added to the price - more than what they even had it listed for on the internet. They acted like I was making up the price we negotiated. I walked, that car( a leftover 997 C2S) sat for another 6 months. I should have know the dealership was full of scum bags when the GM was arguing and yelling at a pregnant woman over her Cayenne.

Ended up going for a 991. A local dealer that had 35 991's in stock didn't want to budge on price, they had a demo model that I really liked the options on- they were willing to make me a great deal at $2k off list! So, off to the internet, found a car at a dealer in jersey that happened to be around the corner from my parents house. Went back and forth with a few phone calls on price and within an hour had the deal done. Flew in, drove home, easy. When I picked up the car I chatted with the GM for a few minutes, he actually knew the GM at the dealer with 35 991's in stock. He said he appreciated the business and me traveling in to get the car, but inquired as to why didn't I just buy from that local dealer? When I told him about them not budging on price, he laughed, as that same GM had just called him 2 days prior trying to offload a dozen 991's and swap them for some Cayennes. Can't make this stuff up.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:34 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

This is silly. You weren't buying a car. You had not even finalized a price, nor gave a deposit over the phone with a credit car to hold it. She farked-up too with poor follow-up and poor closing skills. Lose-lose.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:41 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

"I placed a call to the internet manager whom i emailed months before "
So you emailed her months before and then nothing?
Agreed that there was poor followup from the Dealership but if you had gone down to the dealership personally with check in hand, no doubt you would have walked out with a Porsche.
Now you have nothing but a 'Rant'
I went to Dealerships last January with check in hand, no problem placing an order.-Richard
Old 03-22-2014, 12:21 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

in 09 i called the edison porsche dealer of new jersey and gave him what i wanted...he said "we have your car here" 45 minutes later [i took a friend with me to drive back my DD car] i pull up to the dealer and guess what they do not have my car. as i was leaving i said too bad [showing them my check book] .the trenton snob shop dealer acted like it was a bother to wait on me. i finally found a dealer in PA with what i wanted [don rosen] .had the ferrari dealer in edison nj have a customer talk to me [the salesperson was too busy to get off the phone. bottom line IT IS THE SALES PERSON that suk.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:43 PM
EZ E
Pro

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

Don't deal with Porsche Dealers that act that way! The best revenge is buying elsewhere and call the GM and let them know maybe they'll be servicing your new 991 very soon. I live in Ohio and Purchased my New car at Leober in Chicago. I have no problem going where I get the best deal and great Service. My local dealer is great but their sales team is another story!!
Old 03-22-2014, 02:51 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I have been treated like a valued customer- no, even better than that, more like a fellow Porsche enthusiast- and I have been treated like a nuisance. And everything in between. I've had ones that showed a lot of interest in what I want in a Porsche, and I've had ones that seemed only to be interested in the watch on my wrist. And all at the same dealership!
Old 03-22-2014, 04:38 PM
spar10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
This is silly. You weren't buying a car. You had not even finalized a price, nor gave a deposit over the phone with a credit car to hold it. She farked-up too with poor follow-up and poor closing skills. Lose-lose.
exactly right....

for this thread to be interesting to me, i'd like to know what the sales managers side of the story is. until that happens, i really don't find there's anything "shocking" going on here.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:42 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I had a very similar experience with my local dealer. I ended up purchasing out of state where the customer service was excellent. Subsequently, in talking with other local 991 owners, I learned that three other customers experienced exactly the same thing. It's a shame some sales people can be so clueless.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:44 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

A bunch of Porsche dealerships in California.

A bunch of prospective buyers too.

This will work itself out for both parties.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:17 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ E
Don't deal with Porsche Dealers that act that way! The best revenge is buying elsewhere and call the GM and let them know maybe they'll be servicing your new 991 very soon.
Sounds like a plan, if you're looking to upgrade your car with some new dashboard rattles and oil leaks.

When it comes to dealerships, you've got to assume that the fish rots from the head down.

Quick Reply: Sales Experience - Shocking