Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sales Experience - Shocking

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 07:09 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

A real sales pro never underestimates who they might be talking to....
Old 03-22-2014, 07:31 PM
TheDatanator
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unacceptable... If she were so damn busy she should have delegated a trusted advisor to work with you on her behalf.

Let me tell you something... I just went through the exact same situation where my wife bought an Audi A5 convertible and decided she didn't like the 2.0T shackled to that CVT transmission. I called the GM of the audi dealer and asked if they would be willing to unwind the transaction on the A5 in favor is the RS5 convertible in the showroom. She asked if I could give her 2 hours to work on the numbers... Not only did she call me when she promised but she zeroed out the A5 AND worked a deal on the RS5... They could have screwed us to the wall but realized an opportunity to earn future business was in front of them. THAT Is how it's done.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:41 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 456 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Hothonda
Very true. Just look at the people here on RL who own 991s but can't spell or put together a comprehensible sentence.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:50 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 177 Posts

You already gave them one more chance than they deserved. Move on to another dealer.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:09 AM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Very true. Just look at the people here on RL who own 991s but can't spell or put together a comprehensible sentence.
Wow, judgemental much? What is your point?

Just asking,

Steve
Old 03-23-2014, 10:10 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Hothonda
True. And I always say, "everyone is in sales". Whether it be; R&D, Customer Service, IT, Accounting, HR, Operations........the list goes on. We are all in sales. Internal selling or external selling, or both. We all need to persuade, listen, solve problems, offer value, and close. ABC......always be closing!
Old 03-23-2014, 11:07 AM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know what they say…
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2014, 12:11 PM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EZ E
Don't deal with Porsche Dealers that act that way! The best revenge is buying elsewhere and call the GM and let them know maybe they'll be servicing your new 991 very soon. I live in Ohio and Purchased my New car at Leober in Chicago. I have no problem going where I get the best deal and great Service. My local dealer is great but their sales team is another story!!
That's funny. I talked to Loeber and thought they were asses. I ended up getting my car in CT, but the only Chicago Porsche dealer I wouldn't deal with was them. I'm sure it comes down to who you deal with. Every salesman is the face of the dealership.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:55 PM
blackbull
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Old 03-23-2014, 01:51 PM
budrichard
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm amazed at the lack of negotiating skills shown in this Thread.
If I walked out of every place that did not full fill my expectations, I would never accomplish anything.
I don't know of a single automotive Dealer that has not been plainly inefficient, yet I drive what I want and my vehicles are maintained they way I want.
My order went to the Dealer that gave me the discount I wanted. After that, it took 3 tries and about a month to get the PTS order I wanted.
Car was delivered perfectly from Germany, did not let Dealer do anything but diagnostics. Dealer installed bra in stead of front end wrap and then installed hood wrap incorrectly. Dealer on the third try did it correctly.
If I had walked at each occurrence, I would not have a Porsche but now I have the Porsche exactly as I want.
What does the OP have?
Nothing but an affirmation that he should continue to do business the same way by people who have no stake in seeing the OP gets a Porsche.
Get your finances in order, know exactly what you want and bring your checkbook and set aside some time for the negotiating process. Sales has all the time in the world and that is a negotiating tactic. Get yourself down to the Dealer that has the car you want. I bet I could get an agreement on price in 30 minutes. It probably would take 2 hours to close. 30 minutes to drive away.
Even paying cash with a Bank Check, it took me 2 hours to drive off and that was after I called my son to come pick me up as they would not initially do what I wanted for an Interstate Drive Away.
These people are not 'Rocket Scientists'! But they are not stupid either.
Hope you find a Porsche.-Richard
Old 03-23-2014, 02:32 PM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by budrichard
I'm amazed at the lack of negotiating skills shown in this Thread.
If I walked out of every place that did not full fill my expectations, I would never accomplish anything.
I don't know of a single automotive Dealer that has not been plainly inefficient, yet I drive what I want and my vehicles are maintained they way I want.
My order went to the Dealer that gave me the discount I wanted. After that, it took 3 tries and about a month to get the PTS order I wanted.
Car was delivered perfectly from Germany, did not let Dealer do anything but diagnostics. Dealer installed bra in stead of front end wrap and then installed hood wrap incorrectly. Dealer on the third try did it correctly.
If I had walked at each occurrence, I would not have a Porsche but now I have the Porsche exactly as I want.
What does the OP have?
Nothing but an affirmation that he should continue to do business the same way by people who have no stake in seeing the OP gets a Porsche.
Get your finances in order, know exactly what you want and bring your checkbook and set aside some time for the negotiating process. Sales has all the time in the world and that is a negotiating tactic. Get yourself down to the Dealer that has the car you want. I bet I could get an agreement on price in 30 minutes. It probably would take 2 hours to close. 30 minutes to drive away.
Even paying cash with a Bank Check, it took me 2 hours to drive off and that was after I called my son to come pick me up as they would not initially do what I wanted for an Interstate Drive Away.
These people are not 'Rocket Scientists'! But they are not stupid either.
Hope you find a Porsche.-Richard
This.

I recommend putting your big boy pants on and settling in to get the car you want at the price you want. Come the nice weather, salespeople get busy. This one doesn't seem too hungry. Should have bought one over Christmas!
Old 03-23-2014, 06:43 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
True. And I always say, "everyone is in sales". Whether it be; R&D, Customer Service, IT, Accounting, HR, Operations........the list goes on. We are all in sales. Internal selling or external selling, or both. We all need to persuade, listen, solve problems, offer value, and close. ABC......always be closing!
+1. First prize is a new 991, second prize is a new 981. Third prize is you're fired.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:50 PM
Jay13
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The internet has been a boon for the consumer, but it comes with a cost. Internet leads and cold calls just don't get a dealer's attention because there are so many consumers who just want to get a good price that they can play off of with their local dealer. The rest of us who might be legit buyers are collateral damage. Usually it's the larger volume dealers who can maybe afford to cut a better deal who field a lot of these calls.

I'm not defending the sales manager, but it's not uncommon and it's not just Porsche. Before I bought my 911, I tried very hrd to get a F430 fom a dealer in Arizona. Three calls to the Ferrari sales manager and not one call back. I walked into my local Porsche dealer knowing exactly what I wanted and had a deal in under 20 minutes. I didn't bother trying to play 3 other internet offers just to squeeze the last 1% out ofthe deal.

I'm sure some dealers are different and I suspect there is something in what you say and how you say it that makes a dealer decide whether to treat you as a serious customer or not.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:10 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think OP's is a huge over-reaction. For right or wrong, dealers still show more response to people who come in person. I made a total of 5 trips to two different dealers to get my car, and the end deal started with an internet inquiry, but the CLOSE came from going in and doing it face to face.
That said, if one dealer doesn't give you the warm fuzzies you're seeking, go elsewhere.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:30 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

A friend of mine decided that he just had to have a Porsche 911, so he has been dealing with two dealerships long distance on in-stock cars, beating them up really badly on price, just about ready to sign... and then he bailed on the whole thing. Three days later he goes to his local store and buys one that day.

When I negotiated on my current (on its way) car, my local salesman insisted that I come in to do the final negotiation rather than do it over the phone or email. It made it easier for him to get the price I wanted from the sales manager since I was there, in a chair, checkbook in hand. And so I did, and it worked out well for everyone.

You can't reasonably expect to get the same level of service via emails and phone calls, not with all of the dead leads that these people get every day.

Quick Reply: Sales Experience - Shocking