Sponsored by:

Sales Experience - Shocking

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 07:50 PM
NewportShak
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sales Experience - Shocking

So i decided yesterday to purchase a 2014 Porsche 4s cab (with all the right options for me). Without naming a dealership at the moment, I would like to let everyone know my initial experience.

Yesterday at 2 p.m. I placed a call to the internet manager whom i emailed months before and let her know that I want to immediately purchase a 2014 Porsche 4s and i am ready to make the purchase subject to a few minor kinks we could work out. I also asked how long shipping would take to my residence and she assured me one-day. I said "Great! Lets make it happen!" She requested the best form of communication for me and i stated either phone/email would work as i want to close the transaction ASAP. She confirmed my email address and assured me she would call me or email me shortly. I could sense the excitement in her voice so i did not foresee any issues. A few hours passed, which i thought was strange because most people would jump at the sale of a $140k vehicle, and i heard nothing....

At 6:15 p.m. still no call/email, so i called back. She apologized and stated it was a really busy day, customers were calling etc....she would get back to me later that evening or first thing in the morning. No problem I said but i'm here eagerly ready and willing to close the transaction....(I was thinking how odd shouldn't she have an assistant or someone reach out to me)

First thing in the morning...nothing... nada, no e-mail or call. At this point i'm thinking WTF??! Really? Someone calls and tells a SALES MANAGER they want to close the deal within 24 hours of a $140k car and they are too busy to respond or call. A buddy of mine who works for BMW sales told me to give her another chance and to call her one more time. I sucked in my pride at this point and gave her one last shot. I called and before i could say a word she stated "So sorry had our morning meetings, will have a sales rep tally the numbers and get back to you immediately"...that was almost three hours ago.

It's late afternoon now and I won't be calling back. Horrible customer service and something i wouldn't have seen coming from a highly-rated Porsche Dealership in California. Didn't know it would be so hard to close my first Porsche transaction.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:04 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Yes, it's poor form on her part. She probably lost a sale.

But what I found most interesting about this story is how you needed this NOW. Yesterday you decided you needed a car, and you wanted it right then. Not in a day or two, not in a few hours, but right this second, and the fact that your immediate need was not being met, you were really disappointed.

I bet had you walked into the dealership, you would have walked out with a car a few hours later. Perhaps that might be a better move if you need this itch scratched absolutely instantly.

Now, don't get me wrong; she dropped the ball. But I found your need for instant gratification more interesting than her missed opportunity
Old 03-21-2014, 08:13 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm shocked!
Old 03-21-2014, 08:20 PM
NewportShak
Cruisin'

Hate when that 911 itch strikes. Kept seeing 9:11 on my clock and i was like just go for it should not take long.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:26 PM
lbahoshy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm actually not really shocked. Very poor on her part. But I'm sure they get to a ton of phone calls daily - it's different if you are in the showroom with cheque in hand.

Being so anxious and expressing that may cost you getting the best price. Why didn't you make an offer right then and there on the first phone call? Did you agree on a price on the first phone call?

Any updates?
Old 03-21-2014, 08:31 PM
NewportShak
Cruisin'

The price could have easily been worked out.... we were close on the numbers, however, i needed everything to be sent over to me in writing. She knew that. Customer service sure isn't what it used to be.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:32 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

then again, maybe she buys and sells you a few times over daily and isn't real impressed with your amazing sense of entitlement.

Or maybe it's aliens. If I had to really vote on this, I'd say aliens. Wheres the poll, people?? I'm going to remember this in two years and drag it back up, so help me.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:36 PM
Mark1996
Rennlist Member

I am not shocked as this seems to be the case with most customer service situations and not just at Porsche dealers. With millions of people out there and all this internet connectivity, businesses figure that if you do not buy something, somebody else will. Remember how snooty real estate agents were 8 years ago before the crash? Well, the real estate agents at least changed their tune, at least for awhile.

Last edited by Mark1996; 03-21-2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-21-2014, 08:48 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Norcal or Socal? Pathetic - take your business elsewhere (and tell them your $ number and what happened) or just bypass and go the GM if another dealer isn't convenient.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:54 PM
NewportShak
Cruisin'

Default RE: Norcal or SoCal

Dealership is up North. Im in SoCal. Perhaps i can get that car sent over to another dealership as a swap. Any good Porsche dealership/sales recs in Cali?
Old 03-21-2014, 08:56 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NewportShak
Dealership is up North. Im in SoCal. Perhaps i can get that car sent over to another dealership as a swap. Any good Porsche dealership/sales recs in Cali?
Sent you a PM - good luck!
Old 03-21-2014, 09:18 PM
LotF
Advanced

Try another dealer. This one isn't interested in your business. They probably don't have an allocation.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:34 PM
spar10
Instructor

sorry, i don't get what's so horrible here. i'm sure she gets a handful of calls every day with someone promising they're a serious buyer. who knows what the number of those calls are that actually turn into a real sale. sure, she should have called you back but why didn't you just make the deal while you had her on the phone?

when i found a dealer that had my car sitting on a lot i called, gave them my number, waited less than 3 minutes for them to talk it over and had completed the entire deal in less than 10 minutes. again, i'm not sure why you didn't do things while you had her on the phone but it certainly wouldn't have hurt for you to pick up the phone and call her again. who knows, she may have felt bad for not calling you and you could have used that guilt to help sweeten the deal.

in any case, hope you find a new car soon to replace that one if you end up not going back to that dealer.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:46 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

She deserves to lose the sale. I think you gave her too many chances, to be honest.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:55 PM
Porsche Jeff
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a similar experience with a salesperson at a Porsche dealer. I saw a 991 advertised and sent an email around 10:00 pm at night. I didn't expect to get a response within minutes. The next day we had several emails and then suddenly, no communications, nothing, nada. After waiting a day I called and asked for the general manager and explained what happened. he told me the salesperson went home sick and then had his day off. Don't you think he should have told men this and not just drop all communications?

Anyhow, the GM of the dealership from that point took over and was a real pleasure to deal with and even saved me some money and upped the trade in value of my 996TT.

Just my story about my 991 experience.

Quick Reply: Sales Experience - Shocking