Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 issues update and lemon law filling

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 12:08 PM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So there you go and all without raging rant good on you Nick.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:10 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Nick, great to hear!
Caymans are great. Looking forward to the video.
Good luck!
Old 03-20-2014, 01:02 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark1996
Hmmm... I remember visiting the service bay area at my local Porsche dealer and I saw a recent model Porsche up on a lift and it was almost completely taken apart. I asked the mechanic what the problem was with the car and I was told that a local shop had hard wired in a radar detector. In the process, someone at the shop had used a Sawzall to make a cut through the firewall for the wiring. In this process, the Sawzall slipped and cut through the main wiring harness. Anyways, the Porsche dealer was installing a new wiring harness which obviously meant that the car had to be taken apart. I recall that the service person told me that it was costing $30k for all the work and that it was an insurance job.

I am brining the above up because Nick states that his dealer hard wired in both a radar detector and a dash cam. It is possible that the dealer farmed this work out to an independent shop. It could be that Porsche is not at fault here and that the dealer and the independent shop will be left holding the bag. In any event, Nick should get himself legal counsel so the party or parties at fault are held responsible.
I agree, this sounds like a specific dealer issue for sure. However, it is a Porsche dealer, and therefore it is their problem. I'd demand a new 911 and then use another dealer from then on. New problems after every service attempt equals massive red flag. And holding off on 5 star reviews? That ship has sailed. Grade them honestly.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:19 PM
Kero
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nmurray22
Quick update.

First of all, thank all of you for the support and advice you have given me here, simply outstanding that so many of you would take the time to give advice and feedback I am so very grateful to you all. It really means a lot to get support from the owners community. You guys/girls are amazing you truly are. I want to buy you all dinner : )

Good news is that we have progress from PCNA they have called me and expressed regret in the handling of this case and so far been very open and upfront about what they want to do for me. I also got calls and emails from Porsche in Germany. So lots of positive movement.

They also have the regional rep looking at my car. Basically they are talking about buying my car back or getting me a new one. The lemon law arbitration is only a few days away now so if PCNA don't fix this for me then Connecticut Consumer protection laws certainly will. They say it is as strong case as they have ever seen.

So good news. Stay tuned.

Oh I have a Cayman as a loner so I will do a video on that : )

Thanks again everyone.

Nick
Looking forward to your review! Glad to hear Porsche is taking care of you.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:19 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
NO. Don't get an M4. First year of production. Don't learn the same lesson twice!
I don't know if that's fair at all. I think the 991, from 2012.5 til now, has been pretty danged reliable and high quality in all respects.

What major engineering/manufacturing changes have their been from 2012.5 until now? I bet almost zero of any significance.

It, so far, future 996 like bearing issues/etc notwithstanding, has been a stellar car from a reliability and build quality point of view.

There isn't a car made at this level that doesn't have a lemon or two somewhere. And this one may not have even been one originally; it may have became one because of poor dealer service and modifications, as minor as they may have seemed at the time.

As for advocating a new BMW, all that is doing is buying another lemon lottery ticket, probably with a much higher chance of "winning". BMW's are every bit as (in)famous for massive, earth shattering repair bills from seemingly tiny little stray electron issues.

If I was Nick, I'd be upset at Porsche. Heck,, I'm not Nick and I'm upset at Porsche for this. But I'd trust the quality and longevity of the brand any day over BMW. I'm not a BMW hater by any means. My dad and I put 300,000 miles on a 528i with nothing more than routine maintenence plus the occasional muffler, I think a water pump, etc. But working in the industry at the time I also saw horror stories from dealers and service departments that would blow your mind. 50 dollar (dealer cost) parts that cost well over 2 grand to fix because they had to pull the entire dash out to get to it, etc. And that was mostly before the radically over engineered age of microprocessors in every inch of the car like we have today which can make things even more expensive.

There really isn't a brand I would trust at the buy in level of a 911S. IMHO Porsche is every bit as good as all of them, and better than most.

That said, Nick's issue needs to be fixed. Now.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:11 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,621 Likes on 5,094 Posts

Quick update.

First of all, thank all of you for the support and advice you have given me here, simply outstanding that so many of you would take the time to give advice and feedback I am so very grateful to you all. It really means a lot to get support from the owners community. You guys/girls are amazing you truly are. I want to buy you all dinner : )

Good news is that we have progress from PCNA they have called me and expressed regret in the handling of this case and so far been very open and upfront about what they want to do for me. I also got calls and emails from Porsche in Germany. So lots of positive movement.

They also have the regional rep looking at my car. Basically they are talking about buying my car back or getting me a new one. The lemon law arbitration is only a few days away now so if PCNA don't fix this for me then Connecticut Consumer protection laws certainly will. They say it is as strong case as they have ever seen.

Thanks again everyone.

Nick
Good to hear Nick!

Good things happen to good people.

Keep us updated, and best of luck going forward.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:24 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with the arbitration hearing, Nick, and enjoy that Cayman loaner. Can't wait to see the video on that! I'm sure you'll like it more than that Panny loaner they gave you before.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:15 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Great news, Nick! I'm assuming you are not going for money back and just want a new car. You should be able to get exactly what you want, and I would think they'd do everything possible to see you get it ASAP. This is about what I thought would happen once you made your position clear, but its still great news to see its actually happening. Can't wait for your next update, and more good news!
Old 03-20-2014, 07:50 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

WhoooooHoooooo, attaboy !
Old 03-21-2014, 12:22 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Quick update.

Thanks again everyone.

Nick
This is terrific news, Nick. If you take a new pcar, will you go with another C2S?
Old 03-21-2014, 01:01 AM
nmurray22
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
This is terrific news, Nick. If you take a new pcar, will you go with another C2S?
If I get another pcar it would be the C2S with different options this time or the Turbo. Undecided as yet.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:34 AM
EZ E
Pro

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

If you're still having issues I might be able to help and point you in the correct direction. The "Lemon Law" has time constants, the other avenue is what's called Diminished Value. Stop and get an Attorney that knows what's he's or she is doing. ALL manufactures have a 5% defect rate, that's the norm. I've been down this path and the longer you wait the more it's costing you. I'd bet they will not buy it back, they can make you whole in other ways. IE give you $20K and you just trade it in and walk! The Manufacturer doesn't want the car back, they'd rather give you money and end it there. Bottom line is until you get Counsel and let them take care of it they'll string you along and hope you get tired. Legit Counsel will file in Federal Court and trust me that' get's their attention FAST! Good luck E
Old 03-21-2014, 09:05 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like you are on your way to a resolution Nick, so I'm happy for you. I've been through this with BMW a couple of times, and it sounds like Porsche is going to do the right thing for you.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:51 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

good new nick. how about a 50th?!!!!

Be mindful of the CL on the TT.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:44 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Great to hear Nick! You deserve a break mate. All the best!

Quick Reply: 991 issues update and lemon law filling