Sponsored by:

991 issues update and lemon law filling

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 11:26 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by socalsteve
These are words to live by when it comes to anything dealing with consumerism...
guys, its not getting Nick anywhere therefore aggressive measures must be taken. i reserve calm and tactful discussions with those who are working reasonably to help me...if you treat me like sh*t, i'm going to reciprocate and then some
Old 03-17-2014, 11:53 PM
911sanantone
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nick, thanks for sharing the details of your situation. The suggestion to reach out to PCNA is the first next step to getting this solved. I would also recommend contacting your state's attorney's office to obtain a copy of the lemon law. Let PCNA know that you will be pursuing this route but only after they fail to make progress.
It appears that the chances that your dealership will remedy this situation are nil. They have no desire to make this right for you other than attempted repairs that they get reimbursed for. Good luck and please keep us posted.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:04 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,621 Likes on 5,094 Posts

Originally Posted by nmurray22
So here is one more thing. I have 3 customer surveys waiting for my input from the last 3 visits to the dealer. I can not of course give them all 5's because.

1. Nothing was fixed and in fact more things were broken.
2. Communication was poor and sometimes they just avoided me all together, sometimes for a week or more requiring me to visit the dealer for answers.
3. It took them over a week to get me paper work that was not correct

I have told the dealer I will not be giving them 5's and they have asked me not to fill in the surveys at all. I will of course but I am waiting to see that happens with the lemon law filing.

Do you guys think I should just go ahead and do the surveys now?
Yes, fill out the surveys.

Be detailed, factually accurate and honest, as well as completely forthright in your responses.

Only with complete and accurate information from owners will PNA and PAG be able to resolve situations like yours -- whether it is on the dealer's end or on the corporate regional level (PNA) or on a global systemic basis (PAG).
Old 03-18-2014, 12:17 AM
EDEZ TT
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nick, you have made a good faith effort to have the dealer correct the problems, now it's time for escalation within PNA. Unfortunately, the same behaviors are yielding the same results, an unsafe car at temperatures below freezing. If you are comfortable, write a letter with your concerns to Tim Quinn as mentioned earlier, sign it and PDF it. Email is too informal and a PDF=original document in court. The letter should include a timeline of events and the safety concern for you and your passengers while driving your car. Copy/paste the letter into an email, cc the folks at the dealership who you've been working with, attach the PDF of your letter and send.

The letter should include your expected outcome and a timeline for meeting this expectation. Good luck.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:29 AM
yonkers
Intermediate

This makes me furious. Of all the people it has to happen to. You're probably single handedly responsible for half the options upgrades this past year with your videos. It sucks that they're taking advantage of it because of your patience and calm demeanor.
I really hope PCNA comes correct and fixes this for you. Good luck man.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:36 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

According to my GM, PNA takes these surveys seriously.
+1 on finding your regions technical director. He/she will personally look at your car.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:56 AM
ruhlich
Instructor

Nick:

I really feel for you. This just stinks. I've owned a few new German cars and have never had a bad one. Didn't Porsche top the JD Power Survey for the highest reliability for 2012? Better even than any Asian. I never even considered the possibility of ANY issues when I bought the 991 last July, and 4,500 miles later, there aren't any........well, maybe the heater, but we never use it so I'm not really sure. With your car, I would have been devastated.

We have been living several months each year in a motorcoach. The current one is our third and we have spent our fair share of time at the manufacturer getting issues resolved. We have talked to lots of folks who have also invested $500k to well over $1M for their home on wheels and were near their breaking points for getting resolution on, usually, a laundry list of items. I mention this because the "word" circulating among these folks was to never mention "attorney" or "sue" until you were absolutely certain no further progress was being made on improving the situation or reaching a resolution. Because, either of those words automatically stopped any further efforts to help you. And I mean all work stopped right now! The mfg just closed the file and handed it off to their attorneys.

I believe you have received a lot of good advice and you are smart enough to pick those out. My advice to you is to be absolutely certain Porsche is unwilling to make a good-faith effort to resolve your issues and I don't believe you are there yet. (Case number, communication with the respective rep, etc.). And, as long as the dealer is doing "something", Porsche can argue they are trying.

However, I do know of more than one instance where it took litigation, but the owner's got new coaches.

I really wish you the best.

And, great videos......I'm truly envious of your talent.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:25 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-new...rce=newsletter
Old 03-18-2014, 10:40 AM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ruhlich
Nick:

I really feel for you. This just stinks. I've owned a few new German cars and have never had a bad one. Didn't Porsche top the JD Power Survey for the highest reliability for 2012? Better even than any Asian. I never even considered the possibility of ANY issues when I bought the 991 last July, and 4,500 miles later, there aren't any........well, maybe the heater, but we never use it so I'm not really sure. With your car, I would have been devastated.

We have been living several months each year in a motorcoach. The current one is our third and we have spent our fair share of time at the manufacturer getting issues resolved. We have talked to lots of folks who have also invested $500k to well over $1M for their home on wheels and were near their breaking points for getting resolution on, usually, a laundry list of items. I mention this because the "word" circulating among these folks was to never mention "attorney" or "sue" until you were absolutely certain no further progress was being made on improving the situation or reaching a resolution. Because, either of those words automatically stopped any further efforts to help you. And I mean all work stopped right now! The mfg just closed the file and handed it off to their attorneys.

I believe you have received a lot of good advice and you are smart enough to pick those out. My advice to you is to be absolutely certain Porsche is unwilling to make a good-faith effort to resolve your issues and I don't believe you are there yet. (Case number, communication with the respective rep, etc.). And, as long as the dealer is doing "something", Porsche can argue they are trying.

However, I do know of more than one instance where it took litigation, but the owner's got new coaches.

I really wish you the best.

And, great videos......I'm truly envious of your talent.
From what I understand, once you mention lawsuit or lawyer, all communication with the company will cease, however the Lemon Law is different. Once you file the paperwork and demand letter for final repair attempt, the manufacturer will usually want to get you out of the car before they have to go to the arbitration hearings. It's cheaper for them and they can resell the car if they buy it back rather than lemon it.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:01 AM
Spyder_Steph
Advanced

Originally Posted by 991999R
i think this might be a bit more dealer related than Porsche as a marque...screwing around with a canbus electrical system is a dicey proposition and it takes very little to cause a lot of damage.
Nick, I think 991999R is on the right path. Your case is probably more dealer related. Going through your issues -case by case- it seems to me that the car gets worse every time you turn it in your dealership. At this point it's getting very difficult to fix your car for good. And so getting the car replaced is the only option to enjoy a 991S again. I wish you the best of success and luck in your endeavors, and keep us posted about the outcome.
Greetings - SpyderSteph
Old 03-18-2014, 11:04 AM
Finally911
Intermediate

Nick,
Your tact and patience is admirable. I agree w/the suggestion to fill out the CSAT survey with candid, honest feedback. Perhaps in the comments section you can provide a link to your videos. When your case is finally resolved - and I'm certain it will be, the dealer can petition the CSAT score (they've earned the hassle).

Also, how about you suggest a conference call between you, your dealer representative and someone from PCNA? Pick a date and time convenient for you and request their participation. Have your agenda ready and ask them for a plan to resolve the open issues. If their plan is to fix it then ask for detailed Actions, Ownership (Dealer or PCNA), Dates, etc.

Just a thought to consider...
Old 03-18-2014, 11:09 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree with the meeting/con call idea. In my business (IT) when there is a pressing issue we focus on it with daily con calls with the vendor and all important parties until it is addressed to our satisfaction. Maybe daily might be a stretch in this case but on a regular basis would be desirable.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:13 AM
cbenz1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So if they fix it now and you keep it is the value of the car reduced when you sell? I assume car fax will show evidence of issues.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:49 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 231 Posts

Nick,

Congrats on being professional throughout this situation.

I do not agree that this is a dealership fault. The dealership might be pathetic in attempting to fix your car but its manufacturer issues that are the originating factor. Secondly, Porsche should be training their dealers to effectively work on their manufactured cars (they should all have qualified techs right? Isn't that a privelage of buying a Porsche - goes back to the high end quality association to price).

You have paid 6 figures for what should be a very good car (just read all of Porsche's marketing literature) therefore, you need to continue with the Lemon Law case. I went through this when I was younger on a weeks old Mazda 3 (engine went plus a myriad of other issues in build quality) and it ended up with the dealership taking the car back and giving me another but it took months to resolve (I sold the new one the next day).

Plus you have been required to take the car in on countless occassions some of which I'm sure occured while you should be a work etc.

I'm shocked Porsche NA haven't acted.

Last edited by CamsPorsche; 03-18-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:01 PM
Mark1996
Rennlist Member

Hmmm... I remember visiting the service bay area at my local Porsche dealer and I saw a recent model Porsche up on a lift and it was almost completely taken apart. I asked the mechanic what the problem was with the car and I was told that a local shop had hard wired in a radar detector. In the process, someone at the shop had used a Sawzall to make a cut through the firewall for the wiring. In this process, the Sawzall slipped and cut through the main wiring harness. Anyways, the Porsche dealer was installing a new wiring harness which obviously meant that the car had to be taken apart. I recall that the service person told me that it was costing $30k for all the work and that it was an insurance job.

I am brining the above up because Nick states that his dealer hard wired in both a radar detector and a dash cam. It is possible that the dealer farmed this work out to an independent shop. It could be that Porsche is not at fault here and that the dealer and the independent shop will be left holding the bag. In any event, Nick should get himself legal counsel so the party or parties at fault are held responsible.

Last edited by Mark1996; 03-18-2014 at 12:03 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: 991 issues update and lemon law filling