Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Apple Car Play

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

Coming soon .. but unfortunatly not any soon for Porsche
Old 03-04-2014, 11:36 AM
SM_ATL
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would love it, but the super big app icons on the home screen look too much like a Tomtom/garmin cheap and cartoonish interface. It works fine on the iPhone/iPad, not so much in a high end car.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:42 AM
mas8002mi
Track Day

interesting...... will look forward to this.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:00 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the icons are a function of the screen size.

Porsche is currently not expected to offer this as its wants to maintain its profit margins w/ their Proprietary Software- the horrid PCM.

Google, platform will be coming shortly.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:16 PM
enduro963
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Would love it, but the super big app icons on the home screen look too much like a Tomtom/garmin cheap and cartoonish interface. It works fine on the iPhone/iPad, not so much in a high end car.
Looks are one thing, but for me the important is function. Dealing every day with PCM in 997 & 991 platform is a pain. If we all have iPhones or Androids, and all our media and info is there, why not have an extension of that in our cars?

They are late but I will welcome them as soon as they get here!
Old 03-04-2014, 06:59 PM
SM_ATL
Rennlist Member

Totally agree on the functionality piece and the fact that PCM is dated and has bugs.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:44 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, it's ridiculous for a car maker to think that they have the ability to keep up with mobile computing (both hardware and software). This sort of interface could solve a fair number of issues with obsolescence, particularly if it were an open industry standard that could be coded for by any company in the future.

In the meantime, no way in hell am I buying a new car to get this, but it's certainly annoying having PCM bugs and worse maps when this should have been doable for years already. :/
Old 03-05-2014, 12:38 PM
apias
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I think in this case the size is appropriate. If you need to access these functions while driving, you want an easy to hit target to tap, without having to worry about hitting the wrong thing. So, ergonomically, making them small, while it might look prettier, would be a mistake. Also consider that it's an arms-length interface, so they need to be big enough to see clearly.

Last edited by apias; 03-05-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:12 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

VW is in bed with Google for technology, incl autonomous cars ( Audi) , so not gonna see this on any of their brands , incl Porsche
Old 03-05-2014, 02:05 PM
SM_ATL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by apias
I think in this case the size is appropriate. If you need to access these functions while driving, you want an easy to hit target to tap, without having to worry about hitting the wrong thing. So, ergonomically, making them small, while it might look prettier, would be a mistake. Also consider that it's an arms-length interface, so they need to be big enough to see clearly.
The size isn't really what bothers me but rather the colorful icons that make it look cheap (though it does not on an iPhone). I'd be fine if they used the same color scheme as on the PCM for instance (white on black with only a touch of color when needed), but I guess that Apple wants to make the interface clearly identifiable and consistent with their other products.

Now from a hardware AND software standpoint, I test new Google products every 6 months... and keep coming back to Apple. I guess I'd take the big colorful icons vs a Google based system on the PCM.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:11 PM
apias
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

The size isn't really what bothers me but rather the colorful icons that make it look cheap (though it does not on an iPhone). I'd be fine if they used the same color scheme as on the PCM for instance (white on black with only a touch of color when needed), but I guess that Apple wants to make the interface clearly identifiable and consistent with their other products.

Now from a hardware AND software standpoint, I test new Google products every 6 months... and keep coming back to Apple. I guess I'd take the big colorful icons vs a Google based system on the PCM.
Yeah, who wants Google tracking everywhere you go in your car?

Quick Reply: Apple Car Play