Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Apple Car Play (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/803285-apple-car-play.html)

Romantic911 03-04-2014 09:28 AM

Apple Car Play

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

Coming soon .. but unfortunatly not any soon for Porsche :rtfm:

SM_ATL 03-04-2014 11:36 AM

Would love it, but the super big app icons on the home screen look too much like a Tomtom/garmin cheap and cartoonish interface. It works fine on the iPhone/iPad, not so much in a high end car.

mas8002mi 03-04-2014 11:42 AM

interesting...... will look forward to this.

kosmo 03-04-2014 12:00 PM

the icons are a function of the screen size.

Porsche is currently not expected to offer this as its wants to maintain its profit margins w/ their Proprietary Software- the horrid PCM.

Google, platform will be coming shortly.

enduro963 03-04-2014 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by SM_ATL (Post 11184839)
Would love it, but the super big app icons on the home screen look too much like a Tomtom/garmin cheap and cartoonish interface. It works fine on the iPhone/iPad, not so much in a high end car.

Looks are one thing, but for me the important is function. Dealing every day with PCM in 997 & 991 platform is a pain. If we all have iPhones or Androids, and all our media and info is there, why not have an extension of that in our cars?

They are late but I will welcome them as soon as they get here!

SM_ATL 03-04-2014 06:59 PM

Totally agree on the functionality piece and the fact that PCM is dated and has bugs.

mrstep 03-04-2014 07:44 PM

Yep, it's ridiculous for a car maker to think that they have the ability to keep up with mobile computing (both hardware and software). This sort of interface could solve a fair number of issues with obsolescence, particularly if it were an open industry standard that could be coded for by any company in the future.

In the meantime, no way in hell am I buying a new car to get this, but it's certainly annoying having PCM bugs and worse maps when this should have been doable for years already. :/

apias 03-05-2014 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by SM_ATL (Post 11184839)

I think in this case the size is appropriate. If you need to access these functions while driving, you want an easy to hit target to tap, without having to worry about hitting the wrong thing. So, ergonomically, making them small, while it might look prettier, would be a mistake. Also consider that it's an arms-length interface, so they need to be big enough to see clearly.

MKW 03-05-2014 01:12 PM

VW is in bed with Google for technology, incl autonomous cars ( Audi) , so not gonna see this on any of their brands , incl Porsche

SM_ATL 03-05-2014 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by apias (Post 11187796)
I think in this case the size is appropriate. If you need to access these functions while driving, you want an easy to hit target to tap, without having to worry about hitting the wrong thing. So, ergonomically, making them small, while it might look prettier, would be a mistake. Also consider that it's an arms-length interface, so they need to be big enough to see clearly.

The size isn't really what bothers me but rather the colorful icons that make it look cheap (though it does not on an iPhone). I'd be fine if they used the same color scheme as on the PCM for instance (white on black with only a touch of color when needed), but I guess that Apple wants to make the interface clearly identifiable and consistent with their other products.

Now from a hardware AND software standpoint, I test new Google products every 6 months... and keep coming back to Apple. I guess I'd take the big colorful icons vs a Google based system on the PCM.

apias 03-05-2014 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by SM_ATL (Post 11188052)
The size isn't really what bothers me but rather the colorful icons that make it look cheap (though it does not on an iPhone). I'd be fine if they used the same color scheme as on the PCM for instance (white on black with only a touch of color when needed), but I guess that Apple wants to make the interface clearly identifiable and consistent with their other products.

Now from a hardware AND software standpoint, I test new Google products every 6 months... and keep coming back to Apple. I guess I'd take the big colorful icons vs a Google based system on the PCM.

Yeah, who wants Google tracking everywhere you go in your car?