Sponsored by:

2015 991 Facelift

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 09:06 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by hzoenvy33
That is a lot of "bar talk" (I don't know if there is an experience in Englisch like the German "Stammtisch"...)..
I don't know if there is either, but I like it and I'm going to start using it.

Anyway, I can live with the washers, I just wish they could make them smaller, but that's fine.

I absolutely think they need to come up with a darker dash for the beige and platinum interiors as standard. The glare they throw up on the windshield is absolutely massive. Far more I'd be willing to bet than anything a dirty headlight is capabile of.

I do wonder what the manifest destiny is WRT active aerodymanics. Maybe its the future and we'll see it on every surface including huge spoilers popping up on the roof to help breaking, split wings to help in turns and little vortex generators all over the place to squeeze an extra 0.01 mpg out of it.

If we're talking about a Prius, I'd say hmmmm, cool, I guess. There's just something about stuff like that on a 911 much beyond the already pushing it rear wing that makes me take pause and think

But I guess time stands still for nothing, not even the timeless 911. The 991 has a lot of tech all up in her, yet they totally managed to pull it off.

Though I still can't wrap my head around that new Targa contraption…I'd say Corvette wins that round
Old 03-15-2014, 10:46 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden

OK that was funny!

Also thanks for the explanations.
Funny, yet...

I really don't understand what the point of 'washers' is if they don't have wipers as well. How often does spraying a bit of fluid at stuck bugs or other dirt actually clean it off? It's like suggesting not needing wiper blades on your windshield because the fluid will just take care of everything, right?

So as shipped, I don't care, it's nothing I really notice, so I can live with the 'warts' in front of the headlights, but at the same time it just seems to be a waste of wiper fluid. Same deal on my XC90. If you actually want it clean, plan to clean it by hand. Ridiculous law, IMO.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:48 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mrstep
I really don't understand what the point of 'washers' is if they don't have wipers as well. How often does spraying a bit of fluid at stuck bugs or other dirt actually clean it off?
It's a high pressure spray. It will take the smashed buggers and send them clear into the next county! It will also cover your entire car in the fluid. Not recommended unless your car is real dirty and you are planning to wash it anyway.

Originally Posted by mrstep
If you actually want it clean, plan to clean it by hand.
Oh yes, I agree 'hand cleaning' is the best way....everytime!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2014, 11:58 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,031 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
It's a high pressure spray. It will take the smashed buggers and send them clear into the next county! It will also cover your entire car in the fluid. Not recommended unless your car is real dirty and you are planning to wash it anyway.

Oh yes, I agree 'hand cleaning' is the best way....everytime!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

I think it is more for winter salt and slush more than summer bugs.

How come my detailers don't wear heels like that?
Old 03-16-2014, 12:10 PM
hzoenvy33
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
LED on the 991 & 991 Turbo DO have washers and it's probably related to the fact they only come with PDLS. The 918 doesn't seem to have PDLS, so that is why perhaps they are not mandated on that model (or it gets an exception as a limited production) even though it's does have LED headlights! We still need a light expert to step up!

I don't think headlight washers have anything to do with how 'bright' the Xenons are..I think it has to do with cleaning debris away from lenses in foul weather so that light rays are not diverted away & blind upcoming traffic! Xenons focus differently than Halogens & thus are more 'sensitive' to this type of obstruction & diversion of light! Remember these are self-levelling headlights that adjust for height, etc and are further complicated by the PDLS functions, which include dynamic cornering, speed-dependent headlight range control, etc (see third attachment).

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Eduardo,
actually it has something to do with the "brightness" of the lights.

According to "ECE regulation 48 (Article 6.2.9)":

(I'm paraphrasing, because I only have the German version):
"All lamps with a brightness over 2000 Lumen must be equipped with a washer"

The 918 lights are just a bit below the 2000 Lumen.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:43 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hzoenvy33

The 918 lights are just a bit below the 2000 Lumen.
as are the 981 standard Xenons (no PDLS), and no washers too
Old 01-01-2015, 04:04 PM
pkumar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those flaps look very similar to the active ones on the my15 cayenne hybrid. i also do not see a fuel filler tank on the un-guised 991.2

i am guessing a hybrid version.

we'll find out this summer

i will update you when i get to training.

Quick Reply: 2015 991 Facelift