Sponsored by:

Ongoing change over valve issues on 991

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 11:48 PM
bdoug67
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Code reset after DIY valve replacements

Hello, Thanks for all of the great tutorials and information about the Change Over Valve issue. Recently, the "Fault cooling system" message came on in my 2013 C4S, so I replaced 7 COVs in the engine bay (and the new wiring harnesses). Does anyone have a suggestion on a diagnostic tool that would reset the error code? Thanks for the help!
Old 11-19-2019, 11:57 PM
wilsonaudio
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Schwaben Scan Tool with the Porsche software on it. I was able to read the codes and erase them using this tool. It will reset oil changes and inspection intervals as well. Glad to hear you were able to replace 7 of the COV valves. I've only replaced 3 so far. Heater is working nicely again.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...020sch01a~scf/
Old 11-21-2019, 12:05 AM
bdoug67
4th Gear

Originally Posted by wilsonaudio
I have a Schwaben Scan Tool with the Porsche software on it. I was able to read the codes and erase them using this tool. It will reset oil changes and inspection intervals as well. Glad to hear you were able to replace 7 of the COV valves. I've only replaced 3 so far. Heater is working nicely again.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...020sch01a~scf/
Thanks again! Just placed an order, Pelican is having a 20% off sale on the scanners - promo code TOOL20...if anyone else needs one.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:02 AM
flgfish
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by bdoug67
Hello, Thanks for all of the great tutorials and information about the Change Over Valve issue. Recently, the "Fault cooling system" message came on in my 2013 C4S, so I replaced 7 COVs in the engine bay (and the new wiring harnesses). Does anyone have a suggestion on a diagnostic tool that would reset the error code? Thanks for the help!
So you replaced all of them? Did you need to get the car on a lift, or were you able to do it on jack stands?
Thanks
Old 12-03-2019, 09:01 AM
bdoug67
4th Gear

For the first 6 (in the top of the engine bay - passenger side) - no lift or stands.
One on the transmission was very tight on RhinoRamps.
Later - I found one more (on the transmission) that I used a lift for (that ended up being number 8). I don't think I could have gotten it on the ramps.

After resetting the P1433 error - it came back, so I have it in the shop checking for vacuum leaks. My PSE is not working (always on).
Old 12-04-2019, 11:45 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by bdoug67
For the first 6 (in the top of the engine bay - passenger side) - no lift or stands.
One on the transmission was very tight on RhinoRamps.
Later - I found one more (on the transmission) that I used a lift for (that ended up being number 8). I don't think I could have gotten it on the ramps.

After resetting the P1433 error - it came back, so I have it in the shop checking for vacuum leaks. My PSE is not working (always on).
Thanks! I ordered 5 valves and will be changing them all to version F... I had three done a year ago.
I assume the bumper has to come off, correct?
Old 12-05-2019, 08:11 PM
bdoug67
4th Gear

There may be a couple that can be changed without the bumper removed - but I took the bumper, spoiler, and airbox off.
The following users liked this post:
flgfish (12-07-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 12:44 PM
rep007
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2013 heater is not working, so I am in the same boat. Is all 8 utilizing the same COV or are they each different? Can you please provide the part number for each or hopefully its the same COV part for all 8. I am tempted to do this myself. The Bethesda Porsche dealer wants $993.00 to replace one COV. Ridiculous.
Last question. Is it possible to reach the heater COV without removing the bumper?

Thanks!!
Old 12-17-2019, 12:54 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by rep007
My 2013 heater is not working, so I am in the same boat. Is all 8 utilizing the same COV or are they each different? Can you please provide the part number for each or hopefully its the same COV part for all 8. I am tempted to do this myself. The Bethesda Porsche dealer wants $993.00 to replace one COV. Ridiculous.
Last question. Is it possible to reach the heater COV without removing the bumper?

Thanks!!
Pretty sure I read above that you can do the heater one without taking the bumper off. I would be remiss if I did not mention that if a 2-left-thumbs bozo like me can remove the bumper in 15 minutes, so can you... Not sure if it makes it easier or not... But the bumper job is really easy and well documented here, and worth a nice $900 savings if helpful !
Old 12-17-2019, 01:49 PM
VA951
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

My heat has been working, then not, then back to working, and now not. I am assuming it is the heater COV sticking. No biggie as my 2013 is still under CPO but I have already cancelled one service because it started working and I now have another appointment but if it starts working again I anticipate the dealer will say no issues.

I plan to push them about changing it anyway but anticipate they will fight it.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:52 PM
wilsonaudio
Track Day

Default No need to remove bumper for heater COV

There is no need to remove the bumper to change out the heater COV. Please watch my video that shows the positioning and procedure to access the heater COV valve. You will need to remove the rear spoiler to gain access to this part. Removing the rear spoiler is easier and takes less time to remove compared to the bumper cover (which is also easy to remove).
The valves you need are here and here:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/7PP906283F.html

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/7PP906283F.html

I believe all of the change over valves are the same on the 991. Please confirm this with Suncoast before ordering.

Be careful to install the COV hoses in the right order. It is easy to misconnect them.

The COV replacement is fairly easy for the COV's on the top side of the engine. I was easily able to do the exchange in about an hour with minimal tools.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:02 PM
rep007
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's fantastic news. (Thank you!).
Do you have a link of the video that shows you replacing?

Thanks again. I will attempt this and report back. Nice savings!
Old 12-17-2019, 02:56 PM
wilsonaudio
Track Day

Please see my post #111. I don't show the process of removing the spoiler but the placement of the heater COV is shown. The removal and replacement of the COV is pretty straight forward once you find the location in the engine bay.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:39 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by VA951
My heat has been working, then not, then back to working, and now not. I am assuming it is the heater COV sticking. No biggie as my 2013 is still under CPO but I have already cancelled one service because it started working and I now have another appointment but if it starts working again I anticipate the dealer will say no issues. I plan to push them about changing it anyway but anticipate they will fight it.
Maybe not. My dealer could not reproduce either but they can use their PIWIS to actuate the valve I think and saw errors there, they replaced it for me under goodwill (!) on my 2013 a few months past warranty. Since you are CPO there should be no fighting required.
Old 12-17-2019, 05:29 PM
VA951
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg D.
Maybe not. My dealer could not reproduce either but they can use their PIWIS to actuate the valve I think and saw errors there, they replaced it for me under goodwill (!) on my 2013 a few months past warranty. Since you are CPO there should be no fighting required.

That's good news, we will see what happens.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Ongoing change over valve issues on 991