Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ongoing change over valve issues on 991

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 12:40 AM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 118 Posts

Thanks! On the manual cars it appears to be below the transaxle, and therefore, likely easier to get to. I’ll have to lift mine up to see.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:24 AM
humpday
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '16 GTS with bad COV

Has anybody been to able get PCNA to cover this? I don't care if this is a $20 fix or a $5000 one. Just out of principle, Porsche should step up and take ownership of this problem given its prevalence.

Rant.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:51 AM
BlueShell
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 81 Posts

2014 Carrera S w/ 18,000 miles checking in with a Cooling System Failure message last weekend.

I was at an autocross when it happened and was monitoring temps. No fluctuation in the oil and coolant temps. Turned on the heat and got nothing but ambient temp air. I'm out of warranty but have the Fidelity Platinum warranty. Scheduled an appointment with Porsche for next week.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:00 PM
mymac
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Good call on the Fidelity.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:21 PM
GR8UK
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by humpday
Has anybody been to able get PCNA to cover this? I don't care if this is a $20 fix or a $5000 one. Just out of principle, Porsche should step up and take ownership of this problem given its prevalence.

Rant.
How did you do with PCNA? I'm running into the same problem on my '14 Cayman S. I've replaced all 5 COVs, replaced the vacuum pump, and the check valve going to the brake booster. I'm hoping PCNA will come through, but want to find out about "success" factors in negotiating for them to pick up the expense.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:25 PM
BlueShell
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 81 Posts

For posterity, my 2014 991.1S has about 18,000 miles on it. One of the nine changeover valves went bust. I'm out of CPO warranty but I have the Fidelity Platinum warranty.

Took my car to Porsche, and they work with Fidelity Directly. Porsche charged about $900 total in labor and part (I think the part was around $50 so it was bout $850 for labor). I only had to pay for my deductible for the warranty.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:29 PM
humpday
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GR8UK
How did you do with PCNA? I'm running into the same problem on my '14 Cayman S. I've replaced all 5 COVs, replaced the vacuum pump, and the check valve going to the brake booster. I'm hoping PCNA will come through, but want to find out about "success" factors in negotiating for them to pick up the expense.
They didn't say one way or the other whether they'd pay for it. They just told me that I'm out of warranty and that I should take it to a Porsche service center.

I live in the bay area so not having heat (especially in the summer) doesn't bother me quite yet. So I haven't acted on it yet because it doesn't sound like a cheap fix. I know I'm going to have to do it sooner or later though.

I'm interested to see if anyone had success with PCNA also.

​​​​
Old 07-21-2020, 04:46 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by humpday
They didn't say one way or the other whether they'd pay for it. They just told me that I'm out of warranty and that I should take it to a Porsche service center.

I live in the bay area so not having heat (especially in the summer) doesn't bother me quite yet. So I haven't acted on it yet because it doesn't sound like a cheap fix. I know I'm going to have to do it sooner or later though.

I'm interested to see if anyone had success with PCNA also.
​​​​
The heater COV is very easy to get to. You just take off the bumper cover & air box, and it's right there, easy as pie to change.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:51 PM
Josh(PA)
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

Is this an issue with .2 cars, or only .1s? When the COV dies, does it throw a code or how do you know if one is not functioning?
Old 07-21-2020, 06:39 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 315 Posts

Is there anything difficult about replacing the wiring harness? Has anyone detailed that specific part of the process? I know that with an early 2013 MY car that I probably have very old revision COV's and once one of them inevitably fail, I want to go to a newer part number for sure.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:40 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Josh(PA)
Is this an issue with .2 cars, or only .1s? When the COV dies, does it throw a code or how do you know if one is not functioning?
Seems like all .1's from what I've personally encountered. The common things people seem to run into are:
  1. Lack of heat
  2. PSE stuck in either "off" or "on" - won't toggle with the button
  3. Coolant warning fault
The third one seems to be the only one that shows any sort of error. The first two can be completely independent of any warning lights.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:03 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
Is there anything difficult about replacing the wiring harness? Has anyone detailed that specific part of the process? I know that with an early 2013 MY car that I probably have very old revision COV's and once one of them inevitably fail, I want to go to a newer part number for sure.
The wiring harness change is very easy. There adapter just clips into both sides. I bundled up the extra wire length.
The actual vacuum lines can be tough to get off. If there's some play, just cut that part off. You can work it off on the ones that have some room around them, but the ones deeper in the engine or under the transaxle, that's the only really fiddly part of the procedure.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:08 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flgfish
The wiring harness change is very easy. There adapter just clips into both sides. I bundled up the extra wire length.
The actual vacuum lines can be tough to get off. If there's some play, just cut that part off. You can work it off on the ones that have some room around them, but the ones deeper in the engine or under the transaxle, that's the only really fiddly part of the procedure.
Thank you, that's most helpful! I've had a lot of the vacuum lines off already as I did the serpentine belt last winter, and I agree, they can be tricky to remove! I find it difficult to remove any sort of rubber hoses. Even the air intake off the throttle body can be a pain in the ***.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:16 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
Seems like all .1's from what I've personally encountered. The common things people seem to run into are:
  1. Lack of heat
  2. PSE stuck in either "off" or "on" - won't toggle with the button
  3. Coolant warning fault
The third one seems to be the only one that shows any sort of error. The first two can be completely independent of any warning lights.
Thanks for the summary. Just catching up on this thread, I have a '14 50th with 12k miles so I'll be on the lookout
Old 09-04-2020, 12:19 PM
barrios35
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 991.2 but early 2016 delivery. Just joined this club....Coolant warning failure.

"it looks like we need to replace a valve on the back of the engine for the heater, per the diagnosis. We have the part here but it does require the engine to be lowered out as it is impossible to replace with the engine in the car. " UGH!!!

Quick Reply: Ongoing change over valve issues on 991