Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ongoing change over valve issues on 991

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 12:31 AM
ftc3
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts

They call it a harness but its really a plug conversion adapter. If you are changing to the “F” version, you will need the harness for each COV otherwise its not needed when using the “C”.
The following users liked this post:
koala (04-02-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 01:51 AM
flgfish
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ftc3
They call it a harness but its really a plug conversion adapter. If you are changing to the “F” version, you will need the harness for each COV otherwise its not needed when using the “C”.
Exactly right. The new F valves have a different connector on the housing, so you need the adapter.
The following users liked this post:
koala (04-02-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 08:45 PM
ftc3
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts

Finally finished this job. Wow was that not fun. Out of the 6 in the engine bay, only one had been changed to the F. The other 5 were B.

The exhaust button is now working again. Win for me and my neighbors.
The following 2 users liked this post by ftc3:
flgfish (04-06-2022), koala (04-02-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 03:56 PM
epuente01
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ongoing change over valve issues on 991

Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Part 1

I do not mean to light a fire for nothing, but I got increasingly concerned by what seems to be a lingering issue with change over valves in the 991.

Here's a picture of the part in question (the part number is 7PP906283B, now replaced by 7PP906283C):

Based on a quick research on the internet, it looks like Porsche was aware of the issue for early 2012 builds and that launched a recall campaign (WC-43) intended at replacing 8 of these valves.

In my case, my sport exhaust stopped functioning and 3 out of the 4 change over valves I have checked were bad (I did not check the others).

There are also various threads about 991's built at different times that have had heating/cooling system issued. Again, the same part was the culprit.

I find it intriguing that it has been going on for so long and that Porsche has apparently not resolved the issue.
The first concern I have is that you may not always detect that something is wrong: it is only when my sport exhaust stopped working properly that I discovered it, but the valves controlling the symposer and the intake flap were already bad. The second concern is that I read that this part would be used in more critical components (PDK).

Change over valves (simple solenoids in fact) are a very common part and Pierburg, the manufacturer, supplies it to a lot of car makers, including for the previous 911 models. This part number is specific to the 991 and seems to be the one having an issue. They may not be sealing properly allowing moisture in, causing the valves to malfunction over time.

I am not posting this to alarm you but to keep this in mind and report if you had other issues resulting from the failure of that same part.
Having already had 3 bad solenoids, I intend to drop the car at the dealership to get it checked.
Hi, what you are posting is very interesting, thanks! Please let me know if you can give me some insights with the following: I have a 2013 - 991, having problems because the car wont get the right operating coolant temperature (90°). I have changed the thermostat 3 times. When I change it, the car works fine for no more than 500 kms, then the thermostat fails again, it gets totally broken not working again at all, the car is as if it had no thermostat.. Do you think that my problem could be related to the change over valves? I am really desperate, if I dont find a solution I will sell the car. Thanks!!!
Old 06-10-2022, 02:14 AM
Otakugamer
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

You changed the thermostat three times. Did you diagnose the issue yourself? Have you brought it to a dealer or reputable Indy to have it looked at?
Old 06-11-2022, 02:35 PM
z168
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Looks like I have this problem now. 4 mos into CPO ownership. Entire passenger side and windshield vents are blowing heat instead of cold
Old 07-18-2022, 11:51 PM
Pilota
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Fascinating topic that I am fortunate to find as I need help
2015 targa 4s 35k miles tech art exhaust
water pump replaced last year as there was a radiator line that &ailed.
spirited drive last week after oil change and rear tires 7/10. In sport plus
Total enjoyment until start feeling brakes pulsing mid corner
then a moment later ABS momentarily light flashing took it out of sport plus and put in normal drive and chassis modes
exhaust quieted down as expected no more abs lights all fine
several moments of driving 5/10 then the coolant system fault consult a workshop light came on
temp solid at 194.

told today multiple failures of vacuum lines
at air box and air symposer two solenoids fried venerating massive heat
$2400 extended warranty covering 500 (700minus 200:deductible ) they are cover 3/5 hours of labor and two solenoids.

love this car but I am fearful that I have found another Ferrari money pit

i do not recall any COV campaign owned the car since new bought it after lease expired and cpo’d car that warranty expired last year then added 5 yr 50k mile CNA National extend warranty

Old 07-19-2022, 10:41 AM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 100 Posts

I replaced all my valves and the wiring harness (with the new version) and all has been fine since, including track sessions. Don't give up!
Old 07-19-2022, 11:07 AM
PHLY991
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I did at least 4 of my change over valves in my 2014 991.1S when I bought the car last winter. I bought all 8 valves from SunCoast (about $35 ea plus harnesses), however, I only changed out those 4 that were readily accessible with the rear bumper cover removed. I also changed my air intake filters while I was in there. It was an easy job.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:06 PM
Pilota
Advanced

Thanks Scott for your encouragement
spoke with my trusted Porsche service advisor who informed me if I was to replace all the crossover valves the labor would be an additional $2400 due to dropping the engine, removing intakes etc.
He said since the 991.1 came out he has only had to replace the cross over valves in three cars and they were all the same CVOs as mine. He has not seen the other cross over valves needing replacement.
as the car is out of CPO warranty he spoke with the PCNA rep who said NO They will NOT cover any of the needed repair especially since I now have a non Porsche extended warranty
that warranty thinks the vacuum parts are normal wear and rear and they are limiting their exposure.
we know that it’s not wear and tear but a bad part.
caught between a rock and a rock told my good friend the Porsche service writer that I am done with Porsche and will no longer buy their product
they won’t miss me only had 8 P cars since 2012. Not one a GT3 or turbo.

will bite the bullet and replace the two CVO but” I have lost that loving feeling” between 100k adm for a GT3 now this

still don’t understand why the ABS was involved with the failed CVO

Last edited by Pilota; 07-19-2022 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:11 PM
Pilota
Advanced

Phyl991

Which CVOs did you replace?
my car is at the dealer with the rear bumper off
I will ask to have the readily accessible ones replaced.
to replace all is to expensive

Last edited by Pilota; 07-19-2022 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 07-19-2022, 08:15 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 315 Posts

Pilota, please try to find a reputable indy in your area. Your experience will likely be much better, and you'll save a ton of money.

I seem to recall someone here replacing every COV on their car and that there was no need to drop the engine. Their total bill was under $2k w/ labour if I recall correctly.
Old 07-20-2022, 12:24 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 100 Posts

I agree with Koala, you don't need to drop the engine. Some of those valves are a real b**ch to change, and will scar knuckles, but you don't have to drop the engine. An independent will serve you better for this, at less than $2,000.
Old 11-15-2022, 12:07 PM
dbb888
1st Gear

Originally Posted by flgfish
And my car is throwing P1432 again - vacuum leak. I assume I have another bad changeover valve. Getting 3 replaced last November cost $1200. This is ridiculous.
Any chance you can send me a copy of your repair bill? I have an after market warranty claim for 3 change over valves to be replaced and the warranty company said it will only approve 1.5 hours labor time and I have to pay the rest unless I can prove Porsche charges that much
Old 04-15-2023, 02:08 PM
lanza360
Track Day

Well just join the Fault Cooling system, I removed the bumper and spoiler to get the access to the COV, they all look good, I spoke to a Porsche mechanic and he said it is one of the valves, he said test vacuum pressure on them, ordered the tester will see what happens, I spoke to PCNA and they said I need to take the car and get a diagnostic before they can see if they will cover, so I get I will try to do it myself and see if the COV are good because they are look. I also wrote to Porsche and PCNA on twitter to see if I can get their attention on a public forum.

Not really want to spend $2000 + taking the car to the dealer.

also when I took the car apart I found the metal hose clamp was not tighten so maybe that was causing the issue, the hose was in place. please see attached picture. I am thinking of clearing the code see what happens.

any one can think that may be the issue?

it is ok to drive the car with the warning?

Quick Reply: Ongoing change over valve issues on 991